Patriots dynasty lacks HOFers

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
When compared to other dynasties. No mention of the Redskins in the article as Gibbs won with different QBs.

cast.jpg

teams

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Makes you wonder how those QB's may have done were they not on teams loaded with talent. Puts Brady in a class of his own. From O line to the defense to running back, receivers, tight ends, when you just keep swapping out pretty much every other part and there is one constant, that's compelling to the case of him as best, ever. Of course, all the no names made a TON of plays so, they get credit, as well as the incredible coaching.

Then, that is also the reason I don't care about pro football as much as I used to; there isn't the time to develop attachment to various players and assistant coaches. Just Bill and Tom.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
So all those other dynasties needed all those "great " players to win their SB's.

The Patriots just seem to do it with good, decent team players.

Therefore, which "team" is better?

Also, the Patriots are still playing, or recently retired. Gotta wait at least five years after that, and for most, a lot longer, to get voted in. If playing on a SB winning team is important in voters minds (it is), then it should logically follow that a slew of these guys with multiple SB wins with NE should be eventually admitted.

I've been watch/observing/following pro football since 1963, and detested the Packers, loved the Steelers, admired the 49ers, detested those stinking Cowboys.

All those great players with their SB wins in those other decades have been surpassed by those run of the mill Patriots players. Poor, poor pitiful New England.:lmao:

Last edited:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
:yeahthat: Hard to get attached to a team that has 40-50% of their team turn over every year.

have to find a matrix that tracks from SB to SB win, the patriots that were carried over from the last win.. and how many carried over from the first to the most recent win.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Also, The Patriots are still playing, or recently retired. Gotta wait at least five years after that, and for most, a lot longer, to get voted in. All those great players and their SB wins in those other decades have been surpassed by those run of the mill Patriots. Poor, poor pitiful New England.:lmao:

Well, who would it be? Maybe Brusci? Harrison?

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Well, who would it be? Maybe Brusci? Harrison?

You're just talking about those already retired, right? Have to add Vinatieri, along with Butch Woolfolk. Bill Belichek, the owner Kraft, and of course Brady will follow shortly after their retirement status. I'll try and think of a few more.

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
You're just talking about those already retired, right? Have to add Vinatieri, along with Butch Woolfolk. Bill Belichek, the owner Kraft, and of course Brady will follow shortly after their retirement status. I'll try and think of a few more.

Bielichek goes without saying, as does Kraft and Brady. Gastkowski has long eclipsed Vinatieri. Does he go for one kick??? Woolfork, I dunno.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

I mean, the problem truly is that a player doesn't stay around long.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
I mean, the problem truly is that a player doesn't stay around long.

True that. The evolution of the money aspect of the game. Gastowski has a long way to go in surpassing Vinatieri. Vinnie just doesn't miss the xp like the Gast does, but he does very well overall. Just another casualty of the salary cap, of which the Patriots are exceptional at capitalizing on.

The Gronk, with a few more good seasons, should be a lock. The NFL is still trying to figure out to stop him outside of injury.

Grumpy

Just cuz I'm too lazy to start another FB tread..but found this funny and so damn true. Pressbox.com 16 Thoughts on the 2016 NFL Season

11. There are Washington fans who don't think quarterback Kirk Cousins should get $24 million this season. In a story that may or may not be related, NBA center Ian Mahinmi is making $16 million from the Wizards this season and has played one game.

For the sake of having good content for humor columns, I hope the Redskins don't sign Cousins. They've flirted with competence far too much in recent years.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
The Gronk, with a few more good seasons, should be a lock. The NFL is still trying to figure out to stop him outside of injury.

Case in point. He's not critical. He's expensive and he's hurt half the time and his trade value won't get any higher than right now.

Will he be back next year if they can get some decent draft picks?

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Case in point. He's not critical. He's expensive and he's hurt half the time and his trade value won't get any higher than right now.

Will he be back next year if they can get some decent draft picks?

So it seems your criteria for this thread is that HOF players that do not play an entire career for, in this case the Patriots, and would not count towards that team's "dynasty" HOF requirements? That seemed to be the thrust of the OP - that the NE 2000-2010, and continuing teams have no HOF players. I would qualify any HOF player that played on a SB winning team at least one time - toward any SB "dynasty" for that team. Would you not?

And, yes, the Gronk will be back next year, and the Patriots players know very well that no player is exempt from being cut or traded. Even Brady has said that if the price was right, he'd be traded.

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
So it seems your criteria for this thread is that HOF players that do not play an entire career for, in this case the Patriots, and would not count towards that team's "dynasty" HOF requirements? That seemed to be the thrust of the OP - that the NE 2000-2010, and continuing teams have no HOF players. I would qualify any HOF player that played on a SB winning team at least one time - toward any SB "dynasty" for that team. Would you not?

And, yes, the Gronk will be back next year, and the Patriots players know very well that no player is exempt from being cut or traded. Even Brady has said that if the price was right, he'd be traded.

Well, how long of a career does a player need to warrant consideration? I think Gale Sayers had the shortest career at 6 years, IIRC? So, I dunno. Would we say you gotta have at least 6 years as a Pat to warrant being counted as theirs if you get there? I mean, Moss, Seau, they're going but not as Pats, right?

PeoplesElbow

This also demonstrates the importance of greatness by association. Some players that are in the hall of fame simply became HOF players because those around them gave them a great career. With the constant churn of players that is much harder to do. There are Steelers from those 70's teams that I believe are more deserving than a couple that are in and are only excluded because of the imaginary "we already have too many from that team in" thinking.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
This also demonstrates the importance of greatness by association. Some players that are in the hall of fame simply became HOF players because those around them gave them a great career. With the constant churn of players that is much harder to do. There are Steelers from those 70's teams that I believe are more deserving than a couple that are in and are only excluded because of the imaginary "we already have too many from that team in" thinking.

That knife cuts both ways. The guys who didn't make it helped the other guys get in. Ultimate team game in a lotta ways and, in that regard, individual honors can't help but have a lot of subjectivity to them. Tom Brady gets drafted by the Redskins, they win 5 Superbowls with him at the helm? Is he nearly as good? I think no. And that goes for a lot of people who are in. :buddies:

b23hqb

PREMO Member
That knife cuts both ways. The guys who didn't make it helped the other guys get in. Ultimate team game in a lotta ways and, in that regard, individual honors can't help but have a lot of subjectivity to them. Tom Brady gets drafted by the Redskins, they win 5 Superbowls with him at the helm? Is he nearly as good? I think no. And that goes for a lot of people who are in. :buddies:

PE made a good statement. That's why I say any player that makes the HOF that plays on a SB winning team, (in the case of the thrust of this thread "Dynasty decade"), should be included in that teams roll call of HOF'ers for said decade. It doesn't matter to me which team that player chooses to represent in the Hall, that player earned his place on the SB team roster, and should be recognized as such.

If a team chooses not to do so, so be it. In that case I feel that player made the right choice by not wearing those colors for his HOF team preference.

A lot of good takes by all on this thread.:buddies:

Last edited: