Psychosis regarding fictional characters

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
This is nothing new - we've always been a nation of braindeads.

After the Dick Van Dyke Show was done in 1966, Dick Van Dyke started a new sitcom about family life. This was met with hate mail and death threats. Why? Because fans (which is short for "fanatics", btw) were outraged that Dick would cheat on Laura.

Similar thing happened when the Mary Tyler Moore show was being created. She was originally going to be a divorcee, but test audiences threw a fit that she would divorce a nice guy like Rob Petrie.

The guy who played Wayne Arnold on Wonder Years tells the story of being physically attacked by a guy in a bar.....for being so mean to Kevin on the show.

Susan Lucci has gotten numerous death threats over the years because her character on All My Children was so manipulative and treacherous.

When Luke and Laura got married, fans sent wedding presents to the network.

When Rachel and Ross' daughter was born, fans sent baby presents.

I see it on FB and Buzzfeed every day: crazies who can't separate an actor's character from reality. It fascinates me because these people presumably hold a job and have a real life, yet they are so wrapped up in a fantasy that they react to it as if it's real. That's some mentally ill #### right there, but it's situational. I have a friend who is sane, rational, and responsible, yet he got a bit hot insisting that Drew Carey would *never* raise his son to behave like that. When asked why he thought that, it boiled down to he likes Drew and thinks he's funny, therefore cannot conceive of him being less than perfect.

It's not even celebrity worship, it's flat out psychotic fantasy immersion. Fiction authors get mail all the time from people who refer to a character as if they're real. Crazies send them all kinds of crap "to give to" their character and make suggestions as to what this one or that one should do about their dilemma. They propose marriage....to fictional characters.

The human mind is fascinating.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
Just look at the boy......he thinks Soros is a god........

Attachments

• IMG_0330.jpg
    IMG_0330.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 268

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces

After the Dick Van Dyke Show was done in 1966, Dick Van Dyke started a new sitcom about family life. This was met with hate mail and death threats. Why? Because fans (which is short for "fanatics", btw) were outraged that Dick would cheat on Laura.

Similar thing happened when the Mary Tyler Moore show was being created. She was originally going to be a divorcee, but test audiences threw a fit that she would divorce a nice guy like Rob Petrie.

The guy who played Wayne Arnold on Wonder Years tells the story of being physically attacked by a guy in a bar.....for being so mean to Kevin on the show.

Susan Lucci has gotten numerous death threats over the years because her character on All My Children was so manipulative and treacherous.

I see it on FB and Buzzfeed every day: crazies who can't separate an actor's character from reality. It fascinates me because these people presumably hold a job and have a real life, yet they are so wrapped up in a fantasy that they react to it as if it's real. That's some mentally ill #### right there, but it's situational. I have a friend who is sane, rational, and responsible, yet he got a bit hot insisting that Drew Carey would *never* raise his son to behave like that. When asked why he thought that, it boiled down to he likes Drew and thinks he's funny, therefore cannot conceive of him being less than perfect.

It's not even celebrity worship, it's flat out psychotic fantasy immersion. Fiction authors get mail all the time from people who refer to a character as if they're real. Crazies send them all kinds of crap "to give to" their character and make suggestions as to what this one or that one should do about their dilemma. They propose marriage....to fictional characters.

When I lived in VA about 20 years ago, the lady who cut my hair swore that she'd marry Fabio one day.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Stephen King covered this in 'Misery'

what a mind f*** of a movie ...

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member

Also remember, Luke was originally her rapist, so when she fell in love with him and they had they big grand wedding (I watched it :lol:) it was a weird thing. Who does that!?!

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member

To be fair, he had a face that looked like it needed hitting.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Well, I'd just like to remove myself from that category, and start a new one. I'm an "enthusiast".