Sushi, anyone?

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
For one man, his craving and love of this very popular delicacy very nearly killed him after it left his body riddled with tapeworm.

As part of the sushi menu, Sashimi is the most expensive - and according to many, the most delicious - delicacy available!

After suffering with a stomach ache and itching skin, the Chinese man had gone to his doctor to seek help.

To his absolute shock and horror, the scans showed that his entire body was absolutely infested with tapeworm after consuming too much sashimi - which are raw slices of fish.

Doctors speculated that some of the uncooked Japanese delicacy of raw meat or fish was probably contaminated with the parasite. He was treated for the infection at the Guangzhou No. 8 People's Hospital in Guangdong Province, in eastern China.

sushi.jpg

http://www.hypedojo.com/after-eating-this-popular-delicacy-a-mans-entire-body-was-riddled-with

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
In the US fish for sushi and sashimi are required to be frozen for 20 hours to kill the parasites.

PeoplesElbow

In the US fish for sushi and sashimi are required to be frozen for 20 hours to kill the parasites.

Freezing kills them?

I tried sashimi for the first time a couple months ago, dont see what the big deal is. Sure hope I didnt get parasites. My dad had parasites, most likely for years after drinking out of a creek.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Freezing kills them?

I tried sashimi for the first time a couple months ago, dont see what the big deal is. Sure hope I didnt get parasites. My dad had parasites, most likely for years after drinking out of a creek.

From the FDA

Freezing and storing at an ambient temperature of -4°F (-20°C) or below for 7 days (total time), or freezing at an ambient temperature of -31°F(-35°C) or below until solid and storing at anambient temperature of -31°F (-35°C) or below for15 hours, or freezing at an ambient temperature of-31°F (-35°C) or below until solid and storing at anambient temperature of -4°F (-20°C) or below for24 hours are sufficient to kill parasites. Note thatthese conditions may not be suitable for freezingparticularly large sh (e.g., thicker than 6 inches).

I do love sushi, I have kind of eclectic tastes though.

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Food/GuidanceRegulation/UCM252393.pdf

Last edited:

Clem72

Couple more things to keep in mind. Most of the parasites that can transfer/harm a human will be found in freshwater fish (or fish that spend part of their life in freshwater). Also, most fish caught out at sea are commercially frozen on the ship.

So, if you stick to salt water fish you shouldn't have any issues.