8 men as rich as 1/2 the world

Clem72

Funniest part, we know for a fact those aren't the 8 richest people in the world. Not even close. Hell, the fairly recent Panama leaks showed Putin to have more than 200 Billion with a single banking firm.

This_person

Funniest part, we know for a fact those aren't the 8 richest people in the world. Not even close. Hell, the fairly recent Panama leaks showed Putin to have more than 200 Billion with a single banking firm.

At least you addressed the larger point being made.

Oh, wait, nevermind......

Clem72

Was it my responsibility to address it? I haven't done the research, and that article doesn't have enough information to actually lead to a response. But If I have to address it then yes, I agree, the rich have more than the poor.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

yeah that is not common 'public' knowledge - just leaked from the Panama Papers .... the wealth in the OP is publicly known

b23hqb

PREMO Member

Don't worry about ol' Clem. He's gonna build his wealth in that pillowcase and mattress of his, and depend on his pension from wherever.

Clem72

yeah that is not common 'public' knowledge - just leaked from the Panama Papers .... the wealth in the OP is publicly known

I would also argue that the methodology is incorrect, and that a true accounting cannot be had for many reasons. #1, because we can't tell who really holds the wealth, and #2, because we can't count the wealth of the "poor". People with a ton of money have most of that money in forms that can be easily tallied (bank accounts, investments, land, businesses, etc.), people with very little money have most of their relative wealth in possessions that may be difficult to count, earn their money off the books (and keep it out of bank accounts), etc. I may earn as much as 5 day laborers you can pick up from the front of Home Depot, but I bet I have more "assets" on the books than 20. Doesn't mean I have more wealth in fact than 20 of them, only that my assets are more easily counted. I guess not the easiest concept to articulate, but that's also why I don't think it's reflected in this study.

b23hqb said:
Don't worry about ol' Clem. He's gonna build his wealth in that pillowcase and mattress of his, and depend on his pension from wherever.

Why is it I can't comment on a part of a story without someone making assumptions about how I feel on the rest of the story. I can call BS on their accounting methods without making a statement on wealth inequality. P.S. Go #### yourself.

Last edited:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I may earn as much as 5 day laborers you can pick up from the front of Home Depot, but I bet I have more "assets" on the books than 20. Doesn't mean I have more wealth in fact than 20 of them, only that my assets are more easily counted. I guess not the easiest concept to articulate, but that's also why I don't think it's reflected in this study.

depending on the value of your assets and what you own - those 20 guys could easily have more free cash flow

yeah Putin may have 200 billion in a bank or banks somewhere .... but he and other Oligarchs are not counted in this instance
- you might have said the same about Saddam before his death or Arafat he allegedly hid 100's of Millions

This_person

Was it my responsibility to address it? I haven't done the research, and that article doesn't have enough information to actually lead to a response. But If I have to address it then yes, I agree, the rich have more than the poor.

If you're trying to prove you don't get the larger point, you've succeeded.

The people mentioned are generally very vocal about people being greedy for not sharing their wealth, and for not paying sufficient taxes, and generally for not being as perfect as they are. Except, they're not.

While it is true that Gates gives away a great deal of money, he can't compare with J.K. Rowling, who went from billionaire to multi-millionaire status due to generous giving. When Gates, and Buffet, and Bezos, and Zuckerberg, etc., become millionaires, I might listen to their point of view on sharing wealth.