Donating to Vintage Values in PF

calvcopf

Never again will I donate to Vintage Values in PF. If I am being nice enough to make a charitable donation to you, please do not bark orders at me as soon as I walk through the door. Very rude and unappreciative. There are many other charities that would be thankful to receive these donations and would even say "THANK YOU".

Last edited:

Forkian

I had the same experience. The workers there would rather you take your stuff someplace else so they don't have to mess with it.

Heard a woman tell them don't look a gift horse in the mouth. :lmao:

Last edited:

steppinthrax

I just drop it off at the donation boxes right around the Dunkirk Walmart or where-ever they have them.

Also it seems that no matter how many signs they put out there telling people not to drop things off, people drop things off there when they are closed. IDK.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Never again will I donate to Vintage Values in PF. If I am being nice enough to make a charitable donation to you, please do not bark orders at me as soon as I walk through the door. Very rude and unappreciative. There are many other charities that would be thankful to receive these donations and would even say "THANK YOU".

Don't want to make excuses for them, but I'd hate to do their job watching what people pass off as donations around here..

Go to St Michaels after their fund raising auction and see how much trash is donated that is now the responsibility of St Michaels to dispose of.. I would assume Vintage Values deals with the same thing.. Don't want to go the landfill?? Just drop it off there instead.. let them sort through my broken toys, dirty clothes, moth ridden sheets to find something they can sell..

I'm sure this person wasn't as snappy on her first day, but dealing with people in general wears on you.. and when you're trying to do good things, and constantly have to deal with people dropping off their trash... I'm sure the "I'm doing a good thing!!" smile disappears after a few days.

calvcopf

Don't want to make excuses for them, but I'd hate to do their job watching what people pass off as donations around here..

Go to St Michaels after their fund raising auction and see how much trash is donated that is now the responsibility of St Michaels to dispose of.. I would assume Vintage Values deals with the same thing.. Don't want to go the landfill?? Just drop it off there instead.. let them sort through my broken toys, dirty clothes, moth ridden sheets to find something they can sell..

I'm sure this person wasn't as snappy on her first day, but dealing with people in general wears on you.. and when you're trying to do good things, and constantly have to deal with people dropping off their trash... I'm sure the "I'm doing a good thing!!" smile disappears after a few days.

Look at all that they sell in their stores. Looks like people are donating enough re-sellable merchandise to keep them in business and they get it all for FREE. If they want to continue to get quality FREE items that they are making money on, then they should treat those that are supporting them with RESPECT.
It's not hard to smile and say "Thank you"!

glhs837

Power with Control
If the Calvert VV is the same as St Marys, "making money" is a bit of a stretch, seeing as they are a not-for-profit organization that employs and supports the developmentally disabled.

http://tcle.org/donations/

The Center for Life Enrichment is a not-for-profit organization providing services in St. Mary’s, Calvert, and Charles Counties. Volunteer help, as well as tax-deductible donations, are always welcome to ensure the success of the individuals supported by the Center.

glhs837

Power with Control
Well they sure aren't giving it away for free. So, they are making money on the items that are donated.

But either way. I will never again give them anything.

Yes, that money is spent for the programs they support, like jobs for developmentally disabled individuals, and home care, and other things. So it's not profit they are making. Me, I don't write off any place forever based one employee interaction, people are humans and have bad days, but certainly not charitable ones.

steppinthrax

There is also the concept that if you don't like doing your job or can't do your job proficient enough. You should either be fired or just quit.

That's like defending the FastFood worker for being nasty.

Clem72

Yes, that money is spent for the programs they support, like jobs for developmentally disabled individuals, and home care, and other things. So it's not profit they are making. Me, I don't write off any place forever based one employee interaction, people are humans and have bad days, but certainly not charitable ones.

The Center for Life Enrichment are probably better than most, but not for profits does not mean the company is not allowed to make a profit, only that it can't directly distribute the profit to "owners". It can be re-invested or as is often the case given as bonuses to employees (including the founders "not owners"), etc.

As for the Center for Life Enrichment, I'm sure most of it goes to a worthy cause. But I also heard lots of stories about how much went into the Bucci's pockets and up Jim Jr's nose.

3CATSAILOR

Good Point. I had the same experience with the California MD location. They could have handled their situation a little better - Their donations were literately to the roof at the time. It looks like they may get more than they can handle every now and then. And thus they have to vent at someone. That someone is apparently us.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member

I haven't read the whole tread, but I will. I just wanted to jump in here and say that many of the folks that work at Vintage Values have developmental disabilities. Some of those disabilities include Autism, or they could be on the Autism spectrum. They may have a brain injury. All of these types of neurological disabilities can make a person seem like they're rude when they are speaking, but it *could* be their tone. Their voice may be monotone or they talk too loud. They may also have social skills deficits. I'm not saying this IS the case, but you may not have been talking with a person who was " neuro-typical". They may have had a disability and you just didn't know it.

Just food for thought.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member

They do, indeed help support those programs AND they employ people, as well. Developmentally disabled people. Gainful employment, too. Which reduces the amount they would require from SSI, or SSA, for example

Restitution

I haven't read the whole tread, but I will. I just wanted to jump in here and say that many of the folks that work at Vintage Values have developmental disabilities. Some of those disabilities include Autism, or they could be on the Autism spectrum. They may have a brain injury. All of these types of neurological disabilities can make a person seem like they're rude when they are speaking, but it *could* be their tone. Their voice may be monotone or they talk too loud. They may also have social skills deficits. I'm not saying this IS the case, but you may not have been talking with a person who was " neuro-typical". They may have had a disability and you just didn't know it.

Just food for thought.

About 99% sure that they do not put clients into the "customer interface" positions that cannot handle it. Indeed, they do employ a great deal of disabled persons for which I think it is quite admirable however, most likely the person that the OP was talking to was not a member of TCLE or the likes.

luvmygdaughters

My husband is employed at TCLE, however, not in the VV capacity. It is a not for profit business. They re-invest any monies made, into programs for the disabled, physically and mentally. He has worked there for over 22 years and I can say with quite certainty, they do not give bonus's. The gentlemen who used to run the VV stores for TCLE was quite dedicated to the people who worked at those stores. He passed away last year. The people they employ would not be able to find employment elsewhere due to their disabilities. It gives them a purpose and helps with self confidence issues. I'm sorry you had a bad experience with one VV, please do not hold that one store as an example for the rest.

frannie

Had similar experience donating to SMILE in Lusby--brought in 2 boxes filled with clothing, books, various household goods...guy accepting donations asked, "are boxes sorted?? and I replied, "no, there are various items in each box..he rolled his eyes and said in a rude tone "I wish people would learn to put books in one box, clothing in another, and household in another..". I replied that I didn't have that many boxes to organize my items and I would donate somewhere else next time. I realize it takes time to sort through stuff, but what an attitude! Seems to be the norm around here when donating to places, and that is sad!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

I drop stuff off at Vintage Values all the time and I appreciate their lack of friendliness. The lady says, "Put it in the back!" and I do. End of interaction. Now, the last couple of times I dropped stuff off the young man doing the intake was mildly mentally disabled and he wanted to chat. And I couldn't even be curt with him because he was so nice. :lol:

Noooooo!!! I want the mean lady!!!!! She doesn't want to talk to me!!!!! :jameo: