racism and no go zones?

DannyMotorcycle

One of my friends, who is a black woman, posted this on my facebook page in response to a 'no go' zones video
on fox news that says there are muslim jihadist camps in the U.S.

" There are also some "NO GO" zones here in Charles County and further down pass the Chesapeake, where some ppl know not to go or be caught there after dark, what are they going to do about them?? Are they not "terrorist" as well?"

And she's clearly inferring racists whites..

Are there really racist white areas in southern md that have racial tensions?

RGG_jr

I grew up in Charles County, and briefly Saint Mary's County, since '73 and stayed until 2004. Never heard of those areas. Probably tales from the '50s and '60s.

A friend and I were driving through the 'dog patch' area near the Charles/PG border back in the '80s, and when he stopped for directions, some dude reached into his car and swiped his new leather jacket right off the seat of his car! I guess we were in the 'reverse' area!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I hate to tell your friend this, but there are definite areas you shouldn't be in if you're white, but I've never heard of anywhere you shouldn't go if you're black.

Kinnakeet

One of my friends, who is a black woman, posted this on my facebook page in response to a 'no go' zones video
on fox news that says there are muslim jihadist camps in the U.S.

" There are also some "NO GO" zones here in Charles County and further down pass the Chesapeake, where some ppl know not to go or be caught there after dark, what are they going to do about them?? Are they not "terrorist" as well?"

And she's clearly inferring racists whites..

Are there really racist white areas in southern md that have racial tensions?

(further down pass the Chesapeake)The correct word is PAST not pass!

FED_UP

I had to look at a map of the Chesapeake; it goes past Baltimore on the right and a smaller river to the left heading somd area. Your friend is repeating some old tale. I'm not afraid to go anywhere in MD. If I had a friend that told me that I would have said are you smoking crack or show me something to back up your statement. Actually her comment is kind of offensive to you IMO. I even had to look up a map of Charles County, OK it’s the western portion (Laplata, Prince Frederick) of Southern Maryland above St Mary's, been in Laplata before. I don't get the basis of her comment.

Last edited:

BernieP

Resident PIA
I heard - back between 79-81 - back in the day [probably the 1950's / 60's] if you were black, you had better not be on Cobb Island after sundown

A friend, who is white, told me a story of being invited to a party.
When he and his buddies show up, they go around back to see a bonfire and to their surprise, a KKK rally.
He said that was the 7th district sometime back in the 70s-80s

Hank

my war
I grew up in Charles County, and briefly Saint Mary's County, since '73 and stayed until 2004. Never heard of those areas. Probably tales from the '50s and '60s.

A friend and I were driving through the 'dog patch' area near the Charles/PG border back in the '80s, and when he stopped for directions, some dude reached into his car and swiped his new leather jacket right off the seat of his car! I guess we were in the 'reverse' area!

Ha! "Asking directions" in DogPatch? Surrrrrreeee.... :lmao:

mitzi

Ha! "Asking directions" in DogPatch? Surrrrrreeee.... :lmao:

I would travel that way home from work sometimes when 5 was so backed up. They used to wave you down when you just passing thru. Haven't been that way in years, I wonder if it still looks as run down.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I'm sure I've said it before, that I did not experience or see racism growing up. I was aware that it had existed at some point, but for me it was part of America's history. I grew up in Daytona Beach, and lived there until I was 20. I then lived in CO for a year. I did not experience or see racism. I joined the Navy in 1980, and I was either active duty or dependent until 1996, and I did not see or experience racism in the Navy environment. It was not until I moved to MD, that I experienced anything that looked like racism.

My first job, part time because I was still a "stay at home" mom, was working in the General Store in St. Inigoes while my daughter was in school. I was at the register, and there were maybe half dozen people in the store. It was around mid-day. An elderly black man came in, walking very slowly with a cane. When I say elderly, I mean he was ancient. It took him several minutes to get from the door to the register, which is near the entrance. He made a request form something behind the counter, and said he needed to go grab a pack of hot dogs from the back of the store. I told him to sit tight, that I would get them. As I was walking back, I noticed that everyone in the little store had stopped what they were doing to watch me. I remember feeling very awkward because I had no idea why they were staring at me. I grabbed the hot dogs, and went back to the register, rang him and and bid him a good day. The people in the store continued to stare until the old man left.

Another time, I was in Raleys in Ridge. I got in line behind a young black man, probably 30ish, who had a few things in his hands. He told me to go ahead of him. I said I was fine, not in a hurry, he only had a few things, but thanks. He was very insistent, but so was I. He stood there for another minute or so, then said he had forgotten something, left the line, and came back a few minutes later, as I was checking out. It didn't look like he had gotten anything else. I got the impression that there was some unspoken rule that I was not familiar with.

I also started experiencing the black on white rudeness and general lack of courtesy in Southern MD. The entire time I lived there, I would have experiences like a black person ahead of me, and the cashier carrying on a conversation and being cordial. When it was my turn I wouldn't get so much as a "kiss my ass", at least nothing audible. There's a cashier at Shoppers that probably still does this. I stopped shopping there because of her. I was always pleasant to her, and she would treat me like I was invisible every time I went to her register.The cashier would process my stuff, with a shriveled up prune expression and practically throw the receipt at me. Or the "whadda' ya' want", and just basically an angry sort of person.

Anyway, more to the OP-I don't find it so far fetched to think that there is a place, that not not in the too distant past, if not now, was or is a place that a black person might not feel safe going to. That said, there are places that I don't feel safe going to. I won't drive down Great Mills Rd after dark. Mind you, that has less to do with the color of anyone skin than just the general nature of the area.

Now, down south I'm finding that if black people don't like me, I sure as hell don't know it. Everyone has been courteous and polite. People in the south seem genuinely kind and happy.

Hank

my war
I would travel that way home from work sometimes when 5 was so backed up. They used to wave you down when you just passing thru. Haven't been that way in years, I wonder if it still looks as run down.

It's a ghost town, nowadays.

slowlane

There are still, some blue-collar, 99% - 100% segregated places such as

Potomac Heights in Indian Head: white

Woodland Heights in Indian Head: black

"The Meadows" projects in LaPlata, near the Kent Avenue train tracks: black

"Marvin Gardens" townhouses in southern LaPlata: black

Last edited: