Turning right on red

imaref

To the guy in the pickup truck behind me at the intersection near Bank of America (Lex Park) at Route 235 that lost his mind today--turning right on red is NOT a requirement. If I don't feel it's safe enough to make the turn, or if there is an SUV on my left that prevents me from seeing traffic, I'm NOT turning on red. I'm also not going to block the pedestrian walkway trying to "ease out" to see if it's safe to turn.

You can beep your horn and flash your lights as often as you wish. I couldn't care less if you arrive at your destination 10 seconds sooner or not.

RGG_jr

One of the reasons I think we could all use a driving law refresher every so often.

I feel ya though. I always turn as quickly as I can, but there's no requirement that I turn at all--it's MAY turn on red after stop, not SHALL. MY choice! When I get tooted at, I'm like "OK, a******. we'll sit here for the green light, and YOU can explain to the people behind you why!!!"

It boggles my mind that the people behind me can somehow figure it's safe for me to go!

I need a rocket launcher on my car.....

Goldenhawk

Some time back, I was stopped at the 235/Great Mills Rd intersection, waiting in the right hand lane to proceed across 235 onto the base. As you may know, the right lane is a straight OR turn lane. Lady behind me nearly goes postal on me for not turning on red - yelling at me to go, waving crazily, honking, flashing lights - when I was in fact waiting to go straight. She couldn't comprehend, apparently, that I was NOT turning, and seemed to think that the lane was only a turn lane. After a minute or two of the racket, I got out and went back to her window to inform her that I wasn't going to turn at all - whereupon she completely lost her mind screaming at me. Heh. I enjoyed passive-aggressively taking waaaaaaay longer than I should have to actually proceed forward when the light turned green. Wonder if she ever figured out how dumb she was.

imaref

Wow--people are just so self-centered. You're braver than me--I wouldn't even think of getting out of my car nowadays. Too many impatient "nuts" on the road that would do just about anything to get somewhere 10 seconds faster...

littlelady

God bless the USA
The horn honking and lights flashing have happened to me more in the last 3 months that I have lived in Montgomery County than the last 18 years that I lived in Calvert County. Guess what? I will move when I feel safe to do so. Oh, and yeah, I have given the finger to more motorists in the last 3 months in Montgomery County than I have in my whole driving career starting at 16; I am 62. No tickets, no accidents...knock on wood. I think that people that wait save the lives of others that are so impatient. Jmo, yo.

I forgot to say that Montgomery Cty sucks, but I moved here for family, so I will deal with it.

Last edited:

littlelady

God bless the USA
Some time back, I was stopped at the 235/Great Mills Rd intersection, waiting in the right hand lane to proceed across 235 onto the base. As you may know, the right lane is a straight OR turn lane. Lady behind me nearly goes postal on me for not turning on red - yelling at me to go, waving crazily, honking, flashing lights - when I was in fact waiting to go straight. She couldn't comprehend, apparently, that I was NOT turning, and seemed to think that the lane was only a turn lane. After a minute or two of the racket, I got out and went back to her window to inform her that I wasn't going to turn at all - whereupon she completely lost her mind screaming at me. Heh. I enjoyed passive-aggressively taking waaaaaaay longer than I should have to actually proceed forward when the light turned green. Wonder if she ever figured out how dumb she was.

Never do that again. Not a smart move, or worth the risk. :boo:

One more thing. Hub is a cool and collected guy, but he got pissed one day when someone randomly threw a water bottle that hit is windshield (231 and Rt 4). He got out at the light, and read them their rights; so to speak. They were startled that he reacted, but you never know who you are up against. He can hold his own, but I still think it is a bad idea to do that. I read him the riot act when he got home and told me about it. Let it go, and all that! But, once a Marine, always, a Marine. Oorah! He told me! I give up! :lol:

Last edited:

spclopr8tr

On the other hand, I've seen people sitting in the right lane with their turn signal on with NO traffic approaching and clear visibility. But it is hard to determine if it is safe to turn when their attention is focused on that all important text message on their phone.

PeoplesElbow

I have had that exact same thing happen to me at that spot. I don't get it.

glhs837

Power with Control
I think not wanting to impede any pedestrians (who could quite easily go behind your vehicle, BTW) is a bit thin of a reason not to creep forward to see past the truck, but that's me. Would I blow my horn at you, no, of course not, but I would not be happy.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
On the other hand, I've seen people sitting in the right lane with their turn signal on with NO traffic approaching and clear visibility. But it is hard to determine if it is safe to turn when their attention is focused on that all important text message on their phone.

:clap: Great first post! :clap:

The_Twisted_Ear

A proud Conservative!
...After a minute or two of the racket, I got out and went back to her window to inform her that I wasn't going to turn at all...
FWIW - Our world is full of fools right now - you realize you put your life at risk? That "citizen" behind you could have had a gun or knife - you really should never do that - you are putting your life at risk these days confronting a idiot blowing their horn, etc.

officeguy

If people do that I put on the hazards and walk around my car. Obviously they are trying to tell me that something is broken, flat tire or something.

Goldenhawk

FWIW - Our world is full of fools right now - you realize you put your life at risk? That "citizen" behind you could have had a gun or knife - you really should never do that - you are putting your life at risk these days confronting a idiot blowing their horn, etc.
Normally I'd agree with you. This girl was so bent outa shape I just couldn't resist.
If people do that I put on the hazards and walk around my car.
Love it. I'll have to remember that tactic.

FireBrand

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
To the impatient/honking bastards, I just put it in reverse and let the backup lights go on.
The idiot usually gets confused and quiets down.

DannyMotorcycle

LOL at the reverse lights, and car inspection. Good ones.

When i lived in Arlington, i'd always see immigrants in a right turn only lane, No traffic anywhere, waiting for the green light. I'd beep, they'd point to the red light. smh.

When there is even traffic far away, i can understand some people waiting. When your'e driving, you shouldn't drive as if your vehicle is infallible. I'm sure many people have
jumped into traffic only to get creamed when their vehicle failed to perform as they had hoped.

It's funny how i was thinking earlier today and yesterday, that as people, we're still pretty dumb and in a still developing time period. The masses are ignorant. The technology of the future
will make our current way of life resemble how we look upon people travelling with horse and buggies. People are GD idiots.

I realize every day when I drive how dumb people are... there's a clear red light ahead that is obviously not changing any time soon.. and sure enough plenty of idiots have to zoom by me
wasting their gas and brakes only to sit and wait at that same red light that I drive to at a reasonable speed, decelerating as i get closer and closer.

People are lucky there isn't intelligence tests that separate the stupid into slavery. Perhaps we'd all be better off, because apparently the stupid don't know what to do with themselves
and make bad decisions. they could use some guidance.

littlelady

God bless the USA
To the impatient/honking bastards, I just put it in reverse and let the backup lights go on.

:lol: That's a great idea. Rear ending in reverse! Good one!

Don't forget to post Valentine's Day Hangman! :smile:

RGG_jr

Danny, I think the point many of us are making here is that there's no requirement that a driver turn right on red. It's may not must turn. So, I don't get the point of beeping a horn by anybody. The driver at the light is doing nothing wrong legally. While I wouldn't sit there waiting for green, neither do I have a requirement to turn until the light is green. Yeah, it can be aggravating, but so are people not signalling lane changes, but there's no law for that either in Maryland.

Last edited:

I tried that once. Just set the guy off even more.

I was making a right-on-red onto 235 NB. I'm in a truck, there is a car in front of me and lots of traffic. The idiot behind me can't see the small car in front of me and is laying on the horn and gesturing and waving and.... he wanted me to pull out and use the right hand turn lane as a merge lane, but I couldn't move. Really getting impatient and annoying. I tried the reverse lights on him, and he went ballistic. Eventually the light changed and as we pull out he spots the car in front of me. So now he smiles and waves as tho to say 'sorry, my bad'. I waved back. With a single finger.

DEEKAYPEE8569

:yay: :yay: