Boy Scouts Allows Transgender Kids Into Boys-Only Programs

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
" DALLAS (AP) — A New Jersey woman whose son was asked to leave his Boy Scouts troop after leaders found out he is transgender said she has mixed emotions about the organization's decision to allow transgender children who identify as boys to enroll in its boys-only programs.

The Boy Scouts of America announced Monday that enrollment in its boys-only programs will now be based on the gender a child or parent lists on his application to become a scout, rather than the gender listed on the child's birth certificate.

Eight-year-old Joe Maldonado was asked to leave his scout troop in Secaucus, New Jersey, last fall after parents and leaders found out he is transgender. The organization's statement did not specifically mention Joe's case, but said it changed the policy because of the larger conversation about gender identity taking place around the country.

"For more than 100 years, the Boy Scouts of America, along with schools, youth sports and other youth organizations, have ultimately deferred to the information on an individual's birth certificate to determine eligibility for our single-gender programs," the statement said. "However, that approach is no longer sufficient as communities and state laws are interpreting gender identity differently, and these laws vary widely from state to state." "

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/boy-scouts-trans-kids-boys-only-programs?utm_content=buffer109a9&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Hijinx

" DALLAS (AP) — A New Jersey woman whose son was asked to leave his Boy Scouts troop after leaders found out he is transgender said she has mixed emotions about the organization's decision to allow transgender children who identify as boys to enroll in its boys-only programs.

The Boy Scouts of America announced Monday that enrollment in its boys-only programs will now be based on the gender a child or parent lists on his application to become a scout, rather than the gender listed on the child's birth certificate.

Eight-year-old Joe Maldonado was asked to leave his scout troop in Secaucus, New Jersey, last fall after parents and leaders found out he is transgender. The organization's statement did not specifically mention Joe's case, but said it changed the policy because of the larger conversation about gender identity taking place around the country.

"For more than 100 years, the Boy Scouts of America, along with schools, youth sports and other youth organizations, have ultimately deferred to the information on an individual's birth certificate to determine eligibility for our single-gender programs," the statement said. "However, that approach is no longer sufficient as communities and state laws are interpreting gender identity differently, and these laws vary widely from state to state." "

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/boy-scouts-trans-kids-boys-only-programs?utm_content=buffer109a9&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

So the Boy Scouts have started letting girls in. Too bad.

black dog

Free America
We have a Baydon Powell ? Scout Troop that uses the Conservation Club I belong to.
I believe they are coed.

littlelady

God bless the USA
We have a Baydon Powell ? Scout Troop that uses the Conservation Club I belong to.
I believe they are coed.

I don't know how I feel about this whole BS Boy Scout transgender thing. But, I did want to say that my father was so into Scouts that he was a leader for years, and my bros were Eagle Scouts; Philmont, world wide jamborees, etc. I am the proud recipient of a piece of slate from the roof of Baden-Powell's house in England that my father was given as a recognition award. My father is gone, but he said I should have it. Very special. I was a Girl Scout for many years. The fact that there are coed scout groups, now, might make it ok that transgenders are allowed. We will just have to see how that goes.

Last edited:

This_person

I don't know how I feel about this whole BS Boy Scout transgender thing. But, I did want to say that my father was so into Scouts that he was a leader for years, and my bros were Eagle Scouts; Philmont, world wide jamborees, etc. I am the proud recipient of a piece of slate from the roof of Baden-Powell's house in England that my father was given as a recognition award. My father is gone, but he said I should have it. Very special. I was a Girl Scout for many years. The fact that there are coed scout groups, now, might make it ok that transgenders are allowed. We will just have to see how that goes.

If this private organization wants to do something, they certainly have the right.

Calling them Boy Scouts when they let girls in (regardless of what the girl feels like she is) kind of seems silly instead of just calling them The Scouts, but they are a private organization and can do that. The Democrat Party calls themselves that when they are anything but in how they conduct their own business. The Moose Lodge is not full of Moose, but human beings. So, I guess they have that right. Just seems silly to me.

littlelady

God bless the USA
If this private organization wants to do something, they certainly have the right.

Calling them Boy Scouts when they let girls in (regardless of what the girl feels like she is) kind of seems silly instead of just calling them The Scouts, but they are a private organization and can do that. The Democrat Party calls themselves that when they are anything but in how they conduct their own business. The Moose Lodge is not full of Moose, but human beings. So, I guess they have that right. Just seems silly to me.

You made me laugh. Moose Lodge! :lol: Anyway, I agree. It is silly. It seems if all this crap continues to go on, there will be no identity regarding people/groups. Will that make us all eunuchs, robots, the walking dead, or what?

So, they are going to change their name to Trans Scouts of America?

It sounds good in a globalist/no borders sort of way. :lol:

I have to go babysit my incredible granddot, now. It has been fun, y'all. I wish you both a great day! :smile:

Last edited:

Hijinx

You made me laugh. Moose Lodge! :lol: Anyway, I agree. It is silly. It seems if all this crap continues to go on, there will be no identity regarding people/groups. Will that make us all eunuchs, robots, the walking dead, or what?

It sounds good in a globalist/no borders sort of way. :lol:

I have to go babysit my incredible granddot, now. It has been fun, y'all. I wish you both a great day! :smile:

Just another tradition shot to ####. Liberals hate traditions.

Clem72

When I was a young man our Sea Explorers ship (now Sea Scouts) had girls, and it was never an issue. We didn't do "girly" things, and the only time it was ever even apparent was when we would sleep in separate dorms during a regatta. Baden Powell himself endorsed female scouting troops.

From a letter he penned in 1908, before the creation of Girl Guides.
You can work on just the same lines as the boys, and so need not do much more dusting and sewing than they, although a little of both are often necessary for a scout.

Boy Scouts are different from Girl Scouts because they teach differing skills and have a different purpose. No reason a girl may not be more interested in Boy Scouting program.

But perhaps a name change to just "Scouts" would be appropriate in that case to keep from confusing people, but keeping the name for historical sake shouldn't be an issue either.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
this is not about 'girls' and scouting - but confused children who think they are the opposite gender