My Inauguration Experience

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Apologizing ahead of time - it's long.

SO, we let Calvert County about 5:30am (got up at 0400) and drove up to the Metro Station at Suitland. (Funny, the last time I drove up to that station, I could swear there were big brown "M" signs indicating the Metro Stations were at particular exits. We saw none today off of the Suitland Parkway on the way into town)

Parking was NO trouble at all at the Suitland station. We made our way from Suitland to Gallery Place, with very little effort and really not much congestion. We switched trains at Gallery Place and then rode to the Judiciary Square Metro station. That's when the traffic and congestion of people began. TONS of people. Lots of street vendors selling souvenirs and memorabilia. The Praising Jesus people with MEGAPHONE loudspeakers and very tall signs were there. In fact, they were the loudest of all until the protestors. There were tons and I mean TONS of law enforcement personnel from all types: Metropolitan Police, Police from other jurisdictions around DC as well as from other states. There were National Guardsman, Secret Service personnel (both in camo uniforms, and in plain clothes/suits). There
was no shortage of law enforcement, from what I could see.

We really didn't have much trouble walking to the "Blue" check in site, because the streets were all closed off from vehicles from the Metro station all the way there. They were only open to the pedestrians - the routes laid out very well, marked very well and everything was VERY, VERY organized. We also saw some “really docile protestors” and thought those were the only ones we would encounter. That is UNTIL we got to the D Street Entrance for the Blue ticket holders.

We were to walk down that street until we got to the screening places (which, AGAIN, were well planned, well-laid out and moved very quickly and smoothly). Right at the intersection of D & 1[SUP]st[/SUP] streets was a WALL of protestors linked arm in arm basically blocking the flow of pedestrians from being able to enter that street. They were yelling “This is a peaceful protest”. We made it through fairly safe, but it was a bit of an effort to go around them and over the barricades. We never saw any real foolishness except that. The violent stuff was not near where we were. I think the Capitol Hill area was pretty squared away except for the Jesus Praisers and the protestors. NO real ugliness that we saw and that was arriving and departing the city.

Anyway, we got through all of the security points fine and made our way to the Blue North Standing area to stake out our spots. We stopped at the port-a-john and then found a spot by the fence where we spent the next 4 hours with a group of people watching the crowds passing by us to the “better” seats. We met some fun and really great folks, we met a couple of jerks (who were also Republicans - I call 'em as I see 'em) who were pushing their way into our spaces. It wouldn't have mattered except OUR tickets were exactly the same as theirs and they were trying to horn into our space - and WE had been there 2 hours before they showed up. Low Estrogen Bann was not amused and let's just I was NOT about to give up any of my space to be magnanimous after all I went thru to get my tickets and stand in that spot.

Many, many kudos to every last one of the law enforcement personnel we had the pleasure of meeting and crossing paths with today. They certainly had their work cut out for them. I have some pics and a video of the protest I will see if I can post. All in all – such a super long day – lots of walking, standing and waiting. It was an awesome experience and I’m glad I got to do it. We didn’t have a great view from our vantage point, so unless I had a GREAT spot to be able to see really well – I don’t think I’d do it again.

I have more details, but I'm tired and I'll just post them here and there when they come up.

Bann

PREMO Member
I have a video, but I can't upload it. Any help? It's a cellphone video

Hijinx

Thank you for sharing your experience.
:yay::yay:

Some times a once in a lifetime experience is good for once in a lifetime.
I am sure you are tired, and the police who were there before you got there and after you left are tired, too, but they are probably getting time and a half.

Bann

PREMO Member
Can't upload to SoMD directly. You need to post it to YouTube or something and link to it.

:yay: I'll have to figure it out tomorrow. :lol:

(Vrai, I'll message you about it before I post it)

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Glad you could experience it. I really wanted to fly up there and stay in Alexandria @ son's house (he and all @ ONI had the day off) and metro into the city, but was unable to via veto from wifey. I am jealous.:buddies:

Bann

PREMO Member

This video shows where we were standing. Our tickets were "Blue North Standing" tickets. The guy videotaping is standing to the left of the sidewalk on the left side of the Capitol (North). There was actually a Jumbotron on that side of the sidewalk - that, had we noticed it BEFORE we got to our spots, we might have decided not to stand where we did. But, due to the way we arrived & how we were being directed, we never saw it there. :ohwell: Once we were there, we never considered leaving, because it filled up FAST, and we figured we'd never get another spot.

At about 1:25 in the video he has panned to the side where we were, and it gives a pretty good idea of how close together everyone was. Toward the end of the video you can see the line of the port-a-johns and that is where we entered.

Bann

PREMO Member
A few people and views from Inauguration Day:

The law enforcement personnel were in plain view, very friendly and helpful.

45.jpg 44.jpg 43.jpg 40.jpg 39.jpg 33.jpg

From our vantage point at the railing/side of the fence we were on - we saw all the "Yellow ticket" holders making their way to that section (which was straight across from us)

We saw Steve Doocy, but I didn't have my camera at the ready. We saw Trace Adkins, and some Professional sports figures, although I'm not remembering who at this point. I think someone said they saw a WWF guy and another saw John Elway. Dog, the Bounty Hunter is in one of my phots. (Long blond hair) He did turn around and wave at one point because people kept calling out his name.

Bann

PREMO Member
23.jpg 31.jpg 13.jpg 22.jpg 14.jpg 15.jpg

#1- The corner after we came out of the Judiciary Square metro
#2- One of the MANY Jesus praisers on every single street we walked on
#3- One of the many law enforcement personnel out in full force. This was a Secret Service guy
#4- What the security points looked like - big tents side-by-side and had the electronic gizmos you walk through while they checked your bag. (they let me keep my nail file and nail clippers in my small cross-body bag I had with me)
#5-The streets were fairly open when we got to our destination at the Capitol. So these pics were taken between 7:30-8:00am.
#6- The grounds on the West side of the Capitol across from where we were standing. The fencing was the same on our side (in reverse)

littlelady

God bless the USA
Yes, thanks, Bann, for your experience. As someone said, I think Hijinx, it was a once in a lifetime experience you may not want to do again. :lol: But, your pics and description of it all was great. Thanks! If you choose to change jobs, I think you have a great job opportunity in news reporting/commentating. :yay:

Bann

PREMO Member
ForumRunner_20170122_110005.jpg

ForumRunner_20170122_105930.jpg

Pictures of "The Resilient" ...on our way back to our Metro stop.