Bizarro World: Infant Overdoses on Methadone

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
The one thing that is not clear is whether the woman gave the infant the drug on purpose or if it was left out where the infant found it and swallowed it.

Police are not releasing the woman's name, which leads me to believe the latter, and if so, what purpose is served by charging her, other than the need to punish someone for a careless accident.

On Friday February 10[SUP]th[/SUP] the Maryland Department of Child Protective Services called the Calvert County Sheriff’s Office to report a child that appeared to have been poisoned. Detectives learned that on February 09[SUP]th[/SUP] a mother rushed a 1-year-old boy to Calvert Memorial Hospital. An investigation determined the child had earlier been in the care of his grandmother in her Lusby residence. A short time after the mother picked the infant up he appeared to be very lethargic and was exhibiting symptoms of being poisoned. She immediately rushed the child to the emergency room. The medical staff began treating the infant by administering several doses of Naloxone. The infant was eventually transferred to the Georgetown University Medial Center for further evaluation. It was determined the child was suffering from a methadone overdose. He was treated extensively for the overdose and was monitored for cardiac and respiratory issues. The medical staff listed the child in critical/acute status.
Based on the investigation the grandmother in this case has been charged on a warrant with Child Abuse 1[SUP]st[/SUP] Degree, Assault 1[SUP]st[/SUP] Degree, and Distribution of a Controlled Dangerous Substance.

officeguy

Probably accidental. Grandma passes out on the couch with her methadone bottle, little guy eats some of the candy he finds on her. A lot of methadone is given as syrup, another thing a 1 yo will gladly take if he gets his hands on it.

Freefaller

Probably accidental. Grandma passes out on the couch with her methadone bottle, little guy eats some of the candy he finds on her. A lot of methadone is given as syrup, another thing a 1 yo will gladly take if he gets his hands on it.

What I find odd is that the grandmother did not call 9-1-1 or apparently inform the baby's mother or say anything too anyone. Seems very odd to me and a very good reason for the cops to fully investigate!

officeguy

What I find odd is that the grandmother did not call 9-1-1 or apparently inform the baby's mother or say anything too anyone. Seems very odd to me and a very good reason for the cops to fully investigate!

Not odd for the opiate addled brain.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
There are quite a few things off about the story. I find it odd that the parent observed the child to be lethargic and "exhibiting symptoms of being poisoned". Lethargy is one thing. But how did they decide that the child was exhibiting sypmtoms of being poisoned, when those symptoms could be any number of childhood illnesses.

If the child was that sick, why didn't they call 911? Driving an extremely ill child all that way without some kind of medical assistance makes no sense when there are a couple of rescue squads locally who could administer aide to a child while transporting them.

Time will tell, I guess.

officeguy

There are quite a few things off about the story. I find it odd that the parent observed the child to be lethargic and "exhibiting symptoms of being poisoned". Lethargy is one thing. But how did they decide that the child was exhibiting sypmtoms of being poisoned, when those symptoms could be any number of childhood illnesses.

Because they know how grandma looks after she takes 3 days worth of her methadone in one morning.

PeoplesElbow

Sadly I knew someone who was screwed up enough that nothing here would be unusual. If the baby was fussy she thought it normal to give it some baby cold medicine to "calm it down". She got those ideas from her mother and has had one child taken away. Coincidentally they were also from Lusby.

Hank

my war
Judith-Anne-Tetrealt-300x194.jpg

55 years old! Doesn't look a day over 70...Drugs are Bad, mmmmmk.....

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
Update

Additional Charges have been added to the Grandmother of the 15-month-old overdose victim. Those charges are listed below. The Grandmother has been identified as 55-year-old Judith Anne Badrian Tetreault, of Lusby. She remains at the Calvert County Detention Center on a no bond status.

1. Child Abuse 1[SUP]st[/SUP] and 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Degree
2. Attempted Poisoning
3. Assault 1[SUP]st[/SUP] Degree
4. Neglect of a Minor
5. Distribution of a Controlled Dangerous Substance

Attachments

• Judith Anne Badrian Tetreault.jpg
    Judith Anne Badrian Tetreault.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 361

officeguy

It is truly 'bizarro world' stuff:

The child tested positive for Methadone from a blood test.

Investigation revealed that Judith Tetrealt is prescribed liquid methadone from a medical facility in Baltimore.

Upon arrival at Georgetown University Medical Center, the mother advised that the “sippy cup” used by her son “smelled funny”, and advised that this cup still has liquid in it.

Police executed a search a seizure warrant at the residence and located a number of empty and half-full methadone containers along with other items.

http://smnewsnet.com/archives/414994/details-released-poisoning-17-month-old-grandchild-lusby/

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
What a piece of work. I just don't understand. Wonder why she did it. For fun? Sick curiosity? Ugh. Hope the child makes a full recovery.

officeguy

What a piece of work. I just don't understand. Wonder why she did it. For fun? Sick curiosity? Ugh. Hope the child makes a full recovery.

Kid was probably 'fussy'. And she knows that when she feels that way, a swig from the methadone bottle will do her good.

In the pic with the glasses she has the methadone doper look down pat. Droopy eyelids, slurred monotonous speech and all.

We clearly need to legalize drugs. All the problems we have with drugs are caused by prohibition and the 'war on drugs'. Right?