Best NASCAR Driver to Not Win a Championship?

calvcopf

Glad to see Mark Martin in the HOF! Huge Mark Martin fan.

But it is a toss up for me if Mark Martin or Carl Edwards is the best NASCAR driver in the modern era to not win a championship. Who else do you think would fall into this category? I'm sure I'm forgetting some good ones..

DipStick

Keep Calm and Don't Care!
Glad to see Mark Martin in the HOF! Huge Mark Martin fan.

But it is a toss up for me if Mark Martin or Carl Edwards is the best NASCAR driver in the modern era to not win a championship. Who else do you think would fall into this category? I'm sure I'm forgetting some good ones..

Mark Martin won the 1990 championship.

And the 2007 Daytona 500.

DipStick

Keep Calm and Don't Care!
Thought Dale Sr won the championship in 1990 .

I'm using Trump's "Alternative Facts".

That carb spacer penalty was the most egregious penalty in NASCAR history. Every crew chief in NASCAR felt a penalty wasn't merited, except Kirk Shelmerdine. And then, later that year, a tire fell off Earnhardt's car as he was exiting pit road and NASCAR let the team go on the track and replace the tire.

Mark got screwed so hard that year.

And NASCAR proves every single year that they screwed Mark Martin out of the Daytona 500.

AnthonyJames

R.I.P. My Brother Rick
Tim Richmond and Ken Schrader came to right to mind. Then I used Google and Ricky Rudd, Fireball Roberts, Davey Allison, Junior Johnson, and Fred Lorenzen are all in the top ten with the most wins without a championship.

I guess it depends on what you consider Modern Era?

And Denny Hamlin too. :edit:

Last edited:

calvcopf

Tim Richmond and Ken Schrader came to right to mind. Then I used Google and Ricky Rudd, Fireball Roberts, Davey Allison, Junior Johnson, and Fred Lorenzen are all in the top ten with the most wins without a championship.

I guess it depends on what you consider Modern Era?

And Denny Hamlin too. :edit:

Very good list! Lots of good drivers there that I had either forgot about or were before my time.
Ken Schrader was good back in the day and I didn't know that Ricky Rudd never won a championship. Rudd is near the top of that list for me.

I think that Hamlin will win one soon, especially now that Carl Edwards is out of the picture.