Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: America's love of gas guzzlers

America's love of gas guzzlers

America's love of gas guzzlers is hampering progress on fuel economy

One major headwind to fuel economy is Americans’ “seemingly insatiable appetite for trucks,” the analysts said. Trucks’ fuel economy averaged 21 miles per gallon last year, compared with cars at 29 miles per gallon. Six out of 10 new vehicles sold in 2016 were trucks, the highest share since at least 2000, they said.

Then there’s low penetration for hybrid vehicles, which had a market share of 2.9% last year, down from a peak 3.7% in 2013. Declining gasoline prices in the last couple of years are the most likely cause of falling hybrid share, the Tudor Pickering Holt analysts said.

In one of the last moves of the Obama administration, the Environmental Protection Agency last week reaffirmed fuel-economy goals for the next nine years, calling for cars and trucks to average 36 miles per gallon by 2025.

“We believe this target will be extremely challenging to meet, as it would potentially require >60% car share and >10% hybrid share, both of which seem unlikely given recent trends,” the analysts said.
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
    - Robert J. Hanlon.

“There is a deeply anti-democratic undercurrent to much of the criticism of the new president, borne aloft by an assumption that democracy is too important to be left to the voters.”

And if a statue can oppress you, then I submit that you have greater issues. - A West.

Lurking in the background in flat, humid Fl
    Give me my 2010 F-150 and 1996 Ranger any day for any purpose, just because I can afford it.
    “The truth will set you free, but first it will make you miserable.” - President James A. Garfield

I have a 2000 F350 CC 8 ft bed dually 4X4 with a 7.3 diesel that gets 11 mpg around town.
    My son drives a 2000 single cab Ranger 4X4 with a 3.0 that also gets 11 mpg around town. Lol..
    Proud to be a cereal comma user.

To meet that requirement they're going to have to start constructing cars and trucks out of three mill plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    To meet that requirement they're going to have to start constructing cars and trucks out of three mill plastic.
    I believe we should have been commuting from the suburbs to the city's in electric cars from the middle 70's forward. When I was in High School Popular Science Magazine had articles a few times on electric cars with lead acid batteries that could run 60 mph for 100 miles. We have been a foolish country with our fuel resources.
    Most of our transportation should be electric, CNG or modern diesel, and advance from there.
    Proud to be a cereal comma user.

What kind of driving I've done over the years I can't have a car that stops after 100 miles and has to sit for eight hours to charge back up again.

Efficiency and range are the two things that hamper the idea of electric cars.

The other thing that killed the idea is that they require vast amounts of electricity to charge. When you have every wingnut environmentalist fighting every power plant that gets proposed, their efficacy is doomed.
    Last edited by Kyle; 01-22-2017 at 12:30 PM.

Blog Entries
    Our gas guzzler also happens to be our house.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    Our gas guzzler also happens to be our house.

Quote Originally Posted by black dog View Post
    Most of our transportation should be electric, CNG or modern diesel, and advance from there.
    and where is this Electric Going To Come From ?
    AFAIK - most of the electric still comes Coal Power Plants

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Efficiency and range are the two things that hamper the idea of electric cars.

Tesla has done a good JOB with this ... S 100D - 335 Miles
    Last edited by GURPS; 01-22-2017 at 05:26 PM.
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
    - Robert J. Hanlon.

“There is a deeply anti-democratic undercurrent to much of the criticism of the new president, borne aloft by an assumption that democracy is too important to be left to the voters.”

And if a statue can oppress you, then I submit that you have greater issues. - A West.

9. 01-22-2017, 05:22 PM

Always thought it was funny how Europeans rag on Americans for driving big vehicles that use a lot of gas. The Europeans I know over here for JSF all bought big ass trucks the first chance they got and love them.
    If what I say offends you then you really don't want to hear what I keep to myself.

Quote Originally Posted by black dog View Post
    I believe we should have been commuting from the suburbs to the city's in electric cars from the middle 70's forward. When I was in High School Popular Science Magazine had articles a few times on electric cars with lead acid batteries that could run 60 mph for 100 miles. We have been a foolish country with our fuel resources.
    Why "should" it be electric? Gasoline provides a great flexibility, power, etc., etc.

Have you seen what it takes to dispose, safely, of lead-acid batteries? Even the Tesla batteries? If one is looking to be a good steward of the environment, electric vehicles are the antithesis of a good idea.
    There are only two possibilities; one is that we are alone in the universe, the other is that we are not.
    Both are terrifying.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.