Parks and Land area across from Chestnut Ridge community on Rt. 5

Jennalynn

There is a new parking area across from the Chestnut Ridge community, on Rt. 5 in Leonardtown (Redgate). It has brown signs (like a park), and even a board with info. I stopped to find out if it’s open to the public for walking our dogs, or for just going for a stroll, but I couldn’t found out what the rules are, or what the area is for… There are often cars and pickup trucks parked there, but I never see anyone. Anyone know? Thanks… :bubble:

officeguy

What does the sign say ?

Unfortunately the MD DNR website doesn't have a map with all the public lands on it. You have to know the name of the area before you can look up the map....
This could be a number of things. Could be owned by a conservancy and made available to the public. Could be a cooperative wildlife management area where the state leases a parcel of land and makes it available for the public. If you see pickups parked there, it's probably an area open to hunting and the thing you dont want to do is to let your dog run off leash.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Do you advocate letting a dog run in a WMA or other public hunting land ?

Oh hell no. If you've read any of the previous threads on the subject that went nuclear, you know where I stand.

"... and never the twain shall meet." Hence, the dead horse/

Chris0nllyn

There's a 716 acre parcel of land across from Chestnut Ridge that DNR owns for public hunting. Other than that, SMECO owns a small (4 acre) parcel across from Redgate Rd.
http://mdpgis.mdp.state.md.us/finderonlinejs/pi/index.html

Officeguy is correct that it's public hunting land (Salem State Forest)
http://dnr.maryland.gov/wildlife/Documents/Salem_State_Forest_Hunting_Map.pdf

This time of year, you'd probably be okay as deer season is over and it's only squirrel and rabbit (among other things) season. It's always advisable to wear bright colors and keep your dog on a leash on public land.

However, you can't hunt public land on Sundays, so if you want to go out, that's the best time.

That brown board should have a map of the area and trails marked (if available).

Last edited:

officeguy

Oh hell no. If you've read any of the previous threads on the subject that went nuclear, you know where I stand.

"... and never the twain shall meet." Hence, the dead horse/

Ah, ok. The OP may not have read the 'amish guy shoots rangers dog' thread and not be familiar with the history here.

For the OP: If this is DNR administered land open to hunting, you are typically free to use it for other recreational pursuits like hiking, collecting psychedelic mushrooms, metal detecting etc. It is a good idea to familiarize yourself with the different seasons for hunting in the state. Southern MD has an extended deer season (because we have so damn many of them) so you may encounter particularly bow-hunters at times outside of the traditional 'deer season' in early december. Having your dog off-leash in a hunting area is a bad idea for two reasons:
- a hunter may accidentally shoot your dog because he mistakes it for a legal game animal
- some deer hunters are mouth-breathing idiots who think they can shoot any off-leash dog on public land
- if your dog is seen to chase deer, you may end up with a stack of tickets from NRP for interefering with lawful hunt, chasing wildlife etc.

But yes, DNR administered land (wildlife management areas, cooperative wildlife management areas, state forests etc.) are open to the public. Just be considerate to other users.

Edit: Looks like someone found the correct name. Salem State Forest.

Last edited:

Jennalynn

Just wanted to follow-up. I took a long walk with my dogs on the main trail on Saturday afternoon. It was great! Wide open road. A little hilly. There are even work-arounds and some small board bridges in the low areas where it’s boggy/wet. Looking forward to going back.