Questions intesify about artifical turf fields

3CATSAILOR

Many years ago during a Board of Education meeting I told the BOE that I suspected Artificial Turf fields were dangerous. Now it seems that there is more and more supporting evidence to support what I have suspected for quite some time. But yet, the base recently installed an AT field. I heard that St. Mary's County is thinking about it. I am not against the idea. I am simply against the danger "and" the associated expense from repairs from something such as a vandalism to the field. It can be quite costly. It seems like people are pushed more by the commercial push than stepping back and asking questions. Perhaps there are other AT fields made with safer materials. I am in no way saying it isn't possible. It probably is. But, there is likely a significant increase in the cost of the AT field which is already pretty costly as it is. What I thought is rather interesting is that some football stadiums that had an AT field went to regular grass instead. I for one would not allow any of my kids to play on the fields. Too many unknowns. And now the science is starting to learn toward the danger side of it.

The heat is being turned up on the health issues between artificial turf and cancer.

A professor at the University of Stirling says he has identified cancer-causing chemicals in crumb samples from artificial turf soccer fields.

Specifically, the professor was analyzing 3G pitches--which claim to be the most significant and successful development in synthetic surface technology designed for football (soccer) and rugby. In 3G turf, the pile (artificial grass 'blades') is supported by a thin base layer of sand, and by an infill of rubber crumb. The pile height ranges from 40mm to 65mm depending on which primary sport is to be played on the surface.

An article in The Scotsman reports: "Samples of the crumb – pellets spread on the artificial turf to improve its bounce – were sent for testing by the Environment Scientifics Group, and the results were passed to Professor Andrew Watterson, an environmental health expert from the University of Stirling. Watterson was quoted as saying: “This report confirms and reveals the presence of a number of carcinogens at various levels in the rubber crumb. “If the chemicals and metals remain locked in to the crumb, then there will be no exposure. “However, it seems to be fairly clear that there may be some potential risk from some of these substances to sports people."

FieldTurf, a big seller of artificial turf fields, claims: " Volumes of research and testing from academics and state governments like New York, California, Massachusetts and Connecticut, and school systems have examined everything called into question about synthetic turf. The conclusions show that there isn't conclusive scientific evidence proving that artificial turf systems cause health risks. Synthetic turf is, and has always been safe. There is no scientific or medical evidence that synthetic turf poses a human health or environmental risk."

There has been concern about the safety of artificial turf for years. In 1978, experts found exposing mice to Chrysene led to a huge increase in tumours in the animals. A 1993 study into Benzo (E) Pyrene said the substance promotes tumours forming on skin.

In 2014, NBC looked into the potential link between the rubber crumbs used in artificial turf and female soccer players getting cancer. The broadcast focused on Amy Griffin, associate head coach for the University of Washington’s women’s soccer team. Griffin, in her words, has discovered “a stream of kids” that have played on artificial turf and soon gotten cancer. Griffin has compiled a list of 38 American soccer players–34 of them goalies–who have been diagnosed with cancer. At least a dozen played in Washington, but the geographic spread is nationwide. Blood cancers like lymphoma and leukemia dominate the list.

In response to a NBC News investigation, the House Energy and Commerce Committee sent a letter to the EPA Administrator looking for more information about the safety of crumb rubber fields. Congress gave the EPA a November 6, 2015 deadline, which the EPA failed to meet.

Finally in February three U.S. government agencies will team up to study whether artificial turf fields and playgrounds that use bits of recycled tires are exposing children to dangerous chemicals. The Environmental Protection Agency, the Consumer Product Safety Commission and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced on Friday they will study the issue, CPSC Chairman Elliot Kaye said in a statement.

3CATSAILOR

There is extensive information about it on the Internet. There has always been some question about AT fields. When I was a member of the County Health Board we talked about it years ago. As the science becomes more available we will continue to learn more. It does sadden me that people didn't examine this issue more extensively before so many children have been diagnosed with cancer. Speaking for myself, I wouldn't let any child of mine get any where near an AT field. However, there are other folks out there that will swear by the AT fields as being perfectly safe, regardless of what we continue to learn. Those folks are welcome to take the chance with their kids. But, if they find out too late that they are wrong, then what?

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
have you seen the new TURF on base at the gym fields? not sure what if anything thye'll have for "filler" if thats what its called...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Friends kid blew up his knee because it's too sticky.

They're great for being consistent and allowing schools to use them for a LOT of sports and a LOT of games but the little I hear is they are too 'grippy.' So, the weak link is the already weak knee.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Grass - Natures play ground covering
That Said .... How Many PRO Sports Teams are on Playing on Astro Turf - how many of them are getting cancer

but you put Children and Cancer Together :cds: and suddenly the internet is flooded with 'news stories'

stgislander

PREMO Member

They're great for being consistent and allowing schools to use them for a LOT of sports and a LOT of games but the little I hear is they are too 'grippy.' So, the weak link is the already weak knee.

I believe that's why schools want AT fields. Lots of sports playing lots of games on the same field throughout the year. By the end of the school year, the field has a brown dirt stripe down the middle. Hardly enough time to have the grass back for football season in the fall.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I believe that's why schools want AT fields. Lots of sports playing lots of games on the same field throughout the year. By the end of the school year, the field has a brown dirt stripe down the middle. Hardly enough time to have the grass back for football season in the fall.

Yup.

And having knee surgeons and lots of physical therapists is good for the community. :buddies:

BernieP

Resident PIA

Having watch my kids play on those fields, they would be better off on turf.
The three St. Mary's Co. High Schools have one field for football, soccer, lacrosse, field hockey and track and field (did I forget one?)
That's two soccer teams, two lacrosse teams and two (or more) football teams.
The fields are used all year round.
Pro teams can afford grass fields because they can rest them during the week and off season.
Public schools have just about enough time to mow the little grass that is there and put the lines down.
They are muddy, dusty and rough. Might as well play in a cow pasture.
The schools have no real alternative at this point.
Given the ability of 99% of the kids playing, I don't think turf fields will be the cause of knew injuries.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
and how many injuries do you think happen as a result of the uneven / rough surface these grassless fields result in currently?

Don;t know. If you know, please share as I don;t know actual stats, only what kids I know who play on it say or their parents.

I'll say this from first hand experience; crappy real fields were not hard on knees from a torque perspective; there wasn't much grip.

Goldenhawk

and how many injuries do you think happen as a result of the uneven / rough surface these grassless fields result in currently?
I play soccer twice a week on an "unimproved" field... when it's wet or muddy from the latest rainfall, guys are always slipping and stretching groin muscles. When it's super dry, the solid dirt provides no traction so there are just as many slips and falls, and skinned knees. Only a few rare days are played on that sweet spot with good traction. I have a hard time believing that AT can be any worse - rather, I think it would be a lot safer.

I *have* been told that getting turf shoes is important - regular plastic cleats are a bad idea.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Don;t know. If you know, please share as I don;t know actual stats, only what kids I know who play on it say or their parents.

I'll say this from first hand experience; crappy real fields were not hard on knees from a torque perspective; there wasn't much grip.

I don't know if they keep stats, I'm pretty damn sure they don't keep anything if it would cause them a problem.
But the post below is what I was talking about. Sprained ankles, trip and falls (which caused other injuries).

I don't see the vast majority of the student athletes as making cuts like the pros that would put that much torque on their knees.
Proper equipment and conditioning would help to reduce the risk of injury.

The biggest problem with the "natural" fields is that they cannot be maintained and their poor condition not only leads to injury, but alters the outcome of games. It's also a big reason that games are canceled because on weather. It's hard to postpone a game when the fields are booked like they are.

The decision comes down to either cutting back on use, which means teams have to play else where or going to turf.
I would not want to be an administrator in the school system that had to decide which teams got the boot, chances are you would be facing a law suit.

I play soccer twice a week on an "unimproved" field... when it's wet or muddy from the latest rainfall, guys are always slipping and stretching groin muscles. When it's super dry, the solid dirt provides no traction so there are just as many slips and falls, and skinned knees. Only a few rare days are played on that sweet spot with good traction. I have a hard time believing that AT can be any worse - rather, I think it would be a lot safer.

I *have* been told that getting turf shoes is important - regular plastic cleats are a bad idea.

3CATSAILOR

Actually, the article seems quite clear to me. If you disagree with it, then feel free to expose your children to AT fields.

3CATSAILOR

have you seen the new TURF on base at the gym fields? not sure what if anything thye'll have for "filler" if thats what its called...

I heard about it. But, have not seen it. The base seems to push it as the next best thing since Swiss cheese. I suspect they will eventually invite the public schools in to use their AT field since the general public has question not only the safety, but the expense associated with AT fields for quite some time. You are right about the content of the AT field. I don't think they told anyone.

3CATSAILOR

You are right. I have heard the same thing. It's a shame. In time folks will see that AT fields are not what they are cracked up to be for a wide range of reasons. Until then, some will think they are harmless and other folks won't take the chance.

3CATSAILOR

You are correct "in part". For playing on the field, it may be the same or on some days better. Some kids using the field think that AT fields provide an advantage although there is no established science to back the claim. But, from a "health" prospective, the article speaks for itself. It may come down to on any given day, are you more concerned about playing on a field that gives you an unproven advantage and take the risk of what the report claims, or pass on the risk and protect your kids. The decision is yours.

3CATSAILOR

I don't know if they keep stats, I'm pretty damn sure they don't keep anything if it would cause them a problem.
But the post below is what I was talking about. Sprained ankles, trip and falls (which caused other injuries).

I don't see the vast majority of the student athletes as making cuts like the pros that would put that much torque on their knees.
Proper equipment and conditioning would help to reduce the risk of injury.

The biggest problem with the "natural" fields is that they cannot be maintained and their poor condition not only leads to injury, but alters the outcome of games. It's also a big reason that games are canceled because on weather. It's hard to postpone a game when the fields are booked like they are.

The decision comes down to either cutting back on use, which means teams have to play else where or going to turf.
I would not want to be an administrator in the school system that had to decide which teams got the boot, chances are you would be facing a law suit.

And if the fields cause health problems as some believe, you still have the law suit. Just speaking for myself, out of my love for children, I would rather be protective than not protective enough. For those that wish to call it "too protective", I am perfectly fine with that based on the article I read.