Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Patriots dynasty lacks HOFers

  1. #11
    I Need a Life b23hqb's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lurking in the background in flat, humid Fl
    Posts
    10,471
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gude View Post
    I mean, the problem truly is that a player doesn't stay around long.
    True that. The evolution of the money aspect of the game. Gastowski has a long way to go in surpassing Vinatieri. Vinnie just doesn't miss the xp like the Gast does, but he does very well overall. Just another casualty of the salary cap, of which the Patriots are exceptional at capitalizing on.

    The Gronk, with a few more good seasons, should be a lock. The NFL is still trying to figure out to stop him outside of injury.
    “The truth will set you free, but first it will make you miserable.” - President James A. Garfield

  2. #12
    Registered User Grumpy's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Loveville
    Posts
    1,762
    Just cuz I'm too lazy to start another FB tread..but found this funny and so damn true. Pressbox.com 16 Thoughts on the 2016 NFL Season

    11. There are Washington fans who don't think quarterback Kirk Cousins should get $24 million this season. In a story that may or may not be related, NBA center Ian Mahinmi is making $16 million from the Wizards this season and has played one game.

    For the sake of having good content for humor columns, I hope the Redskins don't sign Cousins. They've flirted with competence far too much in recent years.

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by b23hqb View Post
    The Gronk, with a few more good seasons, should be a lock. The NFL is still trying to figure out to stop him outside of injury.
    Case in point. He's not critical. He's expensive and he's hurt half the time and his trade value won't get any higher than right now.

    Will he be back next year if they can get some decent draft picks?
    ADHD; Interdisciplinary

  4. #14
    I Need a Life b23hqb's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lurking in the background in flat, humid Fl
    Posts
    10,471
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gude View Post
    Case in point. He's not critical. He's expensive and he's hurt half the time and his trade value won't get any higher than right now.

    Will he be back next year if they can get some decent draft picks?
    So it seems your criteria for this thread is that HOF players that do not play an entire career for, in this case the Patriots, and would not count towards that team's "dynasty" HOF requirements? That seemed to be the thrust of the OP - that the NE 2000-2010, and continuing teams have no HOF players. I would qualify any HOF player that played on a SB winning team at least one time - toward any SB "dynasty" for that team. Would you not?

    And, yes, the Gronk will be back next year, and the Patriots players know very well that no player is exempt from being cut or traded. Even Brady has said that if the price was right, he'd be traded.
    Last edited by b23hqb; 02-07-2017 at 05:02 PM.
    “The truth will set you free, but first it will make you miserable.” - President James A. Garfield

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by b23hqb View Post
    So it seems your criteria for this thread is that HOF players that do not play an entire career for, in this case the Patriots, and would not count towards that team's "dynasty" HOF requirements? That seemed to be the thrust of the OP - that the NE 2000-2010, and continuing teams have no HOF players. I would qualify any HOF player that played on a SB winning team at least one time - toward any SB "dynasty" for that team. Would you not?

    And, yes, the Gronk will be back next year, and the Patriots players know very well that no player is exempt from being cut or traded. Even Brady has said that if the price was right, he'd be traded.
    Well, how long of a career does a player need to warrant consideration? I think Gale Sayers had the shortest career at 6 years, IIRC? So, I dunno. Would we say you gotta have at least 6 years as a Pat to warrant being counted as theirs if you get there? I mean, Moss, Seau, they're going but not as Pats, right?
    ADHD; Interdisciplinary

  6. #16
    Registered User PeoplesElbow's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Smackdown hotel
    Posts
    4,887
    This also demonstrates the importance of greatness by association. Some players that are in the hall of fame simply became HOF players because those around them gave them a great career. With the constant churn of players that is much harder to do. There are Steelers from those 70's teams that I believe are more deserving than a couple that are in and are only excluded because of the imaginary "we already have too many from that team in" thinking.
    If what I say offends you then you really don't want to hear what I keep to myself.

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by PeoplesElbow View Post
    This also demonstrates the importance of greatness by association. Some players that are in the hall of fame simply became HOF players because those around them gave them a great career. With the constant churn of players that is much harder to do. There are Steelers from those 70's teams that I believe are more deserving than a couple that are in and are only excluded because of the imaginary "we already have too many from that team in" thinking.
    That knife cuts both ways. The guys who didn't make it helped the other guys get in. Ultimate team game in a lotta ways and, in that regard, individual honors can't help but have a lot of subjectivity to them. Tom Brady gets drafted by the Redskins, they win 5 Superbowls with him at the helm? Is he nearly as good? I think no. And that goes for a lot of people who are in.
    ADHD; Interdisciplinary

  8. #18
    I Need a Life b23hqb's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lurking in the background in flat, humid Fl
    Posts
    10,471
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gude View Post
    That knife cuts both ways. The guys who didn't make it helped the other guys get in. Ultimate team game in a lotta ways and, in that regard, individual honors can't help but have a lot of subjectivity to them. Tom Brady gets drafted by the Redskins, they win 5 Superbowls with him at the helm? Is he nearly as good? I think no. And that goes for a lot of people who are in.
    PE made a good statement. That's why I say any player that makes the HOF that plays on a SB winning team, (in the case of the thrust of this thread "Dynasty decade"), should be included in that teams roll call of HOF'ers for said decade. It doesn't matter to me which team that player chooses to represent in the Hall, that player earned his place on the SB team roster, and should be recognized as such.

    If a team chooses not to do so, so be it. In that case I feel that player made the right choice by not wearing those colors for his HOF team preference.

    A lot of good takes by all on this thread.
    Last edited by b23hqb; 02-08-2017 at 11:46 AM.
    “The truth will set you free, but first it will make you miserable.” - President James A. Garfield

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search:     Advanced Search
Search HELP

| Home | Help | Contact Us | About somd.com | Privacy | Advertising | Sponsors | Newsletter |

| What's New | What's Cool | Top Rated | Add A Link | Mod a Link |

| Announcements | Bookstore | Cafe | Calendar | Classifieds | Community |
| Culture | Dating | Dining | Education | Employment | Entertainment |
| Forums | Free E-Mail | Games | Gear! | Government | Guestbook | Health | Marketplace | Mortgage | News |
| Organizations | Photos | Real Estate | Relocation | Sports | Survey | Travel | Wiki | Weather | Worship |