Greetings from Sarasota!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Straight, I didn't think I'd like Florida. After being out west, I thought it would be too....I don't know, not west. I thought it would be disappointing. But when I was younger I had this idea that I'd retire and go native, buy a little sh*t shack in the Keys and braid hair or whatever to earn beer money. As I got older and life got in the way, that thought went away. But it's back now. Not the braiding hair part, although that's still an option, but the sh*t shack Margaritaville part.

There are little dinosaurs here. Technically they're anoles, and they run amok, but they look like tiny dinos. I was apprehensive about the critter life and thought I wouldn't like that, but they're cute and friendly. They look like they should be, I don't know, selling car insurance or something.

Tonight we found a tiki bar on the water, with a combo band and pretty good chow. It was stressful driving from Orlando to Sarasota, so I was prepared to hate this place and want it to die, but a couple of Johnny Cash songs, a Chicago dog, and a few ciders and I was good to go. There's never a whole lot wrong with me that a good dog drug through the garden won't fix.

Old people get a bad rap here. And there are a sh*t TON of old people. They don't call this state "God's waiting room" for nothing. And the old people do drive like crap BUT it's the impatient young people who are the real hazard. They get bent and zip around in a fit of rage because the old people DARE to drive less than 20 mph over the speed limit. The seniors are predictable and therefore easy to work around; the yoots on the other hand need to be tased.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The best part about this lifestyle, besides seeing old friends who've moved, or I moved, is that I can be wherever I want to be. I say I want to get all Carl Hiaasen, but I wanted to go cowboy when I was in Cody. Rather than hit and run, I like to spend some time in a place and get to know it. Appreciate it. Be a part of it. Live there. We do weeks here and there, but we try to do a month when we can because that's how you get the real feel.

This is the most amazing country, it really is.

littlelady

God bless the USA
The best part about this lifestyle, besides seeing old friends who've moved, or I moved, is that I can be wherever I want to be. I say I want to get all Carl Hiaasen, but I wanted to go cowboy when I was in Cody. Rather than hit and run, I like to spend some time in a place and get to know it. Appreciate it. Be a part of it. Live there. We do weeks here and there, but we try to do a month when we can because that's how you get the real feel.

This is the most amazing country, it really is.

You are an amazing writer. I have said that before as a member here. You should do something with that talent. I consider myself a homebody and perfectly happy. I have seen my share of the country and the world, but you make me want to hit the road again, and see it all. :lol:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I've said as often as possible: if you are not in Maryland, don't get the crabcake. ESPECIALLY if it's called a "Maryland Crabcake". It will be revolting, with shredded crap meat and tons of filler, including celery and green pepper (who freaking does that???).

Tonight we found the exception to that rule. 2A actually found it and directed us there tonight: Nokomis Crabhouse, about a half hour south of Sarasota. We had steamed crabs that rival any I've had in Maryland, which I did not think possible, and an amazing crabcake that is what Stoney's used to be before they started cheaping out and got crappy.

I wasn't going to pick crabs because I'm like, I didn't come to Florida to do what I could have stayed home for. But these were stellar. Properly steamed, loaded with Old Bay, and heavy. No idea where they got them from, but they were firm and sweet.

Who knew?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
DSCN2463.jpg

DSCN2470.jpg

DSCN2504.jpg

DSCN2516.jpg

The last one is our backyard :biggrin:

littlelady

God bless the USA
I hate you! :lol: What a wonderful adventure! Good for you, and thanks for giving us all the play by plays. There is nothing wrong with living vicariously. I have too much going on to just take off. :smile:

Thanks for giving the forum a view of our country. I have been here and there (USA and abroad), but nothing like y'all are doing.

Last edited:

belvak

Happy Camper
I'm having a great time following you guys here and on Facebook! Maybe some day Hubby and I can follow in your foot steps! Keep the updates and pictures coming!!!

acommondisaster

For me, Florida has a rotting vegetation smell. I remember getting a whiff of it and saying to myself that any time I thought I liked it there (3 years in Homestead), I should remind myself that it stinks. It worked. It's too humid there for me. There are too many "palmetto bugs". And it smells. 3 days of vacation, sure. The last years of my life, nyet.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
For me, Florida has a rotting vegetation smell. I remember getting a whiff of it and saying to myself that any time I thought I liked it there (3 years in Homestead), I should remind myself that it stinks. It worked. It's too humid there for me. There are too many "palmetto bugs". And it smells. 3 days of vacation, sure. The last years of my life, nyet.

Florida definitely has an odor, so far everywhere we've gone in the state. Monello says it's the low tide smell but I still couldn't place it....until you just said "rotting vegetation". That's exactly what it is. I don't find it offensive and it's not terribly pervasive, sometimes stronger than others but mostly just a low level odor.

Yesterday we went to Treasure Island, which is beach but no walking part of town. Then we tooled around Tampa for a bit, and back to Ybor City for dinner and alcohol. Today we're going to the rodeo in Arcadia, then meeting 2A and Sharon for dinner in Venice.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member

Well, a month here, and a week there around the state during these mild months of the year are hardly the last years of their life. :jet:

Sarasota and other locales around and about Tampa Bay are positively beautiful. I have never been to the west coast of Florida before. The places I've seen are really gorgeous.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Sarasota and other locales around and about Tampa Bay are positively beautiful. I have never been to the west coast of Florida before. The places I've seen are really gorgeous.

They are. It's not, WOW! breathtaking like out west, but more of a laid back get you a drink and chill out beauty. I used to be like, why are all the old people flocking to Florida for the winter, good grief. Now I understand. It's amusing to become what you used to mock. :lol:

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Florida definitely has an odor, so far everywhere we've gone in the state. Monello says it's the low tide smell but I still couldn't place it....until you just said "rotting vegetation". That's exactly what it is. I don't find it offensive and it's not terribly pervasive, sometimes stronger than others but mostly just a low level odor.

Yesterday we went to Treasure Island, which is beach but no walking part of town. Then we tooled around Tampa for a bit, and back to Ybor City for dinner and alcohol. Today we're going to the rodeo in Arcadia, then meeting 2A and Sharon for dinner in Venice.

You'll have to point that out to me today if it's prevalent to you - I've never noticed it. Even when Iived here (well, in Clay County-neighboring Jacksonville). Maybe that's why my sinuses are going nuts down here this time. :ohwell:

acommondisaster

Two things will change in you that may change your mind; as you age, you'll be cold all the time and your sense of smell will decline. :lol:

Except I made sure we bought a place to retire in the Poconos. (purposely to avoid Florida) We may decide to spend 3 months of the year someplace warmer, but I'm not sure it'll be Florida.

acommondisaster

Well, a month here, and a week there around the state during these mild months of the year are hardly the last years of their life. :jet:

Gulf coast is amazing. If you can ever get down to Naples/Sanibel and Captiva Island you'll never want to leave. It's been years since I've been to Ft Meyers Beach, but that was very nice, too.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Lots of Amish & Mennonite down this way. I was surprised to see them so visible here. Local restaurant claims there is a population of 3K and it doubles during tourist season.

DSCN2573.jpg

DSCN2578.jpg

DSCN2575.jpg

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Did y'all eat at the restaurant? I just sneaked a peek at the menu. :yum:

Yes, and it was very good. I had fried chicken (of course); Monello and Randy had the beef noodles. They offer half portions, which is a good thing because the regular size is YOOOGE, and they have like 8 million different kinds of pie.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Driving here is a bit of a challenge. Lots of lights on the main roads. Add in an older population plus a few random bicycles and now a short commute takes quite a long time.