President Trump’s family is living large — and American taxpayers are paying for it

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
" President Donald Trump may have been elected as the nominee of a party that prides itself on fiscal conservatism, but he and his family are preparing to blow taxpayers out of the water as they continue with their posh lifestyle.

From the president’s frequent trips to his Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida and his sons’ upcoming trip to the United Arab Emirates to open a golf course in Dubai to the First Lady’s decision to reside at Trump Tower in New York City, the lifestyle choices of Trump and family are running up taxpayers’ tab in an unprecedented manner, according to a report from The Washington Post.

Although the agencies which handle most of these expenses did not reply to the Post’s request for specific figures, the newspaper was able to estimate that the president’s three trips to Mar-a-Lago probably cost roughly $10 million, that New York City spends $500,000 every day to guard Trump Tower (which could reach over $730 million by the end of Trump’s first term), and that Eric Trump’s trip to Uruguay for a Trump-brand condo tower cost nearly $100,000 in hotel bills.

“This is an expensive way to conduct business, and the president should recognize that,” said Tom Fitton, president of the conservative group Judicial Watch, when speaking to The Post. “The unique thing about President Trump is that he knows what it costs to run a plane.”

By contrast, although Judicial Watch regularly criticized President Obama for forcing taxpayers to cover his vacation costs, they estimated that his expenses only equaled roughly $97 million during his eight-year presidency — a fraction of what is anticipated for Trump. "

http://www.salon.com/2017/02/17/president-trumps-family-is-living-large-and-american-taxpayers-are-paying-for-it/

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
:roflmao:

#1, they lived a lot larger before Trump became president.

#2, shall we tot up Barry and Michelle's travel expenses?

From the WashPo story:

"Former President Obama flew to Florida for the express purpose of a golf lesson and a round of golf with Tiger Woods. President Trump was in Florida with the Prime Minister of Japan,” Barrasso’s press secretary, Laura M. Mengelkamp, said in a statement. “Regardless, every level of the federal government needs to be mindful of the way it spends taxpayer dollars.”

Last edited:

Chris0nllyn

I love that Salon is now worried about the travels of the President.

I'm sure they'll be just as critical with the next Democrat President.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
g7o1WBE.jpg

mAlice

professional daydreamer

All I can see is the subject line, but dayum. Is there really anyone out there who thinks for a minute that he didn't live like this before, and that our tax dollars are paying for it? I mean this as a real question. Are there even dems who have no clue how much this man is worth? LOL That's a stupid question.

I think this is a good place to bring up something that I read. I suspect I'm slow in gathering this little tid-bit, but just in case anyone else didn't know... Marjorie Merriweather Post bequeathed Mar-A-Lago to the nation, as a winter retreat for Presidents and dignitaries. It was returned to her estate in 1980, and Trump bought it in 1985.

Midnightrider

From the WashPo story:

All I can see is the subject line, but dayum. Is there really anyone out there who thinks for a minute that he didn't live like this before, and that our tax dollars are paying for it? I mean this as a real question. Are there even dems who have no clue how much this man is worth? LOL That's a stupid question.

I think this is a good place to bring up something that I read. I suspect I'm slow in gathering this little tid-bit, but just in case anyone else didn't know... Marjorie Merriweather Post bequeathed Mar-A-Lago to the nation, as a winter retreat for Presidents and dignitaries. It was returned to her estate in 1980, and Trump bought it in 1985.

so we don't care how much he spends of our money because he is used to living large? That's a pretty stupid argument. If he is supposed to be doing what is right for the country he would care about spending our money.

I'm not saying he shouldn't travel, but the excuse that living large is just what he is used to is dumb.

BTW, as I remember the Clintons were roasted over sleeping in separate bedrooms, how is it that no one cares that the first lady doesn't even want to be in the same city as the president?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
how is it that no one cares that the first lady doesn't even want to be in the same city as the president?

There's a great example of your bias and snarky bull####: there is no indication that Melania "doesn't want to" be in the same city as The Donald. Her explanation that she wanted to keep Barron in his school until the end of the term is reasonable, but now even that is being spun by nuts like you to be something ominous.

Midnightrider

There's a great example of your bias and snarky bull####: there is no indication that Melania "doesn't want to" be in the same city as The Donald. Her explanation that she wanted to keep Barron in his school until the end of the term is reasonable, but now even that is being spun by nuts like you to be something ominous.

come on, the right spun bill and Hillary being in different rooms into her being a lesbian and a bunch of other crap.
My post was pointing out the hypocrisy you are so clearly showing :yay:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
the excuse that living large is just what he is used to is dumb.

Well, no. The bull#### headline indicates that Trump is *now* living large because we are paying for it, and that is not the truth.

I'm curious, though, why it costs half a million bucks a *day* to secure Trump Towers. That seems absurdly high.

I'd also like to see the breakdown. This story indicated that the Trump sons are traveling for business at taxpayer expense, then you read further and find that the "expense" is Secret Service for them. According to the story, there is an itemized breakdown somewhere, but they declined to present it.

Salon spun the #### out of this because they're what retards read to confirm their bias, but the WashPo (not much better) story is used as a source. So why would OP link the Salon spin and not use the actual source?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
come on, the right spun bill and Hillary being in different rooms into her being a lesbian and a bunch of other crap.
My post was pointing out the hypocrisy you are so clearly showing :yay:

I never heard any snark about Bill and Hillary being in separate bedrooms. Maybe a random dumbass here and there, probably Rush Limbaugh, but that was not a legitimate news story nor do I recall it being a subject for the newspapers or TV news. Not even close to CBS "reporting" on Meatloafgate.

Midnightrider

Well, no. The bull#### headline indicates that Trump is *now* living large because we are paying for it, and that is not the truth.

I'm curious, though, why it costs half a million bucks a *day* to secure Trump Towers. That seems absurdly high.

I'd also like to see the breakdown. This story indicated that the Trump sons are traveling for business at taxpayer expense, then you read further and find that the "expense" is Secret Service for them. According to the story, there is an itemized breakdown somewhere, but they declined to present it.

Salon spun the #### out of this because they're what retards read to confirm their bias, but the WashPo (not much better) story is used as a source. So why would OP link the Salon spin and not use the actual source?

which headline says that? Its not in the one in the OP

SS is the main cost when any president or his family travel. They have to move and house a bunch of people and vehicles. This cant be news to you. It was EXACTLY the same under the last 10 presidents

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
which headline says that? Its not in the one in the OP

President Trump’s family is living large — and American taxpayers are paying for it

"Is" indicating the present. "Are" indicates the present as well. Like this is something new and unheard of. An honest headline would read, "Trump travels in his official capacity, meeting with foreign leaders, and as usual it's one of the expenses that our taxes pay for." But that would be too boring, just like this story is a non-story, and there's a rule that every single day the press MUST print something derogatory about Trump and paint him in a bad light. Apparently nothing else is going on, so they write about Trump's travel itinerary and meat loaf.

Midnightrider

"Is" indicating the present. "Are" indicates the present as well. Like this is something new and unheard of. An honest headline would read, "Trump travels in his official capacity, meeting with foreign leaders, and as usual it's one of the expenses that our taxes pay for." But that would be too boring, just like this story is a non-story, and there's a rule that every single day the press MUST print something derogatory about Trump and paint him in a bad light. Apparently nothing else is going on, so they write about Trump's travel itinerary and meat loaf.
so the imaginary headline in your head said "now" and "because", I get it......

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
, how is it that no one cares that the first lady doesn't even want to be in the same city as the president?

Because we respect her desire to have her son finish out his current school year without any disruption? Except for that...... #failednarrative

Seriously, people.... "Although the agencies which handle most of these expenses did not reply to the Post’s request for specific figures, the newspaper was able to estimate..." should be where you all stopped knitting brow and started giggling... :lol: