The Doldrums

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Well, it's here. No football. AARRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHH!

Nothing but the minor sports. It will pick up in mid-March, and baseball will help, but still, no footbal sucks.

black dog

Free America
I always thought The Doldrums were when you got caught with no wind in the intertropical convergence zone.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

Nothing but the minor sports. It will pick up in mid-March, and baseball will help, but still, no footbal sucks.

Were you a USFL fan, for spring ball? Trump got away Scott free during the campaign for his rill in destroying the USFL and playing in the spring which was starting to take off when he decided he just had to sue the NFL.

And won.

$1

Restitution

Were you a USFL fan, for spring ball? Trump got away Scott free during the campaign for his rill in destroying the USFL and playing in the spring which was starting to take off when he decided he just had to sue the NFL.

And won.

$1

Is EVERYHTING about politics with you? JFC!!!

b23hqb

PREMO Member
I always thought The Doldrums were when you got caught with no wind in the intertropical convergence zone.

It is a nautical term, and I experienced that while sailing a sail boat with NO motor a few times. Gets boring just drifting. Doesn't have to be in any specific area, though, and explains a lot of different doldrums we experience, such as no football.:buddies:

b23hqb

PREMO Member

And won.

$1

Not really a fan, but went to games here with the Bandits. I do remember laughing at the attempt to pressure the NFL, and really enjoyed the payment he received. He did destroy the league, but it was their owners money, and they went along with it. That $1 really went a long way.

Hank

my war

Thought you followed the Lightning? Or is that only if and when they are in the playoffs?

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Thought you followed the Lightning? Or is that only if and when they are in the playoffs?

I have since their birth in 1992, and do follow, and attend, Lightning games. It is still a minor sport, but fun to watch.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Not really a fan, but went to games here with the Bandits. I do remember laughing at the attempt to pressure the NFL, and really enjoyed the payment he received. He did destroy the league, but it was their owners money, and they went along with it. That $1 really went a long way.

Point being it would be up and running today because it had a base and growing number of fans.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Point being it would be up and running today because it had a base and growing number of fans.

Looking back that far, there may have been an acceptable niche for it to continue, and it could still be around, but on a minor level as well. IMHO, of course.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
...and it could still be around, but on a minor level as well. IMHO, of course.

I dunno. It seems to me that the numbers they cited in the show on the USFL proved it WAS working and growing respectably. We can quibble but I think it was well on it's way to being a going concern with it's own part of the calendar. :buddies:

black dog

Free America
It is a nautical term, and I experienced that while sailing a sail boat with NO motor a few times. Gets boring just drifting.

I have a little experience with a few weeks in the duldrums myself, mine were in the Southern Ocean around 60 to 62° for a few weeks in 1991 while sailing a solo circumnavigation in a C&C 43.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I have a little experience with a few weeks in the duldrums myself, mine were in the Southern Ocean around 60 to 62° for a few weeks in 1991 while sailing a solo circumnavigation in a C&C 43.

That's pretty freaking impressive. How long were you alone?

b23hqb

PREMO Member
I dunno. It seems to me that the numbers they cited in the show on the USFL proved it WAS working and growing respectably. We can quibble but I think it was well on it's way to being a going concern with it's own part of the calendar. :buddies:

I don't know as well. The USFL folded in 1985, right AFTER they won the anti-trust case against the NFL. I don't think they would have survived head to head with the NFL - maybe a few teams allowed to merge with the League. Where did you get your numbers that showed the USFL was workable on its own? I'd like to read that myself.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I don't know as well. The USFL folded in 1985, right AFTER they won the anti-trust case against the NFL. I don't think they would have survived head to head with the NFL - maybe a few teams allowed to merge with the League. Where did you get your numbers that showed the USFL was workable on its own? I'd like to read that myself.

Not a read. A show.

http://www.espn.com/30for30/film?page=small-potatoes-who-killed-the-usfl

The goal was to stay in the spring and carve their own niche, not go head to head. Trump ####ed it all up when the other power broker in the league, who kept him in check, died. Trump wanted to sue the NFL. He wanted a fight.

b23hqb

PREMO Member

I was never anything like that myself, and glad for it. But my intent on the world in this post are other uses for the word, such as:

: a spell of listlessness or despondency - fighting off the winter (or no football) doldrums

: a state or period of inactivity, stagnation, or slump out of the economic (or no football) doldrums

black dog

Free America
That's pretty freaking impressive. How long were you alone?

Here's a quicky.
I was gone 14 months, I went ashore many different countries.
I busted ice out of Spa Creek Annapolis in Feb and took the intercoastal to Key West for a few weeks.
Then to Bermuda and on to the Azores. Sailed the coast of France and Spain and down the West Coast of Africa stopping along the way. I have friends there I worked with a few years before.
Around the cape and down to 68 to 70°
Sailed around the bottom, well as close as I wanted to get anyway. Around Cape Horn and up the east coast of South America. Ported at maybe 30+ islands through the Leewards and windwards up to the Bahamas, stayed 75 miles offshore our east coast untill hard to port into the Chesapeake.
My kid and I are thinking about both of us doing it when he's out of school.
It was a unbelievable experience, you truly understand what being alone is. Remember this was 91, no cells, no sat phones, no weather fax, GPS was new only 4 to 8 hours a day at best.
Using a sextant was paramount. The Deep Blue can be a loving thing and it can also test to see how big your balls really are.
I highly recommend it..
It all started when a friend that taught me how to sail as a kid
( Arnie Gay from Annapolis ) took me to a seminar at the Naval academy at the speaker was Dodge Morgan.
Arnie was friends with Dodge ( a world class sailer ) we a went out for drinks after and before the end of the evening Dodge and I had shook hands on a bet.
It took me a few years to get there, about a week after I got back home I met Arnie for lunch and low and behold Dodge was there, he shook my hand and pulled out his wallet and handed me the money he owed me. Five bucks. I $hit you not.
And then I went back to what most call normal life.