An independent California isn’t that wacky of an Idea

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
An independent California isn’t that wacky of an Idea

It may be logistically implausible now. However, if four or eight years of Trump continue to jettison California values from the mainstream and represent long-term irreconcilable differences for blue and red American states, secession could be a reality in our lifetime. We wouldn’t be the first nation to revisit unresolved issues from a civil war.

There’s been plenty written on the infeasibility and public opinion numbers associated with CalExit, as secession is colloquially known. Few have really gamed it out beyond casually pontificating about constitutional amendments or military action. If you inhale political news like oxygen, theorizing about the implications of California secession is a highly stimulating line of inquiry. When you get into the weeds, you start discovering some fascinating probabilities and strategic options. I highly recommend playing along at home.

well it is Salon ... but ok

This_person

well it is Salon ... but ok

I had no issues with the south seceding. I have no issues with CA going, either. While I think it is a breach of contract and deserves some kind of restitution, and it is clear there was no intent for states to leave the Union (as shown by previous agreements between states having escape clauses and the Constitution NOT having one), if you don't love it - leave it.

SamSpade

Yeah, read that and the article he links to halfway done, this morning on the bus.

I'm sure there's a lot more than CalExit folks haven't thought of. If they become an independent nation, they have no military to speak of - no Navy, no missiles, no planes, no tanks - all of those belong to the United States. They may have the manpower, but everything else is ours.

They're going to have a *little* trouble with water AND electricity, since last check, they were buying it from other states.

Its citizens will find needing a passport just for a visit to Vegas - or anywhere else in the U.S. - a little tiresome.
ANY federal property - may yet not belong to them.

They may produce a lot of stuff - but we'll necessarily be their number one trade partner for at least a while. And there's no great reason to make it easy.
They'll have zero say in what goes on here, anymore - and you can bet, they'll try.

All in all, I don't see it *ever* happening, and I have to think voters are smart enough to know you can't come back, so it might be better to just suck it up for a few years.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
there would be an interesting fight between the Enviros wanting to kill OIL and quit sucking up 70% of the water for Farming

yeah the Military would pull out from a number of bases - or maybe long term leases :shrug:
[I'd rather seem them pull out]

the ensuing fiascos would be fun to watch, as they wasted billions trying to make all the touchy feely social programs try to work, and 40% of the elected officials changed over night to Mexicans

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I think it's hilarious that this person is trying to portray "California values" as the American "mainstream". :lmao:

I tried to read the whole article but 6,000 video pop-ups slowed me down and made it impossible.