SEAL, American Girl Die in First Trump-Era U.S. Military Raid

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
" In what an official said was the first military raid carried out under President Donald Trump, two Americans were killed in Yemen on Sunday — one a member of SEAL Team 6 and the other the 8-year-old daughter of Anwar al-Awlaki, the New Mexico-born al Qaeda leader who himself was killed in a U.S. strike five years ago.

The raid in southern Yemen, conducted by the supersecret Joint Special Operations Command, was intended to capture valuable intelligence, specifically computer equipment, according to a senior U.S. military official. Three al Qaeda leaders were killed, according to U.S. officials.

Contrary to earlier reporting, the senior military official said, the raid was Trump's first clandestine strike — not a holdover mission approved by President Barack Obama. The mission involved "boots on the ground" at an al Qaeda camp near al Bayda in south central Yemen, the official said.

"Almost everything went wrong," the official said.

An MV-22 Osprey experienced a hard landing near the site, injuring several SEALs, one severely. The tilt-rotor aircraft had to be destroyed. A SEAL was killed during the firefight on the ground, as were some noncombatants, including females. "

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/seal-american-girl-die-first-trump-era-u-s-military-n714346

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Other news reports deem the raid an overall success, although acknowledging the loss of the one SEAL, the hard landing and loss of the Osprey.

Guess it was a mixed bag.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Other news reports deem the raid an overall success, although acknowledging the loss of the one SEAL, the hard landing and loss of the Osprey.

Guess it was a mixed bag.

Thus, not a success. Worse, we know about it which is another fail.

Can someone tell me why we still use Ospreys? Are they actually performing within tolerance parameters vs. helo's?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

Can someone tell me why we still use Ospreys? Are they actually performing within tolerance parameters vs. helo's?

Not all Ospreys are the same....and "mission success" is never a binary quantity.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member

We're still using Ospreys because we've spent 50 years trying to make something like this work and by damn we will make it work. The PMA used to call it an oil leak between two ceiling fans.

itsbob

I bowl overhand

Depends on your test for success..

If you eliminated the target(s) you were after, despite losses, it could still be a success.

It's a hard fact to face, but you can't have 100% success without some loss of life (that's just a fact of war).. Loss of an aircraft, no matter how much it costs is way down the list of "measurement of success".

Remember, D-Day was deemed a HUGE success... and hopefully we never have to pay for success at those rates ever again.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Don't think SOAR has the V-22.. but since it's double super secret.. who knows..

I googled it. You're correct. The super-secret 8th SOS flies them for special operations folks. Unless that's some sort of super secret head fake to throw us off? I expect whomever does NOT fly them will be making sure everyone knows it wasn't them through friends friends FB pages by sundown.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Depends on your test for success..

If you eliminated the target(s) you were after, despite losses, it could still be a success.

It's a hard fact to face, but you can't have 100% success without some loss of life (that's just a fact of war).. Loss of an aircraft, no matter how much it costs is way down the list of "measurement of success".

Remember, D-Day was deemed a HUGE success... and hopefully we never have to pay for success at those rates ever again.

I would deem it a success if we didn't know if it was a success or not or that it even happened other than waking up one day wondering why Islam had undergone a reformation and no one took it any more seriously than the other religions and there's been no killing in gods, or anyone elses name, for some time. I'll take that. :buddies:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I googled it. You're correct. The super-secret 8th SOS flies them for special operations folks. Unless that's some sort of super secret head fake to throw us off? I expect whomever does NOT fly them will be making sure everyone knows it wasn't them through friends friends FB pages by sundown.

I think that's the V-23. Or 24...whatever it takes...

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I would deem it a success if we didn't know if it was a success or not or that it even happened other than waking up one day wondering why Islam had undergone a reformation and no one took it any more seriously than the other religions and there's been no killing in gods, or anyone elses name, for some time. I'll take that. :buddies:

True.. but when we are using equipment specific to the US it's really hard to disavow our involvement with them standing on the remnants of a V-22..