Mexican president says he will not go to U.S. for meeting with Trump

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
" MEXICO CITY, Jan 26 (Reuters) - Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto said on Thursday he had scrapped plans to meet Donald Trump next week after the U.S. president tweeted Mexico should cancel the meeting if it was not prepared to pay for his proposed border wall."This morning we informed the White House that I will not attend the work meeting planned for next Tuesday with the POTUS," Pena Nieto said on Twitter, referring to Trump. "

http://live.reuters.com/Event/Election_2016?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=Social

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Pena Nieto is awfully arrogant for a guy who rules over a country that is such a #### hole its citizens are leaving in droves.

You'd think the Mexican people would be amenable to fixing their country and making it habitable rather than endanger their children to illegally across our border. You'd think they'd be all for shutting down the drug cartels and the president who supports and enables them.

Chris0nllyn

Pena Nieto is awfully arrogant for a guy who rules over a country that is such a #### hole its citizens are leaving in droves.

You'd think the Mexican people would be amenable to fixing their country and making it habitable rather than endanger their children to illegally across our border. You'd think they'd be all for shutting down the drug cartels and the president who supports and enables them.

As mentioned in another thread, net Mexican immigration to the USA is negative, so it's not exactly correct to say they're "leaving in droves". Though I guess it's possible they are going elsewhere, but according to this article (albeit from 2013):
The shift with Mexico’s northern neighbor is especially stark. Americans now make up more than three-quarters of Mexico’s roughly one million documented foreigners, up from around two-thirds in 2000, leading to a historic milestone: more Americans have been added to the population of Mexico over the past few years than Mexicans have been added to the population of the United States, according to government data in both nations.

Mexican migration to the United States has reached an equilibrium, with about as many Mexicans moving north from 2005 to 2010 as those returning south. The number of Americans legally living and working in Mexico grew to more than 70,000 in 2012 from 60,000 in 2009, a number that does not include many students and retirees, those on tourist visas or the roughly 350,000 American children who have arrived since 2005 with their Mexican parents.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/22/w...portunity-is-mexico.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all&

It's arguable that the perceived danger to their children in crossing the border is a risk worth taking considering the danger to their kids back home.

It's also arguable that many do care, as evidenced by citizen militias popping up to stop the cartels in their towns because the police are nowhere to be found.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
As mentioned in another thread, net Mexican immigration to the USA is negative, so it's not exactly correct to say they're "leaving in droves".

Well hooray! I had no idea there were now zero illegal Mexican immigrants in this country. Boy, that Trump sure is a fast worker!

Chris0nllyn

Well hooray! I had no idea there were now zero illegal Mexican immigrants in this country. Boy, that Trump sure is a fast worker!

Outside of the hyperbole, certainly you can see what I meant, right?

You claimed Mexicans were leaving their country in droves. While it's possible to go to other countries, net migration from Mexico to the USA is negative. As in, more are going home than coming here. And that started well before Trump's presidential campaign.

Midnightrider

bwhahaha

don't you mean trump is pretty arrogant to make such a statement and expect the leader of a foreign and sovereign country to just take it. No surprise to anyone other than trumpers

Restitution

bwhahaha

don't you mean trump is pretty arrogant to make such a statement and expect the leader of a foreign and sovereign country to just take it. No surprise to anyone other than trumpers

Last I checked... Mexico needed US more than we need THEM so...... I don't think it is arrogant at all :yay:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Outside of the hyperbole, certainly you can see what I meant, right?

You claimed Mexicans were leaving their country in droves. While it's possible to go to other countries, net migration from Mexico to the USA is negative. As in, more are going home than coming here. And that started well before Trump's presidential campaign.

Chris, how many illegal Mexican immigrants do you think there are in this country? Take a stab, or you can look it up - your choice.

Chris0nllyn

Chris, how many illegal Mexican immigrants do you think there are in this country? Take a stab, or you can look it up - your choice.

5.8 million give-or-take.

Mexicans remain the majority of the nation’s unauthorized immigrant population, but their estimated number – 5.8 million in 2014 – has declined by about half a million people since 2009. Meanwhile, the number of unauthorized immigrants from all other nations – especially those from Asia and Central America – grew by 325,000 since 2009, to 5.3 million in 2014. The decline in unauthorized immigrants from some parts of the world, mainly Mexico, was roughly balanced by an increase in unauthorized immigrants from other parts of the world, so the total U.S. unauthorized immigrant population had no statistically significant change from 2009 to 2014.
http://www.pewhispanic.org/2016/09/...uthorized-immigrants-holds-steady-since-2009/

Chris0nllyn

Pretty sure our little country would survive and even flourish without Mexico. What is their greatest contribution to our financial state? Cheap labor and weed.... right?

And tourism.

You also seem to be insinuating that cheap labor is a bad thing. What Trump, and obviously most of his voters, doesn't seem to understand is that cheap labor, those factories and companies hiring workers there means less that need to come here for a good job. It means companies are competing with each other to give us, Americans, the best deal. Capitalism and all.

Pretty sure our little country would survive and even flourish without Mexico. What is their greatest contribution to our financial state? Cheap labor and weed.... right?

Just realized my favorite tomatoes come from Mexico.... :ohwell: I'll miss them....