Weis's rant

keekee

I haven't been happy with the new Weis's stores.
First of all, I don't like all of the price gimmicks.
I want to buy what I need at a fair price, and I don't want to do math at each item to figure out the actual price.
Maybe 4 for $5, or 3 for $5, or 8 for $10 is a good deal, but just tell me the fricking price.
And maybe I want one, but I don't need 5.
And there's the Pick 5 thing. Again, I don't want to search the store for 5 things that qualify, in order to get a better price.
So I keep coming home from the store with 4 of this, and 5 of that... because I want the best price available to me.
... so I find myself playing the game.

Today was the grand finale - I'm not going back.
After getting home and studying my ridiculously long receipt (another weird thing about this store).
I bought 4 fajita spice packs for $5. But I paid $5.56, not to mention I didn't need 4 packs!
I bought 2 packs of hamburger patties from the fresh meat section that were clearly marked on sale for around $5.50 each.
I actually paid over $8.00 each, with a 15 cent discount on each pack. WTF???

My husband told me to take the burgers back just on the principle of it.
But I'm keeping my $8.00 packs of burgers, and not going back.

Not to mention, they are over-priced on most things that I usually buy.

Grrrr..... I really wanted to like this store.

imaref

No matter where I get my groceries, I always pull my cart off to the side after I'm done checking out and look over my receipt. 9 times out of 10 there is an error (in my favor) and I step over to customer service counter and get paid cash back for the error. Computers (scanners) are wonderful things, but they often times are not updated (or are incorrectly updated) with sales prices.

Also, if I'm buying something at a home improvement store or electronics store, when I get out to the car I always open up the box to make sure everything that's supposed to be in the box is there. Doesn't happen as often, but I did buy an electronics component that was missing the power cord. Took it right back in the store and they exchanged the whole thing for a new one.

Nothing worse than finding out there is a problem AFTER getting home.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Weis sucks. If they were out in the middle of nowhere and the only game in town, they would still suck and I'd make the drive to a real grocery store.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
My wife hates me.

I go into the store get what I want and leave.

I get home and the wife asks me how much I spent.
My answer, hell if I know.
I never look at prices for groceries.

tipsymcgee

I can get by with any grocery store because we are a fairly basic grocery buying family, but I find it a little odd they have generic Weis brands of some things but not others, like frozen veggies for instance.

littlelady

God bless the USA
I always heard good things about Weis, but have never shopped in one. Right when we moved from Calvert last fall is when the FoodLion in PF changed to a Weis, so never went there. I gave up FL a long time ago and exclusively shopped at Giant. I live in Mont Cty now. The crazy thing is where I am in Olney, the shopping mecca has a Giant, Safeway, Shoppers, and Harris Teeter all in the same complex. How do they all stay in biz?

Hank

my war
I always heard good things about Weis, but have never shopped in one. Right when we moved from Calvert last fall is when the FoodLion in PF changed to a Weis, so never went there. I gave up FL a long time ago and exclusively shopped at Giant. I live in Mont Cty now. The crazy thing is where I am in Olney, the shopping mecca has a Giant, Safeway, Shoppers, and Harris Teeter all in the same complex. How do they all stay in biz?

Wait.... You moved?

littlelady

God bless the USA
No matter where I get my groceries, I always pull my cart off to the side after I'm done checking out and look over my receipt. 9 times out of 10 there is an error (in my favor) and I step over to customer service counter and get paid cash back for the error. Computers (scanners) are wonderful things, but they often times are not updated (or are incorrectly updated) with sales prices.

Also, if I'm buying something at a home improvement store or electronics store, when I get out to the car I always open up the box to make sure everything that's supposed to be in the box is there. Doesn't happen as often, but I did buy an electronics component that was missing the power cord. Took it right back in the store and they exchanged the whole thing for a new one.

Nothing worse than finding out there is a problem AFTER getting home.

I do the same. Life is complicated enough without grocery stores not keeping up with their pricing of products. Also, I would say half the time I check the receipt, there is something wrong. And, off to Customer Service I go. I don't care if they hate me. :lol: I spend a lot of money in the grocery store. They can get over it!

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
I'm just remembering how orgasmic some of you were when Weis announced it was taking over some of the old Food Lions. Almost as much as when y'all celebrate another national chain restaurant opening up.

mitzi

I had a similiar problem with Weiss. The two times I went, I was charged full price on some sale items. I'm not going back plus it's out of my way. I'm glad the Food Lion in Leonardtown didn't change. They aren't always the best in the meat department, but overall their prices are good. Always the sale items ring up as they should.

Goldenhawk

I had a similiar problem with Weiss. The two times I went, I was charged full price on some sale items. I'm not going back plus it's out of my way. I'm glad the Food Lion in Leonardtown didn't change. They aren't always the best in the meat department, but overall their prices are good. Always the sale items ring up as they should.

Sales prices not ringing up... were they "when you use your Weis card" sales? Did you use it? Did you check to see if the discount was applied at the end, not on the same line on the receipt?

mitzi

Sales prices not ringing up... were they "when you use your Weis card" sales? Did you use it? Did you check to see if the discount was applied at the end, not on the same line on the receipt?

Yes I used the card and went over the receipt. Discounts were not there. Not on every item but a few.

keekee

In my case, Yes I did use my Weis card, and Yes I did check the entire receipt for the discounts. I didn't have a ton of stuff, so it was pretty obvious.
I check my grocery receipts periodically, but not when I get a whole cartload - it's too much effort.
So I check it when I have a smaller amount of items, and take comfort in finding it correct.
I rarely have a problem on my grocery receipt, so three in one small trip is not very comforting.

edreedisgod20

Yeah, Weis is terrible. We would go to Food Lion (PF) so we just continued when Weis took over, but there is no comparison. I'm at a point in my life where I care more about price than quality so Food Lion was fine for me, but Weis is both more expensive and of lesser quality (in my opinion). I have started going to Giant and haven't looked back.

The only time to go to Weis is when their meats are about to reach their sell by date and they put those $2-$3 off coupons on them. If I lived closer to Aldi I don't think I'd even do that.

The only time to go to Weis is when their meats are about to reach their sell by date and they put those $2-$3 off coupons on them.

Weis is no bargain for just about everything, but they do have one or two things I can't seem to find anywhere else. The one thing I do go to Weis for is the ground beef. It's fresh ground in-store, is not packaged with the carbon monoxide packaging, is fresh and actually tastes like ground beef. I buy the huge package and divide it up for vacuum freezing.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
I go to Giant for my weekly grocery shopping but will stop into a Weis if I need a few items during the week that I forgot to get on my normal Saturday shopping day. Like DoWhat, I get what I need, pay and leave. I don't look at prices and compare nor do I look at my receipt. I do find it interesting that the gas rewards for Weis is for Sheetz when there isn't one in Calvert. At least with Giant, you can save on gas at their gas station in the parking lot or at Shell stations.

SamSpade

I went to the one that used to be Food Lion near the used to be K-Mart, just to see what it was like.

It really doesn't look ANY different to me than when it was Food Lion. If there was ANY difference at all, I didn't see it.

Don't intend to go back.