Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Update on Miss Teia.

Mostly settled in... spr1975wshs's Avatar
    Took Miss Teia to the vet this morning.

New vet is youngest ever to see one of my cats, looked not yet 30. Very compassionate, thorough and gentle. Fell in love with our old gal (as have the vet techs).

Teia's BP is good, retinas looked good, weight is down a little (we've not given her medicine since that bad weekend a month ago), has mild gingivitis and a "canker sore" in her mouth.

They took blood,and urine samples, brought in a stool sample, will have results tomorrow. Wanted to know her numbers before starting the medicines again. Doc gave her a long lasting antibiotic shot, which Teia has tolerated well in the recent past.

Overall, for her age, she is doing pretty good, and looks good, though she is way thin. Hopefully the antibiotic will knock back the sore in her mouth and she'll be back to eating normally rather than just snacking.

Talked over Miss Teia's lifestyle with the vet. She likes that I have a list of Six Things to Watch. Eating, Excreting, Grooming, Getting up on the couch and end table where she eats, being Social, and having Outside Time (navigating the stairs under her own power). Doc Dorsch also did not disapprove of the few people foods that Teia likes. Said the important thing is to keep her eating.

Doc Dorsch agreed with Doc Ironmonger's assessment that Teia is 6 - 18 months older than we were told when we adopted her in June 2009. That makes her somewhere between 19 and 20 years old, plus a few months.
    Last edited by spr1975wshs; 10-30-2017 at 11:11 PM.
    Take care - Steven
    "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"

Go, Miss T!
    ​​Like I said. JMO, yo! - Roman
    If you ignore the trolls, they starve. - Wishbone

Quote Originally Posted by littlelady View Post
    Go, Miss T!
    She just finished having a late supper and hopped up on her end table by the window where her water bowl is.
    (Yes, we run the layout of the living room around the needs of our geriatric cat.)
    Last edited by spr1975wshs; 11-01-2017 at 12:20 AM.
    Take care - Steven

Got the info from Dr Dorsch. Most everything looks good. One white cell count is a little high, indicating a mild infection, so, good I asked for the antibiotic shot.

Thyroid number is still in normal range (high end, but normal) after a month of no medication.

One kidney number is a little high, but lower than last time.

One liver number is at the high end of normal.

So, it is safe to start her on the thyroid and kidney medicine again. Doc recommends a mild liver supplement, which can be compounded into a liquid, we'll get that, too.

Teia's appetite has been good today, without needing to put shredded Cheddar atop her Fancy Feast.
    Take care - Steven

Quote Originally Posted by spr1975wshs View Post
    Got the info from Dr Dorsch. Most everything looks good. One white cell count is a little high, indicating a mild infection, so, good I asked for the antibiotic shot.

Thyroid number is still in normal range (high end, but normal) after a month of no medication.

One kidney number is a little high, but lower than last time.

One liver number is at the high end of normal.

So, it is safe to start her on the thyroid and kidney medicine again. Doc recommends a mild liver supplement, which can be compounded into a liquid, we'll get that, too.

Teia's appetite has been good today, without needing to put shredded Cheddar atop her Fancy Feast.
    That’s a good thing! Go, Miss T!

Love following this story. We have had rough go at it the past couple of years. We have a feral cat at work who had 6 kittens in 2015. My sister and I, with help of a rescue, got all of them, TNR the mother, and the kittens were adopted out. We each took home a gray and white kitten, they were twins, like my sister and I. We each already had 2 cats at home, heck what's one more? My kitten (Wren) passed away in January 2016 of FIP at only 8 months old. If you don't know what that is, it was the worst day of my life. Very sudden, unforgiving, and no cure. Luckily my sister's kitten was fine, and is now 2. My husband and I were completely devastated. In the meantime, our 10 year old Titus was diagnosed with hyperthyroid, just like your cat. He had lost a ton of weight and had trouble eating. He had a bad case of stomititis also and we ended up getting 14 teeth removed. With his thyroid in check, and his teeth gone, he was a happy camper. We also have a 5 year old Tuxedo, Piper. In June of 2016 another one of our ferals at work, Gypsy, had kittens. She is a master escape artist and could not catch her to spay her. My husband and I ended up adopting one of Gypsy's kittens, a small Tuxedo named Saylor. So back to 3 cats! Unfortunately in August of this year we lost Titus at age 11. He had become very anemic and was not regenerating red blood cells. After all he had been through, we were so sad once again. It's so hard losing a pet, especially within a year of each other. I do think that getting another cat helps in healing, but we never forget our best friends. We adopted Finley the end of August, and once again back up to 3 cats. It's been hard, but we know she needed a home. Hopefully this is the last year I have to order another new cat Christmas stocking!

Good News for Miss Teia!

Quote Originally Posted by lilblondeone19 View Post
    Love following this story. We have had rough go at it the past couple of years. We have a feral cat at work who had 6 kittens in 2015. My sister and I, with help of a rescue, got all of them, TNR the mother, and the kittens were adopted out. We each took home a gray and white kitten, they were twins, like my sister and I. We each already had 2 cats at home, heck what's one more? My kitten (Wren) passed away in January 2016 of FIP at only 8 months old. If you don't know what that is, it was the worst day of my life. Very sudden, unforgiving, and no cure. Luckily my sister's kitten was fine, and is now 2. My husband and I were completely devastated. In the meantime, our 10 year old Titus was diagnosed with hyperthyroid, just like your cat. He had lost a ton of weight and had trouble eating. He had a bad case of stomititis also and we ended up getting 14 teeth removed. With his thyroid in check, and his teeth gone, he was a happy camper. We also have a 5 year old Tuxedo, Piper. In June of 2016 another one of our ferals at work, Gypsy, had kittens. She is a master escape artist and could not catch her to spay her. My husband and I ended up adopting one of Gypsy's kittens, a small Tuxedo named Saylor. So back to 3 cats! Unfortunately in August of this year we lost Titus at age 11. He had become very anemic and was not regenerating red blood cells. After all he had been through, we were so sad once again. It's so hard losing a pet, especially within a year of each other. I do think that getting another cat helps in healing, but we never forget our best friends. We adopted Finley the end of August, and once again back up to 3 cats. It's been hard, but we know she needed a home. Hopefully this is the last year I have to order another new cat Christmas stocking!
    I'm well aware of FIP and how devastating it is to a cat, especially a young one. The rescue from which we got Buff and Cooper has lost several kittens to it over the past three years, taking kittens and cats as they do from a horrid, ongoing hoarding situation in Harrisburg, PA.

We also know that sadness of losing kitties close together, lost Silver Kestrel the Ransacker to intestinal lymphoma in June 2012 a little before we moved her, Chesapeake Bandylegs the Hunter to heart failure in January 2014 and Kessie's sister Hildiekatt Halfshadow the Harrier in June 2014, also from lymphoma. The sisters were each almost 13, Chessie was just over 12. We adopted Cooper and Buff in October 2014 to try and turn our sadness to positive action.
    Take care - Steven

Brave Miss Teia...

Our friends, Tom and Joe, spent much of the day sitting in our family room conversing with us, they're the kind of friends for whom you don't have to have anything planned.

Buff hid under the couch until he saw a chance to bolt and go upstairs. Cooper was hiding under the blankets on the guest bed.

Miss Teia not only stayed out and about, she let both of them touch her and scratch her ears for a few seconds.
    She did spend most of the visit watching from out of arms length, but she did not hide as I expected.

She even had a garage patrol while they were here after we went out to dinner.
    Take care - Steven

Go, Miss T!

Members who have read this thread: 71