Caesar's Pocono Resort

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
http://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/...nd-abandoned-see-the-creepy-photos/ss-AAmTEYW

The Pocono Mountains in Pennsylvania had been considered to be the "Honeymoon Capital of the World" for decades, but in the 1990s, hotels in the area started closing down. Soon enough, the romantic getaway spot turned into an abandoned area that's downright chilling. Photojournalist Seph Lawless documented many of the resorts in the area after their demise.

I'm always curious how this happens. These Pocono resorts were THE honeymoon spot for so long....then they just died. I've stayed at Caesar's before, and that's where my son and his wife honeymooned years ago. It was so incredibly tacky and over the top - my room had red flocking on the walls to go with the heart shaped bed and champagne glass tub. :twitch: But it was fun and very popular. So why didn't they keep it up? Why let it go to seed?

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
http://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/...nd-abandoned-see-the-creepy-photos/ss-AAmTEYW

The Pocono Mountains in Pennsylvania had been considered to be the "Honeymoon Capital of the World" for decades, but in the 1990s, hotels in the area started closing down. Soon enough, the romantic getaway spot turned into an abandoned area that's downright chilling. Photojournalist Seph Lawless documented many of the resorts in the area after their demise.

I'm always curious how this happens. These Pocono resorts were THE honeymoon spot for so long....then they just died. I've stayed at Caesar's before, and that's where my son and his wife honeymooned years ago. It was so incredibly tacky and over the top - my room had red flocking on the walls to go with the heart shaped bed and champagne glass tub. :twitch: But it was fun and very popular. So why didn't they keep it up? Why let it go to seed?

My wife complains about folding fitted sheets already, I bet she'd burn these before even trying to fold them. I do remember the commercials with the champagne glass tubs though.

Hijinx

People probably started honeymooning in Cancun where it's warm or taking a Cruise. When people stop coming it isn't the idea of letting it go to seed. It goes to seed when the people aren't there to support it.

Restitution

I'll go with "Priced themselves out of the market" for $500.... Alex :yay:

Like Jinx said.... probably priced themselves so high that it was either a shivering get-a-way in the mountains of PA -OR- a nice warm relaxing day on the beach.... for the same price.

No brainer...

black dog

Free America
“You think kids want to come with their parents and take fox-trot lessons? Trips to Europe, that’s what the kids want. Twenty-two countries in three days. It feels like it’s all slipping away.”

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
“You think kids want to come with their parents and take fox-trot lessons? Trips to Europe, that’s what the kids want. Twenty-two countries in three days. It feels like it’s all slipping away.”

Exactly what I was thinking! :lol:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

:lol:

But there is a market for the throwback and the retro. Deep Creek doesn't seem to have a problem (although they might and I just haven't kept up). It just seems a shame to me that they let those terrific resorts fall into ruin rather than retool them for the modern market.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Remember when Niagara Falls was such a popular honeymoon destination that it was a cliche?

Remember when Niagara Falls was such a popular honeymoon destination that it was a cliche?
Yeah and the American side soon became a dirty, expensive tourist trap while the Canadian side realized it is the livelihood of that area and make every effort to keep it a clean, safe, welcoming place to visit.

I'm voting 'they out-priced themselves and what they really have to offer" too. Last folks I remember talking about going there were very vocal about how they knew to bring their own adult beverages because the cost of drinks in that area was beyond ridiculous.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Yeah and the American side soon became a dirty, expensive tourist trap while the Canadian side realized it is the livelihood of that area and make every effort to keep it a clean, safe, welcoming place to visit.

You bring up a great point. I'm putting together our New England journey and the prices for in-season lodging are absurd (although deals can indeed be found :diva:). They were absurd in the Yellowstone area, too. This did not stop people from all over the world from visiting, though. So at what point do they price themselves out of the market and vacationers start looking at other options? Myrtle Beach in the shoulder season - Sept/Oct/Nov - is affordable and the weather is lovely, as opposed to the summer when it's sweltering hot and hotel prices are triple.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I'm voting 'they out-priced themselves and what they really have to offer" too. .

That doesn't make sense. No business prices itself out of existence. That implies had they simply cut prices they would have stayed in business and made plenty of money. Business's fail when they can't charge enough. Not when they charge too much.

More like they could no longer compete. Increased air travel, highway system, more and more cruise ships, much cheaper, the beach as some mentioned. They couldn't get what they needed to stay afloat because the market changed in ways they could do nothing about. :shrug:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
That doesn't make sense. No business prices itself out of existence. That implies had they simply cut prices they would have stayed in business and made plenty of money. Business's fail when they can't charge enough. Not when they charge too much.

Huh? Businesses price themselves out all the time. They overcharge for what they deliver, and nobody purchases their product or service anymore because they can get a better deal somewhere else. Had they cut prices and been more reasonable, they wouldn't have lost their customers.

I have lost count of how many businesses I have personally seen do this.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Huh? Businesses price themselves out all the time. They overcharge for what they deliver, and nobody purchases their product or service anymore because they can get a better deal somewhere else. Had they cut prices and been more reasonable, they wouldn't have lost their customers.

I have lost count of how many businesses I have personally seen do this.

You're saying you know of business's who could have cut prices AND still made plenty of profit? That they were so stupid they said "I'd rather charge way more than the market will bear and go out of business rather than sell at market prices and be absolutely successful?"

That's absurd.

Wishbone

You're saying you know of business's who could have cut prices AND still made plenty of profit? That they were so stupid they said "I'd rather charge way more than the market will bear and go out of business rather than sell at market prices and be absolutely successful?"

That's absurd.

Green Mountain Retailers ( their coffee biz is still in good shape )

Garfinkels

Hechts

Last edited: