NBC wants to be ‘the next Fox News,’ insiders say

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Media insiders are buzzing that Andy Lack wants NBC to become “the next Fox News” after he poached cable stars Greta Van Susteren and Megyn Kelly from the network.

“He believes he’s building MSNBC and NBC into the next Fox. It seems the network wants to take a more conservative tone,” a source said.

Kelly was hired at NBC without an official time slot, but Page Six exclusively revealed she would be taking over the “9 a.m. or 10 a.m. hour” of “Today” in September.

We’re told she is getting paid about $12 million a year for the gig, which will include a Sunday talk show.

Hijinx

Media insiders are buzzing that Andy Lack wants NBC to become “the next Fox News” after he poached cable stars Greta Van Susteren and Megyn Kelly from the network.

“He believes he’s building MSNBC and NBC into the next Fox. It seems the network wants to take a more conservative tone,” a source said.

Kelly was hired at NBC without an official time slot, but Page Six exclusively revealed she would be taking over the “9 a.m. or 10 a.m. hour” of “Today” in September.

We’re told she is getting paid about $12 million a year for the gig, which will include a Sunday talk show.

If he is looking for Conservatives , he may have slipped up hiring Megyn. She blew her Bona Fides.

PsyOps

Pixelated
They would have to start steering right to be anything like Fox. They have a LOOOOOOOOOONG way to go for that.

This_person

One doesn't have to be conservative to sell the product. A pretty smile and a pair of C cups is all that's required.

Hannity may have C cups, but I don't think Thomas Sowell does. Must not be required after all.

But, I think you misunderstood what Hijinx was saying - he was saying Kelly is not really selling conservatism. You answered by saying what she has, and that's all she needs to sell conservatism. You didn't really address what Hijinx's point was (in fact, you answered the opposite of it).

SamSpade

Needs to examine the concept of "Cargo Cult Science".

You can't produce something by mimicking the procedures.
They're not going to be "the next FOX news" just by hiring ex-FOX anchors. The higher ups are NOT going to allow anything actually conservative to be promoted.

What they WANT is the market share that FOX has, and they think by grabbing their stars, they'll produce it. Won't happen.

This has the feel of Air America about it - some half-brained scheme to win over talk radio by hiring a bunch of people and getting air time.
Doesn't happen that way.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
What they WANT is the market share that FOX has, and they think by grabbing their stars, they'll produce it. Won't happen.

^This^

NBC has an enormous image problem to overcome before they'll be considered anything other than a DNC shill. Conservatives don't get their news from NBC, and they won't start now just because Megyn Kelly has a daytime talk show - conservatives work during the day, they aren't at home watching TV. If these leftwing outlets start even hinting at conservative, the progs will burn them to the ground and threaten them with violence.

They did this to themselves. Ha ha!

PsyOps

Pixelated

I've watched Greta a couple of times, and she has completely folded under the leftist wings of NBC. If you were to watch her on Fox then on MSNBC you would think you were watching two completely different people.

Point being... you can't recruit Fox people, then turn them into leftist bots and expect rating to change.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I've watched Greta a couple of times, and she has completely folded under the leftist wings of NBC. If you were to watch her on Fox then on MSNBC you would think you were watching two completely different people.

Point being... you can't recruit Fox people, then turn them into leftist bots and expect rating to change.

Greta, like Megyn, does this for a living. It's her job. They threw a ton of money at her and said, "Here, say this," so she did. There's no reason why Megyn Kelly would leave a primetime spot in the most popular cable network to go do a daytime talk show on a failing network....except money.

stgislander

PREMO Member
There's no reason why Megyn Kelly would leave a primetime spot in the most popular cable network to go do a daytime talk show on a failing network....except money.

And possibly an inflated ego that she alone can right a sinking ship (NBC).

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I've watched Greta a couple of times, and she has completely folded under the leftist wings of NBC.

She did, and she has lost a huge audience. I was on her FB page when this happened, and 99% of the people that posted a response to her great news said, not only would they not follow her to NBC, they would probably stop following her altogether.

Their are a few good journalists out there that had a golden opportunity to pull together their own news. They could have done it on youtube, or a blog, or any number of outlets. They could have pulled together a group that would actually research and report the truth. They didn't.

Hijinx

She did, and she has lost a huge audience. I was on her FB page when this happened, and 99% of the people that posted a response to her great news said, not only would they not follow her to NBC, they would probably stop following her altogether.

Their are a few good journalists out there that had a golden opportunity to pull together their own news. They could have done it on youtube, or a blog, or any number of outlets. They could have pulled together a group that would actually research and report the truth. They didn't.

Sorry to hear that about Greta, I thought she was for real.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Greta, like Megyn, does this for a living. It's her job. They threw a ton of money at her and said, "Here, say this," so she did. There's no reason why Megyn Kelly would leave a primetime spot in the most popular cable network to go do a daytime talk show on a failing network....except money.

She took less to go to NBC than she would have gotten from Fox.

This_person

Then she's just stupid. Nobody with a brain leaves prime time for housewifeville.

Unless, maybe, it wasn't actually her choice to go at that time. Perhaps she was given an offer she couldn't refuse ("you have one month to find a new job, or you can leave without a new job...your choice")

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Unless, maybe, it wasn't actually her choice to go at that time. Perhaps she was given an offer she couldn't refuse ("you have one month to find a new job, or you can leave without a new job...your choice")

It was all over that Fox was throwing money at her to make her stay. So perhaps it's what she said it was: she wanted a day job to spend more time with her children. I guess I'm just so used to these TV people lying and spinning that I'm jaded.