Gay Activist Admits She Regrets Her Gay Marriage and Divorce

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Gay Activist Admits She Regrets Her Gay Marriage and Divorce

Maran talks about the thicket of changing laws that governed her divorce, about how the domestic partnership she and her wife had before the wedding made their divorce more complicated. And, most tellingly of all, she opens up about how she felt like a letdown to the other same-sex couple whose trails she and her wife blazed. In her words:

In many cities over many years, my wife and I had marched for marriage equality. We’d argued with the haters and we’d argued with the gay people who said that legal marriage would co-opt us, diminish us, turn us into a caricature of “normal” married people. We swore we could enjoy the rights only marriage conferred and still have our gender-fluid commitment ceremonies, our chosen-family configurations, our dexterity at turning friends into lovers and vice versa.

Divorce felt like more than a betrayal of my wedding vows. It was a betrayal of my people and our cause.

Theology professor Danny Burk had an interesting take on Maran and her heartbreaking admission. On his website, he writes:

She admits that she and her partner never wanted the norms of marriage, but only the rights of marriage. As a result, she regrets her gay marriage only because it made breaking-up more difficult. Divorces are expensive and messy, and it turns out that both marriage and divorce cramped her gender-fluid “dexterity at turning friends into lovers and vice versa.”

I appreciate Maran’s candor in this article. I do think it is revealing. I suspect that many of those who marched for legal gay marriage in our country weren’t really that concerned about adding traditional marriage norms to gay relationships—norms of permanence, covenant, fidelity, etc. What they wanted was social acceptance of their relationships as they were already configured—many of which were admittedly “monogamish” rather than monogamous. The legal recognition served to remove a stigma, not to convert “dexterity” into permanence.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
An amusing offshoot of legalization of same-sex marriage is that now there's no accommodation for "domestic partnerships" in many states and the federal government. So same-sex couples who enjoyed the benefit of being on each others' insurance and other perks are now SOL and have to get married if they want those things.

:roflmao:

Keep in mind that I was/am firmly in favor of deregulating marriage altogether, but I just think unintended consequences are hilarious.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Other fallout from gay marriage was the protection offered to different sex domestic partnerships. Once gay marriage was legal, companies no longer had to offer benefits to those claiming domestic partnerships since this came about due to gays being denied marriage. I wonder how many people lost benefits due to this change.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Other fallout from gay marriage was the protection offered to different sex domestic partnerships. Once gay marriage was legal, companies no longer had to offer benefits to those claiming domestic partnerships since this came about due to gays being denied marriage. I wonder how many people lost benefits due to this change.

:lol: :high5:

black dog

Free America
An amusing offshoot of legalization of same-sex marriage is that now there's no accommodation for "domestic partnerships" in many states and the federal government. So same-sex couples who enjoyed the benefit of being on each others' insurance and other perks are now SOL and have to get married if they want those things.

Keep in mind that I was/am firmly in favor of deregulating marriage altogether, but I just think unintended consequences are hilarious.

I agree, one of my sister's lived in a partnership for about 15 years, and fought tooth and nail for marriage and ( equal rights )
About 2 years ago Florida passed the marriage law and within days they got married.
This past November my sister filed for divorce, it was absolutely hallarious listening to her. A few weeks after the divorce was final, she sold her household at auction and moved to LA.
She tells me it's greener in the land of fruits & nuts.

black dog

Free America

Do you all post from opposite ends of the motorhome?

officeguy

Yeah, but they were heteros, so it doesn't count.

Hijinx

Well she is only one gay, and perhaps there are others who are happy in their "marriages" ,but even with hetero's marriage sometimes ruins a good relationship.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
What does that even mean, the "norms" of marriage?

I guess until the Federal Gov. gave her permission to feel good about herself - aka 'legal' approval or affirmation for her relationship she did not feel 'normal' playing house with her GF

—norms of permanence, covenant, fidelity, etc. What they wanted was social acceptance of their relationships as they were already configured—many of which were admittedly “monogamish” rather than monogamous. The legal recognition served to remove a stigma, not to convert “dexterity” into permanence.

:shrug:

I is side splitting funny and sad at the same -

1) I demand the Right to MARRY Whom I choose
2) Gets Married
3) 2 yrs or less later gets Divorced

:lmao:

Hijinx

I guess until the Federal Gov. gave her permission to feel good about herself - aka 'legal' approval or affirmation for her relationship she did not feel 'normal' playing house with her GF

—norms of permanence, covenant, fidelity, etc. What they wanted was social acceptance of their relationships as they were already configured—many of which were admittedly “monogamish” rather than monogamous. The legal recognition served to remove a stigma, not to convert “dexterity” into permanence.

:shrug:

2) Gets Married

:lmao:

I looked up monogamish, it means that even though married they agree that they can eat at another Y if they wish.
Hetero's call it an open marriage, but usually they don't last long.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
You ever wonder what would happen if those opposing gay marriage had, long ago, had the strength, conviction and courage in themselves and their views that they were strong enough to withstand the awesome threat of two consenting adults getting a piece of paper worth no more or less than the people it mattered to had simply said to demands by gays to marry..."Concede my church's right to freedom of our faith and, sure, go ahead. Have at it."

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

2) Gets Married

Who cares, heteros do it all the time. But this will amuse you: trans people are angry at the Woman Marchers because they are dressed like vaginas, and that excludes "women" who have "alternate vaginas". I thought the term "alternate vagina" alone was hilarious.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
You ever wonder what would happen if those opposing gay marriage had, long ago, had the strength, conviction and courage in themselves and their views that they were strong enough to withstand the awesome threat of two consenting adults getting a piece of paper worth no more or less than the people it mattered to had simply said to demands by gays to marry..."Concede my church's right to freedom of our faith and, sure, go ahead. Have at it."

No.