Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: America's love of gas guzzlers

Quote Originally Posted by GURPS View Post
    I get that ... but the premium you pay for such a car is not cost effective
    .Like larry stated above, plus electric became popular when fuel went well above 4 bucks a few years ago. Let fuel hit 4 to 5 bucks a gallon and see the cost break over change rapidly again on how fast consumers buy electric.
    There is now over 100,000 on the road now and growing.
    Proud to be a cereal comma user.

Quote Originally Posted by black dog View Post
    Most folks who commute don't drive anywhere near 120 miles a day round trip.
    My current daily commute is 156 miles +/-. Home to Silver Spring 55 miles. Silver Spring to home 55 miles. Home to GMHS to pick up my son from sports practice back to home 46 miles.
    My commuter car '12 Focus (30MPG) rolled over 100K miles this morning on the way to work, my "haul the family and our stuff" '97 Suburban (15 MPG) has 180K, kids' car '01 Saturn (28 MPG) 190K, wife's "haul the family and a little stuff" '06 Pilot (18 MPG) 205K.
    Find me an electric car that costs <20K and holds 6 adults COMFORTABLY with stuff, and can pull a 6K lb. trailer and I will trade out a vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by huntr1 View Post
    My current daily commute is 156 miles +/-. Home to Silver Spring 55 miles. Silver Spring to home 55 miles. Home to GMHS to pick up my son from sports practice back to home 46 miles.
    My commuter car '12 Focus (30MPG) rolled over 100K miles this morning on the way to work, my "haul the family and our stuff" '97 Suburban (15 MPG) has 180K, kids' car '01 Saturn (28 MPG) 190K, wife's "haul the family and a little stuff" '06 Pilot (18 MPG) 205K.
    Find me an electric car that costs <20K and holds 6 adults COMFORTABLY with stuff, and can pull a 6K lb. trailer and I will trade out a vehicle.
    And in the next few years you will be replacing a few of those.
    Some of you all have missed the point that I have stated many times in this thread that for the average commuter and the average stay at home parent a electric car would work extremely well, and last longer for far less operating cost per mile.
    At this time with it replace a Suburban or a PU for hauling or towing? Nope... But eventually it will in some way or another.
    With the base price of a new Suburban at just under 50 grand, alternative's will happen, it's just a matter of time.
    So many here think I'm pro electric are funny, you keep telling me what electrics can't do. If you think electric will not keep advancing I will say this. Just look at the changes in rechargable tools for the tradesman and homeowner in the last twenty years.
    I will say this again, I am a HUGE DIESEL BURNER my normal ride is a 2000 F 350 crew cab 8' bed 7.3 diesel dually.
    My Hooptie is a 1994 GS 300 Lexus that still gets 27 mpg on the HW. It has 200,000 on the clock.
    But when it croaks, I will definitely look into a electric car to replace it. Not a hybrid, full electric.
    There's over 100,000 of them on the road right now, America needs to understand the reality of that's where we are headed.
    Like it or not, it's here to stay.
    I had a Math teacher in 1972 ( 8th grade ) tell us that if all of us didn't learn something to do with computers, that we would be left behind within our working lifetime.
    Cheers to you Joe Maricini, through that long hair and that VW bus you drove you could see the future.
    Proud to be a cereal comma user.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gude View Post
    If you assume 200,000 miles on the F150 at ....
    .Like larry stated above ...
    My 1995 Saturn SC2 cost me $ 2000 10 years ago .... gets 27 to 35 MPG Driving to Hollywood MD
    My 2005 Chrysler Town and Country Walter P Chrysler Signature Touring Ed. cost me $ 2500 last yr, gets 21/22 Driving to Hollywood and has ALL the Creature comforts

I'm sorry your argument doesn't hold water [with me] when I can purchase a Honda Insight or a Prius for $ 2k maybe I'll step up or better yet a Tesla
    [I'll be dead before a used Tesla is in my price range]

last I heard battery pack replacement on an out of warranty Prius was something like 5k - you throw away the car at that point and buy another on.
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
    - Robert J. Hanlon.

.... for the average commuter and the average stay at home parent a electric car would work extremely well ....

as long as you are young and in good health
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
    - Robert J. Hanlon.

Quote Originally Posted by GURPS View Post
    My 1995 Saturn SC2 cost me $ 2000 10 years ago .... gets 27 to 35 MPG Driving to Hollywood MD
    My 2005 Chrysler Town and Country Walter P Chrysler Signature Touring Ed. cost me $ 2500 last yr, gets 21/22 Driving to Hollywood and has ALL the Creature comforts

I'm sorry your argument doesn't hold water [with me] when I can purchase a Honda Insight or a Prius for $ 2k maybe I'll step up or better yet a Tesla
    [I'll be dead before a used Tesla is in my price range]

last I heard battery pack replacement on an out of warranty Prius was something like 5k - you throw away the car at that point and buy another on.
    For one thing I SPECIFICALLY said Tesla as Sam's comment was he'd seen no electric that impressed him as decent let alone quality.
    For two, I didn't say it was THERE cost wise now. It's not. Which is why I said it's getting there and dog said it WILL get there.
    Lastly, the better Tesla battery is NOW designed for well beyond 200k.

The best that can be said for a Prius is that it is one of the transitional steps necessary to get from good idea to good reality. In and of itself, it's a niche vehicle. The Tesla, hear, now, in the luxury sedan class, is an absolutely credible choice.
    Nepotism begins at home

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    The Tesla everyone is ranting about has a range of 240 miles but the price tag on that thing is over 80k!!!!

I'll stick with my F150.

You can keep them.
    And can do zero to sixty in 2.4 seconds. And automatically park itself in or back out of your garage and come to you. And has a much higher safety rating than your F-150.

But it can't haul a sheet of plywood. Sounds like maybe you are not their target audience (and you seem to believe that a vehicle that might be better for 80% of travel and people is crap because it's not better for 100%).

Quote Originally Posted by This_person View Post
    If we all drove smart cars in NYC to get to/from work, electric cars could be a good option. To have the freedom of flexibility that we do now, electric will never be a viable option.
    Your argument is that electric will never be a good option, because it's not the best option for every circumstance? I am quite sure I am wasting my breath as I don't believe I have ever seen you change your opinion on this forum. About anything. But if there is a market for a mini-van (which I have never owned), or a truck (which I have never owned for personal use), or a Jeep Wrangler (who the feck believes this is a good vehicle for regular daily commutes through town?), or even luxury ($100k+) commuter vehicles, then there is plenty of room for several classes of electric vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by Clem72 View Post
    And can do zero to sixty in 2.4 seconds. And automatically park itself in or back out of your garage and come to you. And has a much higher safety rating than your F-150.

But it can't haul a sheet of plywood. Sounds like maybe you are not their target audience (and you seem to believe that a vehicle that might be better for 80% of travel and people is crap because it's not better for 100%).
    Electric is going to massively outperform diesel pick ups...once the politics gets sorted out. Pick ups are the primary profit stream for auto makers and, as such, regulatory hurdles are in place to hold back electrics. You ever wonder why Toyota doesn't have a diesel dually? They do. It's a fantastic truck. They just can't sell it in the US. Same, for now, for electric. It will be NO contest. Power, torque, hell, a truck is perfect for extra weight for bigger batts to provide MORE power.
    Nepotism begins at home

Quote Originally Posted by huntr1 View Post
    Why? Find me a supermodel that wants to have sex with me and I will trade out my wife. Both are equally likely, and equally absurd.

Members who have read this thread: 60