FLASHBACK: Democrats Tried To Block Thousands Of Vietnam War Refugees, Including Orphans

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
FLASHBACK: Democrats Tried To Block Thousands Of Vietnam War Refugees, Including Orphans

The group, led by California’s Gov. Jerry Brown, included such liberal luminaries as Delaware’s Democratic Sen. Joe Biden, former presidential “peace candidate” George McGovern, and New York Congresswoman Elizabeth Holtzman.

The Los Angeles Times reported Brown even attempted to prevent planes carrying Vietnamese refugees from landing at Travis Air Force Base outside San Francisco. About 500 people were arriving each day and eventually 131,000 arrived in the United States between 1975 and 1977.

These people arrived despite protests from liberal Democrats. In 2015, the Los Angeles Times recounted Brown’s ugly attitude, reporting, “Brown has his own checkered history of demagoguery about refugees.”

Back in 1975, millions of South Vietnamese who worked for or supported the U.S. found themselves trapped behind the lines when the communists took over the country. Vietnamese emigre Tung Vu, writing in Northwest Asian Weekly, recalled the hardships the Vietnamese faced in 1975 as they tried to escape the communists.

Read more: #ixzz4XGbxTHeX

Hijinx

I bet every one of them is either working or retired from a job they had and that they all speak English.

littlelady

God bless the USA
For saying that they became Americans, learned our language, and worked hard.

You are right. If that makes me a bigot I proudly admit it.

I have been here far longer than KevLibBeacon, and never once have I seen any post you made that portrayed you as a bigot. In fact, far from it. Shaking my head at the hypocritical spew from a few on here, and the massive spew coming from the media, and protesters. :barf:

PeoplesElbow

Exceptions to every rule.

From what I gather that is quite common, we relocated them to just a few communities and they isolated themselves for the most part.

Now I had a friend in college that was 5 years old when he was a refugee from Vietnam, his English was excellent, and he was the hardest working student I ever met, he wanted nothing more than to be a great med tech.

Hijinx

From what I gather that is quite common, we relocated them to just a few communities and they isolated themselves for the most part.

Now I had a friend in college that was 5 years old when he was a refugee from Vietnam, his English was excellent, and he was the hardest working student I ever met, he wanted nothing more than to be a great med tech.

It is a fact that Irish , and Italians ,Germans , and Chinese who came to this country in the past formed themselves into ghetto's in cities where they lived.
Even Baltimore had its Italian section, and look what we got --Pelosi.
Many kept their original language and learned English also.
To dispel this argument about how many actually learned and and how well they learned it let me start another argument.

IMO ,No country can survive that does not have a common language.
Babel just does not work.
The common language in America is our brand of English.
If people wish to live here they should learn it.
We should not be responsible to see that their language whatever it is appears on our telephones, our government documents, and other official appearances.
They are the ones responsible to learn ,or go around like I would France.

PeoplesElbow

You realize that statistic is the literacy rate in Vietnam, so I am guessing it is in Vietnamese.

From Wikipedia
In 2012, Vietnamese immigrants had a higher percentage of those who were Limited English Proficient (68 percent) than other Southeast Asian groups (47 percent) and the overall U.S. foreign-born population (50 percent). Seven percent of Vietnamese Americans said that they spoke English only at home, a lower percentage than other groups.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietnamese_Americans

Last edited: