Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever have to testify? (My dog was attacked by another dog)

Quote Originally Posted by Clem72 View Post
    Why pick hairs you SOB. Are you refuting my claim that many (possibly most) homeowners/rental insurances do not cover what we would refer to as a Pit Bull? Or does pointing out that it isn't a specific breed somehow invalidating my point? Does my pointing out that you are a retard invalidate your points? Maybe it should.
    I'm not splitting hairs. You're talking about a legally binding document. You can't make #### up to ban in that legal document because if it goes to court.

I directly responded to a specific portion of your quote. I'm not saying insurance companies can't or don't block certain dog breeds, but it has to be an actual breed. Not a made-up term that encompasses multiple actual dog breed. I will say my homeowners policy does not dictate the breed of dog I'm allowed to have, but I haven't shopped around to know if "most" policies do not them.

Quit acting like a child because you perceive my post as some sort of dig against you. Grow up.
    Last edited by Chris0nllyn; 01-31-2017 at 02:43 PM.
    Crybaby Cripplecrow Hanging on a Monkey's Toe Club

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0nllyn View Post
    Probably because "pit bull" isn't a breed.

To the OP, you'll likely need to file a civil suit in order to recoup any money. If you go to the county courthouse website, it'll have a list of things you should do before going to court such as notifying them in writing and ask to essentially settle out of court. If all else fails, you can go to court. Expect it to be expensive.
    Why would filing a small claims be expensive ?
    You follow the rules on the County Court website and be your own Attorney ( Pro Se )
    Have your ducks in a row at court, it's not difficult, a little unnerving but very easy.
    Originally Posted by littlelady View Post
    I just reported you. You are one scary individual.

Quote Originally Posted by black dog View Post
    Why would filing a small claims be expensive ?
    You follow the rules on the County Court website and be your own Attorney ( Pro Se )
    Have your ducks in a row at court, it's not difficult, a little unnerving but very easy.
    You're right. The OP could represent herself. It'd be expensive if they needed a lawyer.

I'm not splitting hairs. You're talking about a legally binding document. You can't make #### up to ban in that legal document because if it goes to court.

I directly responded to a specific portion of your quote. I'm not saying insurance companies can't or don't block certain dog breeds, but it has to be an actual breed. Not a made-up term that encompasses multiple actual dog breed. I will say my homeowners policy does not dictate the breed of dog I'm allowed to have, but I haven't shopped around to know if "most" policies do not them.

Quit acting like a child because you perceive my post as some sort of dig against you. Grow up.
    I agree with you, there are quite a few dogs who get lumped in the "Pitbull" classification. My dog for example, Morgan, is part boxer and part shepherd. When she was a puppy, so I was told, she had her jaw broke and it was never set properly. This causes her jaw to look larger then it is and it also cause a rather lopsided overbite. We've been out with her before and people always remark that she sure looks like a pitbull. She clearly does not, she has the distinctive eyes and face of the boxer and the coloring and markings of shepherd on muzzle, but because of the larger looking jaw, she is always assumed a pitbull.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmygdaughters View Post
    I agree with you, there are quite a few dogs who get lumped in the "Pitbull" classification. My dog for example, Morgan, is part boxer and part shepherd. When she was a puppy, so I was told, she had her jaw broke and it was never set properly. This causes her jaw to look larger then it is and it also cause a rather lopsided overbite. We've been out with her before and people always remark that she sure looks like a pitbull. She clearly does not, she has the distinctive eyes and face of the boxer and the coloring and markings of shepherd on muzzle, but because of the larger looking jaw, she is always assumed a pitbull.
    I've actually heard this quite often. Mainly when they are puppies, but I'm always amazed people get them mixed up.

And you are being intentionally obtuse. Insurance policies can and do refer to "Pit Bulls" as well as the more generic terms "bully breeds". Hell,

From the Insurance Information Institute, Inc (iii.org):

"Some companies require dog owners to sign liability waivers for dog bites, while others charge more for owners of breeds such as pit bulls and Rottweilers and others are not offering insurance to dog owners at all. Some will cover a pet if the owner takes the dog to classes aimed at modifying its behavior or if the dog is restrained with a muzzle, chain or cage."

INSURANCE INFORMATION INSTITUTE

110 William Street
    New York, NY 10038
    212-346-5500

The mission of the Insurance Information Institute (I.I.I.) is to improve public understanding of insurance—what it does and how it works.

For almost 60 years, the I.I.I. has provided definitive insurance information. Today, we are recognized by the media, governments, regulatory organizations, universities and the public as a primary source of information, analysis and referral concerning insurance.
    Imagine that, the group of lawyers depended upon by the media, governments, and regulatory organizations refer directly to Pit Bulls as a breed. Doesn't matter if technically they can be any of a mix of different bully breeds, if they meet the colloquial definition of Pit Bull. And you obviously know less about contract law thank you think you do if you believe only the exact letter and not the spirit of a contract clause is taken into account during court disputes.

What are the odds this incredibly responsible pet owner went out of their way to get a rider on their policy for pit bulls? I believe most homeowners/renters insurance do not cover this breed.
    Some exclude them and some don't, so I don't think it would hurt to try and get the information and file a claim. Whats the worst that can happen they say no...he's no worse off than he is now. But you never know unless you ask.
    "You die and go to heaven, I'll stay here in Bermuda".

Quote Originally Posted by lovinmaryland View Post
    Some exclude them and some don't, so I don't think it would hurt to try and get the information and file a claim. Whats the worst that can happen they say no...he's no worse off than he is now. But you never know unless you ask.
    That was my exact point, that they may run into trouble trying to sue the insurance directly depending upon coverage. But according to Chrys because Pit Bull isn't technically a breed and since I used the word breed to refer to Pit Bulls in my post no insurance company anywhere can possibly excluded them from an insurance policy. We should let them know that from now on all contract case law will be decided based on the wording I personally used on posts in this forum.

That was my exact point, that they may run into trouble trying to sue the insurance directly depending upon coverage. But according to Chrys because Pit Bull isn't technically a breed and since I used the word breed to refer to Pit Bulls in my post no insurance company anywhere can possibly excluded them from an insurance policy. We should let them know that from now on all contract case law will be decided based on the wording I personally used on posts in this forum.
    LOL ok yea we should keep that in mind for the future

He wouldn't neccisarily being suing the insurance company just initially filing a claim. Its pretty easy and straight forward. A lot of times its just submitting the bills and they'll reimburse. Unfortunately for the homeowner if the insurance company did pay out they most likely would exclude the dog from there on out.
    "You die and go to heaven, I'll stay here in Bermuda".

I've never had to go to court to testify but that may change soon, I just filed an affidavit on Tuesday because my neighbor's pitbulls keep getting out and causing trouble. One of them tried to attack my dog while I was walking it on a leash but a good kick to it's head sent it running back home. I'm glad it didn't escalate beyond that. A week or so later both of his pitbulls showed up at my house and tried to attack my dogs through the storm door. I closed the front door to block their view and they ran around back and tried again at the basement door...it's bad when you can't even let your dogs outside in your own yard. I spoke with one neighbor and the same 2 dogs have attacked his rabbit hutches and caused injuries to several rabbits. Another neighbor had to pick their little dog up and run inside. Enough is enough, I can't keep having them threatening my pets and there are several small children nearby and if anything bad were to happen I would feel guilty for not reporting them.

Members who have read this thread: 65