Human Interest travel Story

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I'm my way to Melbourne FL this past Sunday, got delayed in Atlanta for just about 19 hours, overnighted in the terminal. Had several cool experiences with wonderful people but one experience specifically worth sharing.

It's 5 AM, after about 8 gate changes through the night I'm back to the original departure gate, B02.. We're told our plane is coming in and one arrives and disembarks the passengers.

Amongst the passengers is a High School field trip, 45 kids, teachers and chaperones. They're trying to get back home to Houston after witnessing the Inauguration, attending a ball, and a field trip within a field trip when they were told they couldn't do the Downtown DC tour because of the Protestors.

I'm stuck in Atlanta because my plane couldn't get into Atlanta, they were stuck in BWI because their flight got cancelled outright, and the Delta employees in BWI convinced them to at least get to Atlanta, they'll find you a way home from there.

They left BWI after sitting there over 14 - 16 hours with the HOPE they could get a flight to Houston from here.. there are NO flights with 40+ seats going to Houston from here.

So 18 hours later here they sit with me..

Awesome kids.. you can tell because their chaperones aren't pulling their hair out, or randomly screaming at the shadows. They're all relaxed, rolling with the punches.. and still in good spirits..

They did get to watch the inauguration... protestors prevented them from sightseeing in DC on Saturday... and I'm getting first hand eyewitness testimony of the entire inauguration..

We talked.. I asked questions about their experiences, where they went, what they saw while in DC and what they did. They talked about the excitement of the day, how crowded it was, though they didn't get harassed by any protestors, and really didn't see any getting there.

So here I am, sitting at a terminal in Atlanta, with about 8 High School students sitting around me on the floor (picture story time in Kindergarten) as we talked, discussed and just shared in their excitement.

NO politics were discussed whatsoever, I didn't bring it up, nor did they. It was purely about their experiences, and being that they aren't as inundated with politics like most adults they could relate their experiences without taking sides, or talking about politics at all.. Even the Chaperones and the teachers went out of their way to show neutrality.. even the teacher wearing the Trump Supporter t-shirt, as she explained to me she had an incident at BWI where the shirt she was wearing was wet (probably from the rain) and a passing traveler took this shirt out of his bag and gave it to her.. All she said was.. "Can't say I am or I'm not a Trump Supporter, but it's dry and I'm warm."

The kids, 9 - 12th grade, were unbelievable. Upbeat, positive and taking their predicament in stride, understanding the airlines can't control the weather (they were way more adult than a lot of "adults" I saw in the terminal Sunday night to Monday morning) They understood that they were going to make the best of it, turn their setbacks into adventures and that the entire scenario was just going to make this weekend much more memorable.

I shared my favorite line about travel, If it goes perfect, you have no stories to tell and (in their case) they'll be telling their kids and grandkids about this one in the distant future.

These kids were VERY mature, could hold an adult conversation, make eye contact, stay on topic.. and just share the unpolluted views about what happened with NO ulterior motives.

Oh and they learned about working together for a common goal. The field trip was comprised of two rival schools (think Redskins and Cowboys) as neither school could get enough participants to meet the tour requirements for costs. These two rivals came together and combined forces so all of them could participate and travel to DC. One of the girls (a 9th grader I think) said.. We are VERY BITTER rivals, but when need be we can put our differences aside and work together for a common goal.. but when we get home.. it's ON!

I got to spend about an hour maybe 90 minutes with them before I had to chase another gate, but what an awesome hour, hour and a half it was. Lot of smiling, a lot of laughing and I'm sure any stranger passing by would have never guessed the predicament they were in.

On my way to the gate I stopped and talked to the chaperones and teachers and complimented them on their students and their entire field trip, them included. GREAT people, their parents, their teachers and their community should be proud of them.

This was an awesome experience and my take away is Thank God for the crappy weather and all of the cancellations, as I wouldn't have had this experience with them if everything went as planned.. sometimes imperfections and hardships can lead to wonderful experiences..

We apologize, this station is having some technical difficulties... please stand-by and we'll get back to regularly scheduled Bob soon...

Last edited:

luvmygdaughters

Great story, good to hear there are still decent people in the world and kids who were raised right. Thanks for sharing.

Forkian

Just wondering how many people took the time to read the whole post. I got bored less than half way thru. Made it to about "these kids were VERY mature". :snooze:

terbear1225

Just wondering how many people took the time to read the whole post. I got bored less than half way thru. Made it to about "these kids were VERY mature". :snooze:

thinking you could take a lesson or two from the kids.

I have travelled internationally with high school kids. As with any group, there's good and bad to be found. One group of us got caught in a thunderstorm/ torrential downpour at Stone Henge. We talked about how a perfect trip to Stone Henge is kind of cool but their story would be SO much more interesting. A year or so later, one of them wrote their college admissions essay about the experience. :)

terbear1225

read it all - will you be sending a note to the school?

not a bad idea, I'm sure the school would appreciate it. And it would certainly help if there's ever a question of whether or not to take a similar trip in the future.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Bob already sent a complimentary note to the administration talking about what a great group of young people they have in attendance at their school.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Bob already sent a complimentary note to the administration talking about what a great group of young people they have in attendance at their school.

:clap:

When Thing2 was in NJROTC their Commander would get emails complimenting them about their demeanor on one trip or another. He would share that with the parents at our monthly booster meeting and it always made our day. :yay:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member

:clap: That is great. Too many times we focus too much on the negativity in life. Sometimes just a nice note of recognition or encouragement can make a world of difference and also make their day.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Great story!

The bit about rivals coming together to work on a common goal, good lesson for anyone to keep in mind.