Exodus 23 The Land

seekeroftruth

Exodus 23:31 “I will establish your borders from the Red Sea[a] to the Mediterranean Sea, and from the desert to the Euphrates River. I will give into your hands the people who live in the land, and you will drive them out before you. 32 Do not make a covenant with them or with their gods. 33 Do not let them live in your land or they will cause you to sin against me, because the worship of their gods will certainly be a snare to you.”

a. Exodus 23:31 Or the Sea of Reeds
b. Exodus 23:31 Hebrew to the Sea of the Philistines

So even this got messed up by humans.

Here's the commentary from studylight.org.

From the Red Sea to the Sea of the Philistines, and from the desert to the River: This encompasses a huge portion of land, one that Israel has never fully possessed.

God may grant, but we must possess. He withholds our possession of many blessings until we will partner with Him in bold faith and obedience.

We have been granted every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ; but will only possess what we will partner with Him in faith and obedience to receive.

God is not an indulgent, spoiling father, pouring out on His children resources, blessings, and gifts they are not ready to receive or be responsible with.​

You shall make no covenant with them: Through lack of discernment, Israel did end up making a covenant with some of the people of the land (Joshua 9:1-27). There is no area of the law that Israel - or anyone - has ever kept perfectly.

I can remember, growing up, how my parents would tell me I could earn my allowance. Problem is.... I only received what I earned. Much like the Israelites.... I didn't always do everything I was told to do.... I hated raking leaves while all the others were at the field playing ball. After all, my buddy was the catcher.

:coffee:

Promised_boundaries.jpg