Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 132

Thread: Update on Miss Teia.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Mostly settled in... spr1975wshs's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Lexington Park, MD
    Posts
    756

    Update on Miss Teia.

    For those who remember the semi-famous Miss Teia Honey, she is still with us and in relatively good health. Had a rough patch earlier this week, but vet says, if the blood work shows what she expects, there are a couple medicines we can give her (thyroid and kidneys). She is down to under 6 pounds, from the 12 she weighed in her more prime time with us.

    Biggest finding, vet thinks (saw our usual vet's colleague in the practice, Park Vet Clinic) Teia is likely a bit older than we were led to believe by her previous owner. Teia is likely about 6 months older, which will mean (with the new consensus birth bracket), she will be 19 in June, which will also make 8 years we've had her. The folks we got her from were told 6 months old by the vet they used. Friends in rescue tell me it is not unusual for a vet to underage a cat to make them seem more adoptable.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Miss_Teia_Honey-17YearsOld-20151221-01.jpg 
Views:	1023 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	116914
    Last edited by spr1975wshs; 01-31-2017 at 05:54 PM.
    Take care - Steven
    "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"

  2. #2
    Registered User Roman's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Lusby
    Posts
    4,739
    She looks so happy! Our cat Ollie passed in 2015 at the age of 21 years. It's amazing that they can live that long. I hope Teia gets well soon.
    You have become responsible forever, for what you have tamed. "Antoine de Saint Exupery"

  3. #3
    Mostly settled in... spr1975wshs's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Lexington Park, MD
    Posts
    756
    Thank you. Right now she is atop my leg diligently cleaning my fingers.
    Take care - Steven
    "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"

  4. #4
    I Need a Life luvmygdaughters's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2009
    Location
    In a house
    Posts
    4,895
    Beautiful cat!! Glad she's expected to be around for a while!!

  5. #5
    Mostly settled in... spr1975wshs's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Lexington Park, MD
    Posts
    756
    Just got back from Miss Teia's follow up, no more blood, did get a good sample of her bladder contents, expect culture results on Friday.

    Her T4 number was in the mild hyperthyroid area, medicine is on order, Doc wrote it as a half usual dose, a gel we'll apply to the inside of her ear once a day.

    New thing for Teia, Vet took her blood pressure, which turned out to be in the normal range, even taking into account "white coat fever."

    If there is a low grade infection, Dr Ironmonger said that can be treated with a mild antibiotic, otherwise, we'll start the mild kidney med.

    Teia did gain .4 pounds, up to 5.8 from 5.4.
    Take care - Steven
    "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Roman View Post
    She looks so happy! Our cat Ollie passed in 2015 at the age of 21 years. It's amazing that they can live that long. I hope Teia gets well soon.
    Amazing, isn't it! My first cat, Kitty, lived to be 21, as well. I found her in a tree in my front yard in NOLA when I was 10. Don't know where she came from. She died a few months before my dot was born in 1986.

    Quote Originally Posted by spr1975wshs View Post
    Just got back from Miss Teia's follow up, no more blood, did get a good sample of her bladder contents, expect culture results on Friday.

    Her T4 number was in the mild hyperthyroid area, medicine is on order, Doc wrote it as a half usual dose, a gel we'll apply to the inside of her ear once a day.

    New thing for Teia, Vet took her blood pressure, which turned out to be in the normal range, even taking into account "white coat fever."

    If there is a low grade infection, Dr Ironmonger said that can be treated with a mild antibiotic, otherwise, we'll start the mild kidney med.

    Teia did gain .4 pounds, up to 5.8 from 5.4.
    I wish the best for Miss Teia. She is, obviously, very much loved by you. Does she have calico or tuxedo in her mix?
    ​​Like I said. JMO, yo! - Roman
    If you ignore the trolls, they starve. - Wishbone

  7. #7
    I don't want to put a damper on all the good work you've been doing, with Miss Teia. But are you aware onions are bad for cats, or do you use a recipe with out onion.? Keep up the good work and may she continue to enjoy a happy life.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Mavis View Post
    I don't want to put a damper on all the good work you've been doing, with Miss Teia. But are you aware onions are bad for cats, or do you use a recipe with out onion.? Keep up the good work and may she continue to enjoy a happy life.
    I know what you are saying. Some people food is really bad for pets. But, I think Miss T's days are limited, and she should enjoy herself. I was really ignorant about the people food thing, until I researched it 20 years ago. Yes, onions, garlic, grapes, chocolate, and more are bad. Thanks for your post. I am sure it well help others. And, I guess we all have to make our own choices about our pets.
    Last edited by littlelady; 04-30-2017 at 05:00 PM.
    ​​Like I said. JMO, yo! - Roman
    If you ignore the trolls, they starve. - Wishbone

  9. 04-30-2017, 02:01 AM

  10. #10
    Mostly settled in... spr1975wshs's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Lexington Park, MD
    Posts
    756
    Quote Originally Posted by Mavis View Post
    I don't want to put a damper on all the good work you've been doing, with Miss Teia. But are you aware onions are bad for cats, or do you use a recipe with out onion.? Keep up the good work and may she continue to enjoy a happy life.
    Did make a little portion for her without onion, as she was being very insistent as I was cutting the corned beef. Added a little potato so it was more of a pate. But, that is a good reminder, as I thought I'd read that.
    Take care - Steven
    "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"

Members who have read this thread: 71

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search:     Advanced Search
Search HELP

| Home | Help | Contact Us | About somd.com | Privacy | Advertising | Sponsors | Newsletter |

| What's New | What's Cool | Top Rated | Add A Link | Mod a Link |

| Announcements | Bookstore | Cafe | Calendar | Classifieds | Community |
| Culture | Dating | Dining | Education | Employment | Entertainment |
| Forums | Free E-Mail | Games | Gear! | Government | Guestbook | Health | Marketplace | Mortgage | News |
| Organizations | Photos | Real Estate | Relocation | Sports | Survey | Travel | Wiki | Weather | Worship |