Va. gov vetoes bill to defund Planned Parenthood

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
" Virginia's Democratic governor on Tuesday vetoed a bill from the GOP-majority state legislature that would have defunded Planned Parenthood.

"It's time that our General Assembly understands that we have a responsibility to protect the rights and dignity of women," Gov. Terry McAuliffe said at a press conference.

"Without access to reproductive care and the freedom to exercise choice, women are denied the choice to make deeply personal health decisions."

McAuliffe's veto comes as the Republican-controlled Congress moves to restrict funds for Planned Parenthood at the federal level. The House voted last week to roll back an Obama-era regulation that barred states from defunding healthcare providers for political reasons.

Former President Barack Obama's rule required that state and local governments distribute federal Title X funding for services related to contraception, fertility, pregnancy care and cervical cancer screenings to health providers, regardless of whether they also perform abortions.

Republican leaders have also said that a provision defunding Planned Parenthood will be included in a bill that will also repeal ObamaCare. Leaders hope to have that bill passed by the end of March. "

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/320418-va-gov-vetos-bill-that-would-have-defunded-planned-parenthood

SamSpade

I always see this as - well, what's the right word - sheer bull####? Planned Parenthood does get most of its money through actual fees and private donations. Without government or state funds, it will survive.
Moreover, women can get vital healthcare through many other outlets providing the very same level of health care.

It's like saying that littering will rule the day because the government isn't paying for trash pick up. Please. You don't need Uncle Sam to provide your healthcare at Planned Parenthood.
And frankly - God help you if you do.

black dog

Free America
I always see this as - well, what's the right word - sheer bull####? Planned Parenthood does get most of its money through actual fees and private donations. Without government or state funds, it will survive.
Moreover, women can get vital healthcare through many other outlets providing the very same level of health care.

It's like saying that littering will rule the day because the government isn't paying for trash pick up. Please. You don't need Uncle Sam to provide your healthcare at Planned Parenthood.

So folks going to some clinics is OK just as long as their not Planned Parenthood Clinics.

How about the overwhelming majority of federal funding to Planned Parenthood comes from Medicaid — 75 percent, we should just shut off Medicaid to everyone.
After that we will see what health services close up and who is prosperous.

And you seem to have a oxymoron going on there with " Moreover, women can get vital healthcare through many other outlets providing the very same level of health care "
And,
" You don't need Uncle Sam to provide your healthcare at Planned Parenthood.
And frankly - God help you if you do "

So is Planned Parenthood along with other clinics that have the same level of service just dirty, unclean and outdated or is it something I missed?

I'm guessing it's something else. :dingding:

Last edited:

PsyOps

Pixelated

This is the extent that I am against abortion. I do not want my taxes subsidizing someone else's mistakes. After seeing the video on preserving body parts in order to sell them, then seeing the video of those people calling various PP clinics to find they don't provide prenatal care and hearing all they provide is abortions, I have determined they are just an evil enterprise.

PsyOps

Pixelated
So folks going to some clinics is OK just as long as their not Planned Parenthood Clinics.

How about the overwhelming majority of federal funding to Planned Parenthood comes from Medicaid — 75 percent, we should just shut off Medicaid to everyone.
After that we will see what health services close up and who is prosperous.

And you seem to have a oxymoron going on there with " Moreover, women can get vital healthcare through many other outlets providing the very same level of health care "
And,
" You don't need Uncle Sam to provide your healthcare at Planned Parenthood.
And frankly - God help you if you do "

So is Planned Parenthood along with other clinics that have the same level of service just dirty, unclean and outdated or is it something I missed?

I'm guessing it's something else. :dingding:

That's what you got out of Sam's post?

SamSpade

That's what you got out of Sam's post?

I'm guessing you were better able at figuring out what was said than I did.

PP gets a slim fraction of its funding from the federal government.
Pretty much everywhere there's a PP, there are several clinics that offer the same options that PP does. It's not the only option. It never is.
No matter how much PP tries to describe its function as providing healthcare - its primary function is abortions.
When offered the option of full funding from the fed so long as there's no abortions, they refuse.
It's their reason for existence. They may claim every pill and every blood test is a different "service" but what they do is provide a third of all the abortions in the United States.

I don't know any other business of any kind that has that big a portion of a market that claims - that's not what we do.
The NFL doesn't go around saying, hey, we don't provide sports entertainment, we sell beer and hot dogs.

You want pre-natal health care? You don't need PP and honestly, they almost never provide it.
You want an abortion - you don't have to have PP to do it, even cheaply.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Simple fact of the matter is that PP's primary purpose, goal and service is as an abortion factory. The "other services" amount to squat and are not even provided at many of the clinics. They don't need one dollar of taxpayer money to keep their primary line of business rolling smartly along and meeting the goals and quotas they've established for themselves.

black dog

Free America
I'm guessing you were better able at figuring out what was said than I did.

Pretty much everywhere there's a PP, there are several clinics that offer the same options that PP does. It's not the only option. It never is.
No matter how much PP tries to describe its function as providing healthcare - its primary function is abortions.
When offered the option of full funding from the fed so long as there's no abortions, they refuse.
It's their reason for existence. They may claim every pill and every blood test is a different "service" but what they do is provide a third of all the abortions in the United States.

I don't know any other business of any kind that has that big a portion of a market that claims - that's not what we do.
The NFL doesn't go around saying, hey, we don't provide sports entertainment, we sell beer and hot dogs.

You want pre-natal health care? You don't need PP and honestly, they almost never provide it.
You want an abortion - you don't have to have PP to do it, even cheaply.

How much does the government pay to Planned Parenthood?

Planned Parenthood receives $500 million a year in government funding — or, to be more exact, $528 million last year, according to Planned Parenthood's latest annual report.

That totals more than 40 percent of Planned Parenthood's total $1.3 billion in revenue for the year, which suggests that the organization would be in some heavy financial trouble without that public funding.

I'll just use the county where I live in Indiana, I live in a town of 5 thousand we have 4 health clinics, none do abortions. But all four take State and Federal insurance that's offered to lower income folks.
About 25 miles from me is a Planned Parenthood Clinic, it has one doctor and it's in a town of 50+ thousand people. You would think in a dying Midwest town business would be better.
The biggest problem I see is not what some of these certain health clinics do it the amount of clinics that keep opening up across America that should alarm us.
All of them, I mean everyone of them are depending on those state and Federal funds to make the owners a huge living.
To many folks living on the Government Plantation.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Pretty much, but I'm sure it's that legal abortion thing that happens at Planned Parenthood and many other Clinics across America everyday that's really the issue.

This isn't about whether abortion is legal or not, it's about whether the tax payers should pay for abortions.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Don't you do that now? With food stamps and welfare?

Or is it only bad if someone wants to "nit it in the bud" so to speak?

You're really going to compare providing subsistence to people to help them LIVE to subsidizing the destruction of human life?

PsyOps

Pixelated

To the sum of over $500 million per year. That may not be a lot for government standards, but it's $500 million more than I want to provide for abortions.