Convicted church shooter Dylann Roof wants new federal trial

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
" COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — Convicted Charleston church shooter Dylann Roof has asked for a new federal trial, saying prosecutors didn't have jurisdiction to bring their case against him.

Roof's attorneys made that request Friday, claiming the government failed to prove his use of the internet, highways and a gun manufactured out of state were sufficient enough links to allow religious obstruction charges.

Roof, 22, was sentenced to die earlier this year for killing nine black members of Charleston's Emanuel AME Church in June 2015. In a videotaped confession to FBI agents, Roof admitted to his role in the killings and told jurors in his closing argument that he still felt compelled to commit them.

In the motion, Roof's attorneys argued his case happened entirely in South Carolina and involved only "incidental and everyday use" of areas affected by the commerce clause, like the internet or purchases from another state. The argument mirrors ones made by Roof's attorneys during his trial. "

http://bigstory.ap.org/cdbaf1cd793d4b44ab1a45a1a54cd1bd?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP

Littlebit

What a douche bag he is, let him die just like the ones he murdered. He deserves the worst thing possible and that is lethal injection [/U]and make it a slow death. Enough said.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

If you do not like the rule of law, maybe you should seek to live in another country, such as Brazil, where citizens impose mob rule summary executions without due process based on hearsay and speculation.

officeguy

Well, he is right on the facts. Maybe this allows us to get rid of that misinterpretation of the commerce clause.

Aside from that, why hasn't he been buried under the jail yet? (preferably alive)

black dog

Free America
If I may ...

If you do not like the rule of law, maybe you should seek to live in another country, such as Brazil, where citizens impose mob rule summary executions without due process based on hearsay and speculation.

He has had his due process thank you, and after his due process he should have been taken the the town square and hanged buy the neck until dead.
No interviews, no book deals just a last meal and hanged.

Hijinx

He has had his due process thank you, and after his due process he should have been taken the the town square and hanged buy the neck until dead.
No interviews, no book deals just a last meal and hanged.

I would speak to him and ask him if hes still wanted a new trial after I tell him that the day after this new trial finds him guilty he is taken to his place of execution and git's 'er done.

black dog

Free America
I would speak to him and ask him if hes still wanted a new trial after I tell him that the day after this new trial finds him guilty he is taken to his place of execution and git's 'er done.

I would go with that, as long as the new trial started next Monday.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

He has had his due process thank you, and after his due process he should have been taken the the town square and hanged buy the neck until dead. No interviews, no book deals just a last meal and hanged.

Yes he has. And he still has some other legal recourse to save his ass. Just as you would want if you were in the same situation. [not saying you are the type] Though hard to fathom, the same laws that can serve him, also, serve you.

Not condoning his crimes, he should burn in hell. But laws are to be used whether we like them or not.

black dog

Free America
If I may ...

Yes he has. And he still has some other legal recourse to save his ass. Just as you would want if you were in the same situation. [not saying you are the type] Though hard to fathom, the same laws that can serve him, also, serve you.

Not condoning his crimes, he should burn in hell. But laws are to be used whether we like them or not.

No you are mistaken about my beliefs, when you live by the sword you die by the sword.
Even though he admitted to the killings, he had his trial.
Shortly after the guilty verdict was read he should have been brought to the town square that Saturday morning and been hung or shot to death.
Easy peasy.