Black Lives Matter Protesters Block Education Sec. DeVos From Entering DC Public School

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Black Lives Matter Protesters Block Education Sec. DeVos From Entering DC Public School [VIDEO]

The Alliance For Educational Justice claimed, “Today, families, residents and community leaders joined to block U.S. Department of Education Secretary Betsy DeVos from disrupting learning at Jefferson Academy.”

“Betsy DeVos has a track record of privatizing and undermining public schools that serve Black students for financial gain,” said Makia Green, an organizer with the Washington, DC chapter of Black Youth Project 100. “Today’s action made it clear: our community will do everything in our power to resist DeVos‘ destructive policies and her attacks on an entire generation of Black students.”

DeVos responded in a statement following the incident saying, ” I respect peaceful protest, and I will not be deterred in executing the mission of the Department of Education. No school door in America will be blocked from those seeking to help our nation’s school children.”

“Focusing on their students and families is at the heart of Jefferson Academy’s approach and that’s exactly what I believe is at the heart of providing an exceptional education,” she said in the statement.” I was honored to speak with Jefferson’s team about our shared commitment to strengthening public education.”

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2017/02/10/b...-devos-from-entering-d-c-public-school-video/

Hijinx

“Betsy DeVos has a track record of privatizing and undermining public schools that serve Black students for financial gain,” s

Where did Makla Green get this information? Did he make it up out of his own small mind?
If there is proof of it he should be able to prove it.
Leading people with BS fake news needs to stop.

SamSpade

Where did Makla Green get this information? Did he make it up out of his own small mind?
If there is proof of it he should be able to prove it.
Leading people with BS fake news needs to stop.

All I could find is that Devos is huge advocate for school choice. One article I read mentioned she has pointed to Milton Friedman's idea that ALL schools should be private and the government should issue vouchers for everyone - government funded but privately run - back in 1955. I guess it never caught on.

What surprises me most is, DC schools - as far as turning out students - is either worst in the nation or second (to Mississippi), year after year - yet spends substantially higher than the national average per pupil (national average about 10k, DC's about 30k).

However - the charter schools in DC have been good to outstanding.

I still don't know why people oppose them.

Hijinx

All I could find is that Devos is huge advocate for school choice. One article I read mentioned she has pointed to Milton Friedman's idea that ALL schools should be private and the government should issue vouchers for everyone - government funded but privately run - back in 1955. I guess it never caught on.

What surprises me most is, DC schools - as far as turning out students - is either worst in the nation or second (to Mississippi), year after year - yet spends substantially higher than the national average per pupil (national average about 10k, DC's about 30k).

However - the charter schools in DC have been good to outstanding.

I still don't know why people oppose them.

I understand why teachers oppose them.

All of the good students will go to Charter schools and they will be left with ---------what's left over.

SamSpade

All of the good students will go to Charter schools and they will be left with ---------what's left over.

The argument is - hey, let's fix the schools we have. But they don't. Year after year, they spend more and more.
And the schools aren't getting better.

And a generation of good students who would have benefited from a charter school - STILL don't get a good education.

The problem is, the good kids can't wait. They need good schools NOW. Decades pass "trying" to fix the existing schools.
And the answer to charter schools is - they all get crappy education, because we can't deal with the problem of having to teach the kids who would remain.

Hijinx

The argument is - hey, let's fix the schools we have. But they don't. Year after year, they spend more and more.
And the schools aren't getting better.

And a generation of good students who would have benefited from a charter school - STILL don't get a good education.

The problem is, the good kids can't wait. They need good schools NOW. Decades pass "trying" to fix the existing schools.
And the answer to charter schools is - they all get crappy education, because we can't deal with the problem of having to teach the kids who would remain.

I have an opinion. Give the principle the power to toss out ten students who are causing problems. Send them to reform school or Juvie, it doesn't matter which, and the rest will shape up fast enough.

SamSpade

I have an opinion. Give the principle the power to toss out ten students who are causing problems. Send them to reform school or Juvie, it doesn't matter which, and the rest will shape up fast enough.

Schools aren't failing the students because there's some problems with discipline. When DC schools can turn out students who graduate just 59% of the time and score the lowest in the nation - or second lowest - they're not learning.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka

That's the argument the unions use to campaign against charter schools, but it is specious at best. Most communities with charter schools have required that the charter schools not 'cherry pick' the better students. Lotteries are held to admission to many charters and anyone in the community can enter the lottery for a position.

acommondisaster

Where does public school money go? 30K per student must make for some great textbooks and lovely schools and top teachers. So why are there so many failing?

Hijinx

lots and lots of school admin positions.

Buildings, Tennis Courts, Swimming Pools ,Football fields, baseball diamonds,Basketball courts and seating,mens and womens locker rooms.
Computers by the dozens. Auditoriums,
More spent on sports than on education.
There is probably one teacher there with a file cabinet for the National Honor Society
Then there are the school buses.

glhs837

Power with Control
Hmm, so I look up DC school spending. And I see a 25K per student number reported in a lot of conservative sources, then a Post article that talks about the range of spending per school, but the highest number was 19K wit the lowest being 14K. Now, I'm no brilliant mind sort of math guy, but I cant see how that jives? Ah, then I see this....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michael-mcshane/dc-public-schools-grossly_b_1638663.html

When the U.S. Census Bureau released a report last week breaking down per pupil spending across the United States by school district, the spending figure for DCPS (the nation-leading over $18,000 per pupil per year) grabbed headlines both inside and outside the Beltway. Tipped off by a blog post by Andrew Coulson at the Cato Institute, I went digging through the report and similarly found that even the $18,000 figure was a huge under-reporting of the total spending per pupil in DCPS.

Table 15 (on pg. 31) in the report lists both the enrollment and the total expenditure of DCPS. The district enrolled 43,866 students at a total cost of $1.196 billion. Simply dividing one by the other yielded a true per pupil expenditure of $27,263.

SamSpade

Hmm, so I look up DC school spending. And I see a 25K per student number reported in a lot of conservative sources, then a Post article that talks about the range of spending per school, but the highest number was 19K wit the lowest being 14K. Now, I'm no brilliant mind sort of math guy, but I cant see how that jives? Ah, then I see this....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michael-mcshane/dc-public-schools-grossly_b_1638663.html

No matter HOW you work the math - it's STILL enormously expensive. For that amount of money, they could consider paying to send them all to Sidwell Friends (ok, not quite - but it's a lot). Most scenarios involving vouchers involve much lower payments than that amount per student. Conceptually, the school system might actually PROFIT from school choice.

STILL - when you spend 18-29k PER pupil - twice to three times the national average - you'd THINK they could turn out kids that at minimum did average. But they don't. They're typically last or next to last. And it's actually been this way for years. I remember the same discussions mentioned on the weekend talk shows back in the early days of the Clinton era.

And I don't have a clue where it goes, because at every turn we hear about sub-standard buildings, teachers underpaid in crowded classrooms. And kids who don't learn and a large portion dropping out. My *guess* would be, they pay a lot of staff to do very little, just as it is in DC city government. Because I don't see how else it can be used.