MLB Gets rid of throwing Four Pitches for an Intentional Walk

Misfit

Lawful neutral
http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...tional-intentional-walkwill-use-signal-dugout

As part of its initiative to improve pace-of-game play, Major League Baseball has approved a change to the intentional walk rule, going from the traditional four-pitch walk to a dugout signal, it was announced Wednesday.

MLB has studied various ways to quicken games.

ESPN's Jayson Stark reported earlier this month that MLB had made formal proposals to the players' union to usher in both raising the strike zone and scrapping the practice of lobbing four balls toward home plate to issue an intentional walk.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
There was always the chance that the catcher would miss the pitch.

What would help baseball would be a return to the Sunday doubleheader. If they are worried about losing money, make it a day/night affair and have 2 tickets for that day. This way the season would end sooner instead of having playoff games in late October in places like Detroit, Denver or Cleveland. The game isn't fun played in 40 degree temps late in the year.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Dumb move.

Agreed. There have been a number of wild pitches resulting from attempts to intentionally walk a batter, resulting in wild pitches ending up in runs for the batting team.. Last time I pitched in HS, it was always harder hit the catcher stepping out of the catchers box than throw to the plate. Plus, it would eliminate catchers balks for exiting too soon - a practice that has basically ignored by umpires.

Stupid move.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
why? not really a baseball person so I don't see where this would be a bad move.

An intentional walk is a 'thing' a part of the game. The pitcher has to humble himself and intentionally give in to a hitter. Never mind the reasons but he has to do it and his catcher has to catch it. It's four pitches. Things happen, things go wrong. Minds wander. Frustration has to be controlled. Most often, it does not but it allows tension to build, it allows a breather for all to get closer to the edge of their seat and anticipate whether it was a good move or not based on what happens next.

We play the games for reasons and, sure, some things can go the way of the dinosaur but, to me, this ain't one of them.

Restitution

Is the purpose of this to speed up games as a convenience to the fans -OR- as a way to squeeze in more advertising space and commercial breaks?

PeoplesElbow

There was always the chance that the catcher would miss the pitch.

What would help baseball would be a return to the Sunday doubleheader. If they are worried about losing money, make it a day/night affair and have 2 tickets for that day. This way the season would end sooner instead of having playoff games in late October in places like Detroit, Denver or Cleveland. The game isn't fun played in 40 degree temps late in the year.

I think it is fun, I remember practicing in the snow form little league clear through highschool ball.

black dog

Free America
Instead of wasting four pitches with a intentional walk the pitcher should just hit the batter with the ball.
Plus it would add some needed drama to the game.

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
think it was the Marlin catcher who had researched therebuttal to this and it's like one intentional walk every 2.9 games last year.He said and it makes sense, a better speed up play is if player hits home run,send the dude to bench... Many more home runs per game then BS walks and thereis always the chance of a passed ball !!!!.<o:p></o:p>