Maryland Emissions Test

SamSpade

I need to test my father's car. Can I take it to a facility for emissions testing with my own ID? I'll have valid registration and my own driver's license etc.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Don't think the owner has to actually accompany the vehicle, make sure you have the VEIP notice with you.

NextJen

Raisin cane
I'm not even sure you need to have the VEIP notice anymore. I received an email notification that one of my vehicles was due for testing, and that I would receive the paper notice some time in the future, but I could go and have it done before I received the paper notice. I think they can pull the vehicle up in their system, and as long as you have payment, they don't care who drives it in.

Grumpy

I need to test my father's car. Can I take it to a facility for emissions testing with my own ID? I'll have valid registration and my own driver's license etc.

They can get all the info they need off the registration, don't need the mailed notification. Anyone can take the car there, I have taken friend's cars before and never was asked for driver's license.

Chris0nllyn

You don't need a license, just the VEIP paper.

Keep in mind, depending how old he is and mileage driven, he may qualify for a senior citizens exemption:
Who is eligible to receive a waiver?

Three types of waivers are available: the senior citizen emissions waiver,the disabled citizen emissions waiver and the repair waiver. The following criteria must be met:
1.Senior citizen emissions waiver
•All owners listed on the vehicle’s registration card are 70 years of age or older; and,
•The vehicle is driven less than 5,000 miles annually.

Note: If the vehicle is driven for a nonprofit organization and you are applying for a senior citizen emissions waiver, the mileage driven for the nonprofit organization can be deducted from the annual mileage with written verification on the organization's letterhead
http://www.mva.maryland.gov/about-mva/info/58000VEI/58000-08T.htm#waiver

SamSpade

It was no problem at all. I guess when you haven't needed to do it in many years, it worried me.
Also, since my father is dead, I thought there might be some concern about the test, but they didn't care.

NextJen

Raisin cane
It was no problem at all. I guess when you haven't needed to do it in many years, it worried me.
Also, since my father is dead, I thought there might be some concern about the test, but they didn't care.

Glad there was no issue. They don't care as long as they get the $'s.