Exodus 32 Celebration

seekeroftruth

Exodus 32:5 When Aaron saw this, he built an altar in front of the calf and announced, “Tomorrow there will be a festival to the Lord.” 6 So the next day the people rose early and sacrificed burnt offerings and presented fellowship offerings. Afterward they sat down to eat and drink and got up to indulge in revelry.

7 Then the Lord said to Moses, “Go down, because your people, whom you brought up out of Egypt, have become corrupt. 8 They have been quick to turn away from what I commanded them and have made themselves an idol cast in the shape of a calf. They have bowed down to it and sacrificed to it and have said, ‘These are your gods, Israel, who brought you up out of Egypt.’

9 “I have seen these people,” the Lord said to Moses, “and they are a stiff-necked people. 10 Now leave me alone so that my anger may burn against them and that I may destroy them. Then I will make you into a great nation.”​

Everyone seems to see just how stupid the Israelites are when they read these verses. Even my first grade Sunday School Class would see that making a calf out of metal and worshiping it was not what God wanted us to do. Please remember, these people had been raised with little idols all around them. The Egyptians had a god for everything. As a matter of fact the Egyptians said their Pharaoh was god himself. Remember that? So this is just the Israelites doing what so many accuse the current day church of.... they were acting according to the way they were raised.

Have you ever heard one parent say to the other, "Your son" or "Your daughter" did such in such.... as if it wasn't naturally possible that they could have created or raised a child that did such in such because it was so stupid or bad?

Have you ever had a child, your son, your daughter, brother or sister, niece or nephew, paint in poop? Oh it makes you want to run away and hide.

Have you ever been so angry with someone that you just have to walk away because if you stay it will be dangerous for them?

That's how I see these 2+million stupid people. They are like babies who need everything explained to them in baby language. They need to have there hands smacked a million times for reaching for the poop to smear it on the crib. They make big messes because they are dysfunctional. They need to learn to function with civility.

This is from the easy English commentary.

God did not call the Israelites ‘my’ people, but said ‘your’ people and ‘these’ people. The Israelites had not been loyal to God. So God was showing that they did not behave like his people now. The Israelites were proud with stiff necks. They were like animals that refused to work. People fastened wooden things round the animals’ necks to guide them in their work. But when the animals made their necks stiff, their masters could not guide them. And the Israelites always refused to obey God when he wanted to guide them. God said that he would kill all those people.

God sometimes compared the Israelite nation to a wife. The Israelites must not worship any other God. That would be like a bad wife. The bad wife left her husband and she had another man. Therefore, the punishment for the Israelites should be similar to the punishment that a bad wife received (Numbers 5:27). God said that Moses himself would become a great nation instead. God made that promise first to Abraham (Genesis 12:2). But now he said that he had changed his plans. Perhaps that promise tempted Moses. The Israelites were such difficult people. Perhaps he would be glad to give up his responsibility as God’s leader for them. But Moses was sorry for them.

:coffee: