Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Peso smacked after Mexican president cancels meeting

  1. #1
    INGSOC GURPS's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Peoples Republic Of Maryland
    Posts
    31,414

    Peso smacked after Mexican president cancels meeting

    Peso smacked after Mexican president cancels meeting in latest international Twitter spat


    Pena Nieto was expected to visit the U.S. next week to discuss immigration and trade issues, and Mexican officials have been meeting with the Trump administration ahead of time. Though Trump seemed to make conciliatory comments about Mexico on Wednesday, the president reversed that sentiment by tweeting Thursdaythat the meeting should be canceled if Mexico won't agree to pay for the wall.

    The Mexican president tweeted back, in Spanish, that he informed the White House that he would not be attending the meeting. White House spokesman Sean Spicer later said that the wall could be paid for with a 20 percent tax on all imports from Mexico, but the White House later backtracked and said the 20 percent tax was just an example of what could be done.


    I am going to like this Age of Twitter ... no bull s h i t filtered through diplomats or politicians - BOOM what is everyone really thinking
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
    - Robert J. Hanlon.

    “There is a deeply anti-democratic undercurrent to much of the criticism of the new president, borne aloft by an assumption that democracy is too important to be left to the voters.”

    And if a statue can oppress you, then I submit that you have greater issues. - A West.

  2. #2
    Board Mommy vraiblonde's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Off the grid
    Posts
    115,924
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by GURPS View Post
    I am going to like this Age of Twitter ... no bull s h i t filtered through diplomats or politicians - BOOM what is everyone really thinking
    Me too.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by GURPS View Post
    I am going to like this Age of Twitter ... no bull s h i t filtered through diplomats or politicians - BOOM what is everyone really thinking
    Not that you'll understand this...but the "filters" as you call them give time for cooler and calmer heads to prevail. Twitter removes that ability to think before one acts.

    A cheaper peso, should this move hold, makes their exports cheaper to the rest of the world. On a competitive basis, this little Twitter spat that you are so enamored with makes Mexican goods more competitive than ours.

    Neither of you will understand this of course. Nor will you understand that a tariff only serves to make US consumers pay higher prices and retaliatory tariffs on our goods. (hell our illustrious new President doesn't get this either...so why should a couple of his blind supporters get it?)

  4. #4
    Board Mommy vraiblonde's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Off the grid
    Posts
    115,924
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyjo View Post
    Not that you'll understand this...but the "filters" as you call them give time for cooler and calmer heads to prevail. Twitter removes that ability to think before one acts.

    A cheaper peso, should this move hold, makes their exports cheaper to the rest of the world. On a competitive basis, this little Twitter spat that you are so enamored with makes Mexican goods more competitive than ours.

    Neither of you will understand this of course. Nor will you understand that a tariff only serves to make US consumers pay higher prices and retaliatory tariffs on our goods. (hell our illustrious new President doesn't get this either...so why should a couple of his blind supporters get it?)
    Since you're so brilliant and know so much more than everyone else, how is it that all you do is spend your days picking fights on the internet?
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

  5. #5
    Visualize whirled peas Merlin99's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2006
    Location
    California, MD
    Posts
    12,736
    Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    Since you're so brilliant and know so much more than everyone else, how is it that all you do is spend your days picking fights on the internet?
    It's a calling "hi I'm dick of the internet", everyone's got a place and this is its.
    ‎"I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake"

  6. #6
    I Need a Life b23hqb's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lurking in the background in flat, humid Fl
    Posts
    10,174
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin99 View Post
    It's a calling "hi I'm dick of the internet", everyone's got a place and this is its.
    Dilbert!!!! Dick from the internet....

    http://dilbert.com/series/67-Dick-from-the-Internet
    “The truth will set you free, but first it will make you miserable.” - President James A. Garfield

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search:     Advanced Search
Search HELP

| Home | Help | Contact Us | About somd.com | Privacy | Advertising | Sponsors | Newsletter |

| What's New | What's Cool | Top Rated | Add A Link | Mod a Link |

| Announcements | Bookstore | Cafe | Calendar | Classifieds | Community |
| Culture | Dating | Dining | Education | Employment | Entertainment |
| Forums | Free E-Mail | Games | Gear! | Government | Guestbook | Health | Marketplace | Mortgage | News |
| Organizations | Photos | Real Estate | Relocation | Sports | Survey | Travel | Wiki | Weather | Worship |