Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 52

Thread: America's love of gas guzzlers

  1. #41
    Seems the arguments being made here are that an electric vehicle can't be a suitable primary vehicle because of it's functionality shortcomings, ie can't tow or carry a piece of plywood.

    How many of you have more than one vehicle?? Does each vehicle do the same job? Of course not. You get a truck if you have tow/haul tasks, a sports car for the weekends, a van for soccer moms, a bike for commuting and just fun.........

    Why does an electric vehicle need to be a single replacement vehicle? Keep your truck for the heavy tasks, get an electric for local errands. Get used to the idea of an electric vehicle and what it CAN do rather than what it CANNOT do. I can't carry 10 sheets of sheetrock on my bike but I still have one. I can't go 0-70 in 4 seconds in my truck, but I have one.

    If there were an electric version of a Fiat 124 Spider, it would be in my garage tomorrow. Just because.
    "It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob."
    The Brain

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by GWguy View Post
    How many of you have more than one vehicle?? Does each vehicle do the same job? Of course not. You get a truck if you have tow/haul tasks, a sports car for the weekends, a van for soccer moms, a bike for commuting and just fun.........

    Why does an electric vehicle need to be a single replacement vehicle? Keep your truck for the heavy tasks, get an electric for local errands. Get used to the idea of an electric vehicle and what it CAN do rather than what it CANNOT do. I can't carry 10 sheets of sheetrock on my bike but I still have one. I can't go 0-70 in 4 seconds in my truck, but I have one.

    If there were an electric version of a Fiat 124 Spider, it would be in my garage tomorrow. Just because.

    First worlder.
    Nepotism begins at home

  3. #43
    #*! boat! Gilligan's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    38,263
    Blog Entries
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by GWguy View Post
    How many of you have more than one vehicle??
    I've cut back...I think I'm down to 11 or 12 now. Trying to be green(er).
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    I've cut back...I think I'm down to 11 or 12 now. Trying to be green(er).
    Nepotism begins at home

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Clem72 View Post
    Your argument is that electric will never be a good option, because it's not the best option for every circumstance? I am quite sure I am wasting my breath as I don't believe I have ever seen you change your opinion on this forum. About anything. But if there is a market for a mini-van (which I have never owned), or a truck (which I have never owned for personal use), or a Jeep Wrangler (who the feck believes this is a good vehicle for regular daily commutes through town?), or even luxury ($100k+) commuter vehicles, then there is plenty of room for several classes of electric vehicles.
    Did you read the first sentence of mine you quoted? Let me paraphrase - given the right circumstances, which impacts an exceptionally small number of people in the country, there could be a good argument for electric cars.

    Does the paraphrase help?
    It is no measure of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
    Jiddu Krisnamurti

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by GWguy View Post
    Seems the arguments being made here are that an electric vehicle can't be a suitable primary vehicle because of it's functionality shortcomings, ie can't tow or carry a piece of plywood.
    Personally, my argument is that there seems to be no good reason to go that way. If it is someone's choice, I have no objections, but I don't get it.

    If there were an electric version of a Fiat 124 Spider, it would be in my garage tomorrow. Just because.
    I would bet there is a kit-car out there you could modify.
    It is no measure of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
    Jiddu Krisnamurti

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by This_person View Post
    I would bet there is a kit-car out there you could modify.
    I have enough unfinished projects. Don't need one more major one... Although, I've been considering that since the 80's.
    "It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob."
    The Brain

  8. #48
    Registered User PeoplesElbow's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Smackdown hotel
    Posts
    4,348
    Electric can have its place. Nothing beats the low end torque of an electric, trains have been driven by electric motors for decades, diesel generators provide the electric for them.

    THen there is this http://www.komatsu.com/CompanyInfo/p...073207171.html
    and
    http://spectrum.ieee.org/energywise/...-goes-electric

    got to love a dump truck that has to have a stair case on it.
    Last edited by PeoplesElbow; 01-25-2017 at 09:59 PM.
    If what I say offends you then you really don't want to hear what I keep to myself.

  9. #49
    Registered User DEEKAYPEE8569's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Suthin' Merlin
    Posts
    10,130
    Quote Originally Posted by Clem72 View Post
    Your argument is that electric will never be a good option, because it's not the best option for every circumstance? I am quite sure I am wasting my breath as I don't believe I have ever seen you change your opinion on this forum. About anything. But if there is a market for a mini-van (which I have never owned), or a truck (which I have never owned for personal use), or a Jeep Wrangler (who the feck believes this is a good vehicle for regular daily commutes through town?), or even luxury ($100k+) commuter vehicles, then there is plenty of room for several classes of electric vehicles.
    Rides like a log wagon.
    If all you are gonna do is give me grief about what I post DON'T READ IT Heh? Have a nice day :-D

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by GWguy View Post
    Seems the arguments being made here are that an electric vehicle can't be a suitable primary vehicle because of it's functionality shortcomings, ie can't tow or carry a piece of plywood.

    How many of you have more than one vehicle??
    The overwhelming number of people I know have no more than one vehicle per spouse. Several - like my in-laws - have just one.
    I have a few friends who have more but - last time I visited one of them - both of the "extra" vehicles were parked in the same spot, no tags and leaves have accumulated to suggest they haven't moved in years.

    MOST people I know buy and use one car for their needs. This is probably what drives the high sale of pickup trucks in this country.
    Insults are the arguments employed by those who are in the wrong". Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Members who have read this thread: 60

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search:     Advanced Search
Search HELP

| Home | Help | Contact Us | About somd.com | Privacy | Advertising | Sponsors | Newsletter |

| What's New | What's Cool | Top Rated | Add A Link | Mod a Link |

| Announcements | Bookstore | Cafe | Calendar | Classifieds | Community |
| Culture | Dating | Dining | Education | Employment | Entertainment |
| Forums | Free E-Mail | Games | Gear! | Government | Guestbook | Health | Marketplace | Mortgage | News |
| Organizations | Photos | Real Estate | Relocation | Sports | Survey | Travel | Wiki | Weather | Worship |