ISO Information Verizon FIOS

Moving into a townhouse in the Red Oak section of Wildewood. Anyone know if Verizon FIOS is available there? I know, I could just contact Verizon, but am hoping that if it IS available there, if anyone has it and their thoughts about it. Thanks.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Moving into a townhouse in the Red Oak section of Wildewood. Anyone know if Verizon FIOS is available there? I know, I could just contact Verizon, but am hoping that if it IS available there, if anyone has it and their thoughts about it. Thanks.

Verizon and Comcast both laugh when you mention fiber in St. Mary's County.
Verizon does not have FiOS down here and doesn't even have the county on their roadmap.
I did get a mailer from Comcast for their business plan, which is basically the Xfinity - which is fiberoptic
When I checked it out, the same answer. Not now, and not in the foreseeable future.

You have basically 3 choices, Metrocast, Verizon DSL or Satellite

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I went to the Verizon website, used the lookup tool to check availability, thing couldn't even find my address, house is almost 5 years old.

Also looked up Lowe's, where I work. Looks like Fios is available in the commercial strip along 3 Notch.

Last edited:

lucky_bee

RBF expert
a year and a half ago I moved out of that section, and Fios was never an option. Doubt it's been made available since then.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I think new developments can have FiOS which would include stuff in Wildewood.

Verizon and Comcast are not doing residential fiber optics. Every response I've seen from both indicates they don't think it's worth their effort to put the infrastructure in.

I do know there is a fiber optic trunk running down 235, not sure who all is allowed to tap into that puppy.
That trunk has been there for years, ironically companies working off 235 were using dial up internet access because not even commercial access was available.

wubbles

Coulda sworn I heard about the new townhouses in Wildewood being built will have FiOS but obviously I don't have a source to back it up. The "luxury" apartments behind BJs has FiOS.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Verizon and Comcast are not doing residential fiber optics. Every response I've seen from both indicates they don't think it's worth their effort to put the infrastructure in.

I do know there is a fiber optic trunk running down 235, not sure who all is allowed to tap into that puppy.
That trunk has been there for years, ironically companies working off 235 were using dial up internet access because not even commercial access was available.

There are two of them, one is owned by the navy and the other is called Maryland broadband. http://mdbc.us

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
There are two of them, one is owned by the navy and the other is called Maryland broadband. http://mdbc.us

Not sure if Maryland broadband really still exists, this is the link they give to their status map: http://mdbroadbandmap.org/
It looks like the text is in Korean, as a placeholder for someone who wants to buy the domain name.
Last update on their main website is from 2013 and mentions Governor O'Malley..

glhs837

Power with Control
Was an awesome shell game. Used stimulus funds to lay a fiber backbone all the way down to St Marys City, maybe even as far as Ridge Elementary, claiming that after it was laid, commercial entities could branch off of it and offer residential service. All the schools and govt folks along it are tied in, but no commercial use.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Not sure if Maryland broadband really still exists, this is the link they give to their status map: http://mdbroadbandmap.org/
It looks like the text is in Korean, as a placeholder for someone who wants to buy the domain name.
Last update on their main website is from 2013 and mentions Governor O'Malley..
The last update was in 2013 because that's when the project was completed.