What raids bird feeders during the night?

Hessian

I have heard the thief trying to get under the hanging roof of my bird feeder (tree suspended)...but by the time I get a flashlight & open the door....he/she is gone,...and the feeder is swinging away in the tree.

It has got to be smaller than a tabby cat, so seriously doubt if it is a coon (too heavy).

Wouldn't mind borrowing a trail cam & getting some definitive proof,
Chupacabra?

Spook

Flying squirrels. th.jpg

Last edited:

Spook

If you're really patient (and very still), eventually you may be able to hand feed them. I feed mine walnuts and unsalted peanuts, with peanut butter being their favorite.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
My guess would be a small possum or raccoon. They are relentless to try to get to a food source.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Mouse/Rat, squirrels don't operate a night.

Mice do operate at night. Never had rats. I agree with others here that it is raccoon or possum. A squirrel shield on the birdfeeder pole is great. Also, one can grease the pole with Vaseline. Also, don't put feeders too close to trees allowing squirrels to jump from tree to feeder. I haven't put my feeders out since we moved because have resident hawk couple that have a nest in our backyard. Trying to identify them. So far, we think they are red-shouldered hawks. They feed on small birds, among other things. I am feeling guilty to put bird feeder out to attract the birds and make them bird bait. What's a Robin (my name) to do? :frown:

Jennalynn

Raccoons of all sizes with raid feeders. They are very adept at getting out of sight at the first sign of trouble. By the time you open your door, they’ve heard you coming and are long gone… Opossums, although fairly slow moving, love feeders… and are excellent climbers. Again, they are tuned in to noises, and can often get away before being seen. Raccoons and Opossums don’t always run “down” to get away… so if you look up high, you might see them hiding in the crevice of a tree.

Mice and rats certainly… I’ve had deer stand on their hind legs, just so that they could reach their tongues sideways into my feeders to lick out sunflower seed. Bats are generally interested in insects, although some will drink from your hummingbird feeders at night. Fruit bats will eat some seed.

Peoples Elbow – You are correct that squirrels don’t eat at night. Flying squirrels eat from dusk until just before dawn…

buddscreek

just a bigfoot, they can't be seen with lights or photographed. must use thermal imaging. really, I read it on the internet.

Squirrel/s I put up a new bird feeder this year and hung it from a tree. Every morning I had to shoo away the rodents. Within 1 week, all the feed was gone. Went to Wild Birds Unlimited and they recommended changing the feed to Safflower. Squirrels don't like it because it's bitter to them. Put it up and the squirrels haven't touched it in almost 3 weeks. The birds love it, though.

limblips

Feed all of the animals. I gave up on all of the "proven" squirrel, possum, coon, flying squirrel, rats, mouse and every other deterrent. I just gave in and feed them all, even the rats, they get fed .177 pellets at 1200FPS. I did find that putting peanuts and corn out away from the feeders does help keep the non-avian munchers out of the bird seed.

Bonehead

We have had trouble with racoons, I have to trap them every year or so. DNR told me do NOT relocate shoot them in the trap and don't get any blood on you due to rabies potential.

Bushy23

That is because Raccoons are very territorial. So if reintroduced somewhere, they'd just get into major fights. But that also means when you trap and kill, another will just move right in. Sounds to me like you need a better method to keep raccoons away. They are only there because you make it easy for them to eat!