ISO Information Door to Door Scammers

Forkian

I have had an increase in people coming to my door to sell me alternative power companies (say cheaper than SMECO/BGE, etc) or wanting to give me "free" solar panels. They don't take no for an answer right away and if you don't answer the door they keep coming back to aggravate you later. How do you deal with them?
Thinking about putting up a No Solicitation sign, but doubt it will do much good..?

And for all those that will say to threaten them, I don't want to go to jail. But I have thought about it.

littlelady

God bless the USA
I have had an increase in people coming to my door to sell me alternative power companies (say cheaper than SMECO/BGE, etc) or wanting to give me "free" solar panels. They don't take no for an answer right away and if you don't answer the door they keep coming back to aggravate you later. How do you deal with them?
Thinking about putting up a No Solicitation sign, but doubt it will do much good..?

And for all those that will say to threaten them, I don't want to go to jail. But I have thought about it.

We have had a similar problem since we moved. Four different "ADT" guys have come to our door. When we say someone has already been here and we declined, they say, oh no, they are not a rep, or are independent. Huh? I am thinking the sign I will put in the yard is...'trespassers will be shot'.

officeguy

We have had a similar problem since we moved. Four different "ADT" guys have come to our door. When we say someone has already been here and we declined, they say, oh no, they are not a rep, or are independent. Huh? I am thinking the sign I will put in the yard is...'trespassers will be shot'.

'They are still looking for 3 Jehovas and a solar salesman'

littlelady

God bless the USA
'They are still looking for 3 Jehovas and a solar salesman'

:lol: My point was that my property is my property. If I want a service, or spiritual help, I will call someone on my own accord. Solicitation should be against the law. I am lucky that I have an in house Marine (and he taught me, too) that takes care of/or could take care of these annoying solicitors. You never know who will come to your door.

MR47930

Had a shady looking guy come to my house the other day saying they clean the black streaks off of the roof shingles. He was driving a minivan with no sign or anything on it and said he would be in the neighborhood tomorrow (which was the day they were calling for all the snow) to do some of the neighbors houses. Luckily when he rang the doorbell my dog flipped out and when I opened the door he had backed up to the front yard and asked if I could put the dog away.

luvmygdaughters

Had a shady looking guy come to my house the other day saying they clean the black streaks off of the roof shingles. He was driving a minivan with no sign or anything on it and said he would be in the neighborhood tomorrow (which was the day they were calling for all the snow) to do some of the neighbors houses. Luckily when he rang the doorbell my dog flipped out and when I opened the door he had backed up to the front yard and asked if I could put the dog away.

Yep, had some guys claiming to be from an alternative electric company and the guys from Capital Meats come by. When they knock at the door, the first one to greet them is an 85lb snarling, growling, barking dog!! Works like a charm. Get off my property or the dog will be let loose.

MR47930

Yep, had some guys claiming to be from an alternative electric company and the guys from Capital Meats come by. When they knock at the door, the first one to greet them is an 85lb snarling, growling, barking dog!! Works like a charm. Get off my property or the dog will be let loose.

If you show up at my house with some credentials I'll let you say your spiel because I just assume you're trying to make a living like the rest of us. This guy showed up in a beat-up minivan with no company logos or anything claiming he was going to wash peoples shingles during a snow storm. It was also like 2pm on a random Wednesday that I had taken leave for. It was super strange, but hopefully he was legit and if not I think the he crossed my house off his list due to the snarling dog that greeted him.

pelers

I hate the Capital Meats guys. They're insanely pushy. I won't open my door if I see them in the neighborhood.

glhs837

Power with Control
Ah, the benefits of living way down a private drive. Been here five years, not one solicitation yet. Only intruders on the road at all have been a college student who used to blaze up at lunchtime and was a senior, I suppose, and the guy last spring who was parking and walking into the big lot south of us to hunt.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Ah, the benefits of living way down a private drive. Been here five years, not one solicitation yet. Only intruders on the road at all have been a college student who used to blaze up at lunchtime and was a senior, I suppose, and the guy last spring who was parking and walking into the big lot south of us to hunt.

:yay:

luvmygdaughters

If you show up at my house with some credentials I'll let you say your spiel because I just assume you're trying to make a living like the rest of us. This guy showed up in a beat-up minivan with no company logos or anything claiming he was going to wash peoples shingles during a snow storm. It was also like 2pm on a random Wednesday that I had taken leave for. It was super strange, but hopefully he was legit and if not I think the he crossed my house off his list due to the snarling dog that greeted him.

These guys from the electric company have come by three times in as many months, last time I told them to get off my property or I would call the cops for trespassing. The capital meat guys haven't been back since I threatened to let the dog out, after telling them no 5 or 6 times.

DannyMotorcycle

i've got an aluminum dolly missing.. this would exlain that.. bastards..

I had a solar guy come through january 7th when it was freezing cold snowing.. walking house to house..
I told him "i'm busy right now" and he asked when is a good time to come back i said there
will never be a good time to come back. He said okay and kept on walking to the next neighbor.

I feel iike i need 2 no soliciting signs.. make it 3, one for each driveway entrance and the front door.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
These guys from the electric company have come by three times in as many months, last time I told them to get off my property or I would call the cops for trespassing. The capital meat guys haven't been back since I threatened to let the dog out, after telling them no 5 or 6 times.

You mean for SMECO? I know they hired some people to do some stuff for them but I believe they are supposed to have signs on their car.

softtouch

Door to door salesman sounds like a hard way to make a living now-a-days.
I remember when the Prudential Insurance man would come around selling policies. He had a regular route, he came around every month to collect the premium.
I still have one of one of those policies. Bought it in '54 after I got out of the service when the Prudential man came to collect my Mom's premium.
It's $3000 whole life and $3000 accidental death. It now has $27307.54 paid-up additional insurance from annual dividends. The premium is $5.77 per month.
When they changed from a mutual insurance company to a for profit company they gave me 25 shares of stock as my share of ownership in the mutual company.

Last edited:

stew77

Put up a sign: No Solicitation! This means you! If you come on my property after reading this, you had better have a Warrent and the SWAT Team!!!

Works for me!

luvmygdaughters

You mean for SMECO? I know they hired some people to do some stuff for them but I believe they are supposed to have signs on their car.

No, I don't believe they were from Smeco. They came twice while my husband was home and once while I was there. I called Smeco and they advised they had no soliciters going door to door.

Midnightrider

we have a long and hidden driveway but one of the solar guys came down and knocked at the door jsut before christmas. We were getting ready to leave so the wife adn i were in opposite bathrooms and i heard someone talking to my 4yo. I went running to the front door to find this guy having a conversation with her and not asking for mommy or daddy. As i started to go off he went into his sales pitch. I sent him away pretty quick and didn't have to threaten him, but i was jsut about to.
Beware the Capital meats solicitors, I caught one on camera who stole tools from a shed...

thats what i worry about. Even if the guy is with a legit company he could scope out the houses for him to rob later or to turn over to a friend.

Clem72

I gave some Kirby salesman the rundown a few weeks ago. Put on some damn polos with your company name (doesn't have to say Kirby, but say something), and/or put a sign on your vehicle. Otherwise you come across shady as all get out.