Obama commutes most of Chelsea Manning's sentence

Chris0nllyn

President Obama on Tuesday largely commuted the remaining prison sentence of Chelsea Manning, the army intelligence analyst convicted of an enormous 2010 leak that revealed American military and diplomatic activities across the world, disrupted the administration, and made WikiLeaks, the recipient of those disclosures, famous.

The decision by Mr. Obama rescued Ms. Manning, who twice tried to commit suicide last year, from an uncertain future as a transgender woman incarcerated at the male military prison at Fort Leavenworth, Kan. She has been jailed for nearly seven years, and her 35-year sentence was by far the longest punishment ever imposed in the United States for a leak conviction.

...Ms. Manning is set to be freed in five months, on May 17 of this year, rather than in 2045.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/17/...s-bulk-of-chelsea-mannings-sentence.html?_r=0

Edit: Oops. Just noticed the dupe.

Hijinx

http://thehill.com/policy/national-security/314674-obama-pardons-james-cartwright-in-leak-case

So, Manning gets a pass due to PC BS. While this other guy, who I'm sure leaked on command, gets his for falling on his sword.

Obama released 10 more terrorists from Gitmo yesterday and yet he will not pardon army Lt Lorance who ordered his men to shoot a motorcyclist they suspected was a terrorist. Seems if you want a release, be a Muslim terrorist and not a Soldier trying to do his duty.

Well Maybe Trump will pardon him.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Russia hacks the DNC, the left (including Obama) go :jameo:

Bradley Manning commits a crime deserving of the death penalty, allegedly resulted in the deaths of many, and put our entire nation at risk and he gets a mighty :high5: from president Obama.

I'm honestly not surprised.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Russia hacks the DNC, the left (including Obama) go :jameo:

Bradley Manning commits a crime Embarrassing the Bush Administration War in Iraq - and he is a HERO of the Left.*

:fixed:

*as was Julian Assange until he gored Hillary's OX - exposing DNC collusion

PsyOps

Pixelated
This is one last "eff you" to America from our "president".

I really think that's it. This has to be the most bitter president I've ever seen. Commuting Manning is just inexplicable. Obama has made clear his complete disregard for national security. And he really wants to attach this his legacy?

Of course Manning will likely not even be able to get a job at McDonalds. He will have to stay in hiding or leave the country. I don’t think he will be safe anywhere. Obama may have done more harm than good to Manning.

SamSpade

Presumably Assange has said he'd give himself up if Manning were pardoned.

It was a horrible move - because Manning's treason DID cost lives.

glhs837

Power with Control
I really think that's it. This has to be the most bitter president I've ever seen. Commuting Manning is just inexplicable. Obama has made clear his complete disregard for national security. And he really wants to attach this his legacy?

Of course Manning will likely not even be able to get a job at McDonalds. He will have to stay in hiding or leave the country. I don’t think he will be safe anywhere. Obama may have done more harm than good to Manning.

Oh, no, he'll make millions on the lecture circuit.

glhs837

Power with Control
Didn't think about that. Or maybe a motivational speaker. It's pretty freaky knowing people will actually attend hisher speeches.

And probably squander it on whatever the TS equivalent of hookers and blow is and end up I an alley somewhere trying to sell his pardon on Ebay.

Clem72

It was a horrible move - because Manning's treason DID cost lives.

Not to say I disagree with this sentiment, but do we actually have information that this is the case? The last I had heard there were no attributable deaths.