Illness going around southern maryland

3CATSAILOR

More and more people have been getting extreme sinus congestion accompanied with a fever of around 100, headache, along with the typical body aches. Normally I would say it sounds like the common cold. However, this strain is accompanied with people also having a sore neck for some reason. Probably has to run its course. I'm not sure what else could be done.

black dog

Free America
My son got it, had 102°, doctor said he tested positive for Flu 1.
Tylenol and Tamiflu, he was down for three days.

Clem72

Yes, he went to work today.. those antivirals do a great job if you start them early. Thanks for asking.. :howdy:

Isn't three days about normal for a flu? I have had colds that drag one for weeks, but I don't think I ever had flu symptoms last more than a couple of days.

3CATSAILOR

Isn't three days about normal for a flu? I have had colds that drag one for weeks, but I don't think I ever had flu symptoms last more than a couple of days.

The flu is usually about a week. The other thing with severe nasal congestion has been around 3 days. The one that causes severe nasal congestion is interesting. This stain causes the mucus to be thicker than usual. 101.3 is the highest temp I am seen with this. The flu can be that temp and higher. The flu usually causes diarrhea and vomiting. The nasal congestion virus isn't known to.

FED_UP

The flu is usually about a week. The other thing with severe nasal congestion has been around 3 days. The one that causes severe nasal congestion is interesting. This stain causes the mucus to be thicker than usual. 101.3 is the highest temp I am seen with this. The flu can be that temp and higher. The flu usually causes diarrhea and vomiting. The nasal congestion virus isn't known to.

My temp was 105 last month, DR said how is your heart, I was like holy crap why did she ask that. It was the flu, made me stay until temp started to go down. I did not take enough tylenol earlier in the day.

3CATSAILOR

My temp was 105 last month, DR said how is your heart, I was like holy crap why did she ask that. It was the flu, made me stay until temp started to go down. I did not take enough tylenol earlier in the day.

105 is not accurate. You would have died. The body cannot handle a temp that high.

Clem72

105 is not accurate. You would have died. The body cannot handle a temp that high.

You're an idiot. 105 is just about the cut-off between a normal and a high fever, and about the time you should seek medical help (vs just taking an aspirin). It certainly isn't instant death.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
You're an idiot. 105 is just about the cut-off between a normal and a high fever, and about the time you should seek medical help (vs just taking an aspirin). It certainly isn't instant death.

:yeahthat:

Time for an ice bath.

Clem72

With a fever as high as 105; if that's true; wouldn't an ice bath trigger an irregular heartbeat or something similar to a heart attack?

I think the official recommendations are a luke-warm bath. Anything under your current fever temp should help, but no need to go so cold that you are shivering.

DEEKAYPEE8569

I think the official recommendations are a luke-warm bath. Anything under your current fever temp should help, but no need to go so cold that you are shivering.
That makes more sense. I don't know where I heard that bum gouge about an ice bath for a fever that high. Let's just forget I brought it up, shall we?

SoMDGirl42

luke warm bath, sometimes ice packs under the arm pits, on the head, groin area to bring down the temp.