Local Home Foreclosures

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
How do you find local home foreclosures going up for auction?
Do you have to be a licensed real-estate person or can local Joe show up and bid?
Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Google searches require signing up to get the info.
There has to be another way.

black dog

Free America
Aren't foreclosures advertised in the paper and sold on the Courthouse steps?

I bought a HUD foreclosure a few years ago, I found the one I wanted to bid on while looking at HUDs website along with Zillows website, And a local realtor but the bid in for me.
We settled less than 30 days after I won the auction. It was the easiest home I have ever bought.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member

I bought a HUD foreclosure a few years ago, I found the one I wanted to bid on while looking at HUDs website along with Zillows website, And a local realtor but the bid in for me.
We settled less than 30 days after I won the auction. It was the easiest home I have ever bought.
Did you have to pay commission fee to the realtor?
I am trying to avoid commissions.

officeguy

Did you have cash for the home or did you use a mortgage? Was there any issue with unsatisfied liens (utilities, HOA etc. ?)

black dog

Free America
Did you have to pay commission fee to the realtor?
I am trying to avoid commissions.

All realtor fees were paid for out of the auction selling price.
I bid $ 9,025 dollars on a home that they said was worth $ 9,000 dollars.
Both the listing and selling Realtors recieved a $ 1,200 check at settlement from that
$ 9,025 dollars.
I had to pay almost 10,000 dollars total with all settlement charges, taxes, fees, attorney, title and so on.
The home had a mortgage of $ 64,000 before it was forclosed on.
These settlement dollars are what I remember, if you would like the actual numbers I can dig out the settlement folder tomorrow.

black dog

Free America
Did you have cash for the home or did you use a mortgage? Was there any issue with unsatisfied liens (utilities, HOA etc. ?)

I settled with cash, I do believe if you finance you need to have certain things in place before bidding. Also alot of forclosed homes will not meet the standards to put a mortgage on them at the time you buy them.
A search from a title company is done like buying any other home.
I had a water / sewer bill that held me up for a week, the bill was 62 bucks. I just went and paid the bill myself to expedite settlement. Months after settlement HUD sent me a check because the numbers were not right on their paperwork.

Buying from HUD really was super easy. The whole process was easy and fast. Settlement took all of ten minutes.
Kind of shocking when dealing with the Federal Government.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
All realtor fees were paid for out of the auction selling price.
I bid $ 9,025 dollars on a home that they said was worth $ 9,000 dollars.
Both the listing and selling Realtors recieved a $ 1,200 check at settlement from that
$ 9,025 dollars.
I had to pay almost 10,000 dollars total with all settlement charges, taxes, fees, attorney, title and so on.
The home had a mortgage of $ 64,000 before it was forclosed on.
These settlement dollars are what I remember, if you would like the actual numbers I can dig out the settlement folder tomorrow.
Do you have any good info on local tax sale auctions?

black dog

Free America
I found this on the HUD website:

And that's why I used a Realtor, a friend had used this realtor many times before.
My friend got a 100 dollar spiff for getting me as a new client. We went out to dinner with it.
It's not like you write a separate check to the realtor or realtors involved.
I'm a firm believer that using a well versed realtor is money well spent.

black dog

Free America
Thanks.
I guess I am looking for that hidden gem, that nobody else knows about.

You might find a hidden gem, if it's a private mortgage company holding the note.
And you are booked up with the note holder.
But odds are the hidden gem is getting the winning bid for a fair price at a auction.

Also look into VA foreclosures.
I'm sure there are still some good deals to be found, but you should have hopped on that train at least 4 years ago. Homes that were selling for under 20 thou out here a few years ago are back up to 50 to 75 thousand and sometimes depending on neighborhood easily more.

I also bought a HUD foreclosure at auction. Like you said, it wasn't terribly difficult. There were some more gotchas though than buying a property as-is. As in they made me, the buyer, pay for septic inspection, railing for the stairs, etc. Things that clearly would be a sellers responsibility on a normal sale.

glhs837

Power with Control
Yeah, hidden gems pretty tough to find. The people who make money doing this are pretty networked.

Goldenhawk

I attended a few "courthouse steps" foreclosure auctions a couple years ago, hoping (like you) for a sweet deal. I was deeply disappointed in the process each time. Basically, it seems like the banks are required to offer the houses at auction - but they're also allowed to set the minimum bid so high that effectively they eliminate any chance it will actually sell. In essence, the bank ends up buying the properties at those inflated values themselves (and since they're paying themselves, they have no incentive to actually lower the price). Then they put them right on the market starting at those ridiculous prices, eventually (over 6-12 months) ratcheting the price down until they're actually worth buying.

On the other hand, I have NOT attended any tax auctions, where banks are not involved. Those are probably much better for finding good deals. But I've read there are some hidden costs and possibilities to be hit with unforeseen fees and payments and penalties.

In either case, be aware you're going up against a raft of hard-core investors with plenty of cash and a keen eye for real value. At each auction, there were several "regulars" ready to pounce on any good deal. There's a solid market for such properties right now, and the pros are ready, willing, and able to grab them. Forget whatever you see on "Flip or Flop" - the reality is nothing like those shows.

glhs837

Power with Control
I attended a few "courthouse steps" foreclosure auctions a couple years ago, hoping (like you) for a sweet deal. I was deeply disappointed in the process each time. Basically, it seems like the banks are required to offer the houses at auction - but they're also allowed to set the minimum bid so high that effectively they eliminate any chance it will actually sell. In essence, the bank ends up buying the properties at those inflated values themselves (and since they're paying themselves, they have no incentive to actually lower the price). Then they put them right on the market starting at those ridiculous prices, eventually (over 6-12 months) ratcheting the price down until they're actually worth buying.
On the other hand, I have NOT attended any tax auctions, where banks are not involved. Those are probably much better for finding good deals. But I've read there are some hidden costs and possibilities to be hit with unforeseen fees and payments and penalties.

In either case, be aware you're going up against a raft of hard-core investors with plenty of cash and a keen eye for real value. At each auction, there were several "regulars" ready to pounce on any good deal. There's a solid market for such properties right now, and the pros are ready, willing, and able to grab them. Forget whatever you see on "Flip or Flop" - the reality is nothing like those shows.

This is what happened with my house, suspect the lady who bought it in 2007 still owed over 360K out of the 390K she had purchased the house in for when it got foreclosed on in 2011. Shockingly, the home sale of dietary supplements didn't support the 390K note. They started the offering at 340. I started 20K lower, they refused to counter, just rejected it, then a month later they dropped it by 20K to 320K, so I offered 20K less than that. Rejected again. then 30 days after that, they dropped it anther 20K to 300K, I offered less again, no luck, I gave up, as it was getting more water damage from the bad roof and then a month after that they dropped it another 20K and we struck a deal.

officeguy

Thanks.
I guess I am looking for that hidden gem, that nobody else knows about.

There is an entire industry of investors who do nothing but buy tax liens or foreclosures, spend whatever it takes to return them to marketability and re-sell them at a decent profit. Between that and the insider dealing at the banks, as the casual investor you have lots of highly qualified competition.

There is an entire industry of investors who do nothing but buy tax liens or foreclosures, spend whatever it takes to return them to marketability and re-sell them at a decent profit. Between that and the insider dealing at the banks, as the casual investor you have lots of highly qualified competition.

The hope might be that DoWhat could pay more than an investor would be willing to risk, while still getting the property for less than if he bought it full retail.

I.E. if the investor could get it for $50k, would need to sink 3 months and $50k into fixing it, with the hope of selling it for $150k and making $50k profit, maybe DoWhat could outbid said investor, buy it for $80k and live in it while fixing it up and providing much of the labor him/herself, and end up with a $150k house for less than $100k. Or something.

glhs837

Power with Control
The hope might be that DoWhat could pay more than an investor would be willing to risk, while still getting the property for less than if he bought it full retail.

I.E. if the investor could get it for $50k, would need to sink 3 months and $50k into fixing it, with the hope of selling it for $150k and making $50k profit, maybe DoWhat could outbid said investor, buy it for $80k and live in it while fixing it up and providing much of the labor him/herself, and end up with a $150k house for less than $100k. Or something.

which assumes that DWs time and effort have no cost......

which assumes that DWs time and effort have no cost......

Does it? Are you making an assumption that DW doesn't enjoy home improvement projects? Maybe DW is retired and their time and effort is cheaper than a day laborers. Maybe DW feels that they could contract out the work cheaper. Maybe DW has a ton of local family members that don't mind donating an hour or two of their time. Or maybe DW doesn't feel the house needs new quartz countertops and hardwood flooring to make it stand out for a quick sale, and instead would rather just fix whatever major issues the house might have.

All I am saying is that there is probably a decent amount of room between the price an investor needs to get on a property for it to be worth their while, and what a person who intends to own/live in that property can afford while still getting a good deal.