Exodus 34 Remember who you are

seekeroftruth

Exodus 34:15 “Be careful not to make a treaty with those who live in the land; for when they prostitute themselves to their gods and sacrifice to them, they will invite you and you will eat their sacrifices. 16 And when you choose some of their daughters as wives for your sons and those daughters prostitute themselves to their gods, they will lead your sons to do the same.

17 “Do not make any idols.

18 “Celebrate the Festival of Unleavened Bread. For seven days eat bread made without yeast, as I commanded you. Do this at the appointed time in the month of Aviv, for in that month you came out of Egypt.​

My grandmother was a devoted person. She had seven kids and still found time to work for the church. She raised enough money to open a new wing and Graddaddy was a carpenter so he built it for her. She use to say "Remember who you are and where you came from". Most moms would just say "behave yourself" but not my grandmother. She wanted us to be proud of our family and act accordingly.

I got this from the blueletter.org site.

The culture of the Canaanites was so corrupt that it was beyond redemption. God did not want Israel to assume any of the sinful practices found in the culture of the Canaanites.

There was a definite connection between the worship of the Canaanite gods and sexual immorality. Many of the Canaanite gods were fertility gods and they were worshipped with ritual prostitutes and sex.

This command was especially poignant in light of the golden calf debacle. No molded image could come close to displaying the glory of God, even in the partial sense Moses saw it on Mount Sinai.

This was a feast speaking of their purity before God, when all leaven - a symbol of sin - was put away and Israel walked in a symbolic purity.

This comes from the easy English site.

The Israelites must not make a friendly agreement for peace. That would lead them to join in with the local customs. There were both good customs and bad customs. The bad customs of the people in Canaan included how they worshipped their false gods. The people in Canaan would invite the Israelites to share meat with them. But this meat came from the gifts that the Canaanites gave to their false gods. In New Testament times that was a problem for the Christians in the city called Corinth. They wondered whether they should eat meat from people’s gifts to the false gods there. There was also a danger if Israelite men married women from the nations in Canaan. A local wife may persuade her Israelite husband to go to the local parties. Very soon, her husband would worship his wife’s false god.

Sometimes it's almost impossible to do what God wants you to do. Almost impossible..... but not quite impossible.

Daddy use to say "God, Family, Country".

:coffee: