Europe wonders..."who should we listen to?"

tommyjo

From Monday:

MODERATOR: We have time for a few questions. We'll start the BBC, Damian Grammaticas over there.

QUESTION: Vice President, you've given your assurances today here in Brussels to European leaders that the U.S. is committed to working with Europe. President Trump has said very different things. He's said that the E.U. is a vehicle for Germany, that the U.K. was smart to get out and he expected other countries to follow.

Who should European leaders listen to, you or President Trump? And can they be certain that what you say, the assurances you give, won't be contradicted in a tweet or a statement at a press conference tomorrow?

And Secretary General, who do you listen to? And are you concerned about differences in what you hear?

Mike Pence: Well, thank you for the question.

Let me say, it is my great privilege to serve as vice president for the 45th president of the United States. And the president directed me to go to Munich and to come here to Brussels with a very specific message, to go to Munich, to -- to the Munich Security Conference and make it very clear, as I do so again today here at NATO's headquarters, that the United States is expressing strong support for NATO. Even as -- even as we challenge NATO and challenge our allies, to evolve to the new and widening challenges and further meet their responsibilities in this ever-changing, ever -- ever- complicated world of threats.

But with regard to the E.U., the president also directed me to come here to Brussels and I had the great privilege of meeting with leaders of the European Union throughout the morning and to express the -- the desire of the United States to continue, continue cooperation and partnership with the European Union. We -- we respect the determination of the people of Great Britain, as manifested in Brexit and we respect the judgment of the peoples of Europe in the European Union.

And as I said today, through many leaders, we look forward to working across the channel with all parties in the years ahead on behalf of peace and prosperity.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?42425...e-secretarygeneral-stoltenberg-new-conference

So...for Vrai...who doesn't understand...THIS is what "being Presidential" is like. He didn't want to answer the question...so he didn't...he didn't spout off...he didn't yell at the reporter and claim the question was unfair...he didn't make up a bunch of bullsh!t and then later claim he never said it...or blame it on someone else. Mr. Pence didn't slouch over...puff out his chest...pout...or make faces. He just calmly gave a non-answer.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Trump.JPG

SamSpade

He just calmly gave a non-answer.

Which - sadly - is what we've created.

When you create a situation where good or bad, you're going to get bombed over over doing the right thing or doing what you said you'll do or even doing what is best or what is even popular -

You learn the best course of action is to say something innocuous and meaningless. That's what Americans detest but have forced their leaders to say.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Say...sugar tits..when was your last visit to Europe and Scandinavia? I'm there every month. Let's compare notes.