Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MLB Gets rid of throwing Four Pitches for an Intentional Walk

Thumbs up MLB Gets rid of throwing Four Pitches for an Intentional Walk

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/1...-signal-dugout

As part of its initiative to improve pace-of-game play, Major League Baseball has approved a change to the intentional walk rule, going from the traditional four-pitch walk to a dugout signal, it was announced Wednesday.

MLB has studied various ways to quicken games.

ESPN's Jayson Stark reported earlier this month that MLB had made formal proposals to the players' union to usher in both raising the strike zone and scrapping the practice of lobbing four balls toward home plate to issue an intentional walk.
    Protect the hive from enemies.

Dumb move.
    Nepotism begins at home

why? not really a baseball person so I don't see where this would be a bad move.

Blog Entries
    There was always the chance that the catcher would miss the pitch.

What would help baseball would be a return to the Sunday doubleheader. If they are worried about losing money, make it a day/night affair and have 2 tickets for that day. This way the season would end sooner instead of having playoff games in late October in places like Detroit, Denver or Cleveland. The game isn't fun played in 40 degree temps late in the year.
    Even if Donald Trump wins all the toss up states, he would still lose - R. Madcow 11/16

Monello thinks he is king of the forum, now. Just keep that in mind.
    Be kind to the unhappy progressives and Democrats in your life.

Lurking in the background in flat, humid Fl
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gude View Post
    Dumb move.
    Agreed. There have been a number of wild pitches resulting from attempts to intentionally walk a batter, resulting in wild pitches ending up in runs for the batting team.. Last time I pitched in HS, it was always harder hit the catcher stepping out of the catchers box than throw to the plate. Plus, it would eliminate catchers balks for exiting too soon - a practice that has basically ignored by umpires.

Stupid move.
    “The truth will set you free, but first it will make you miserable.” - President James A. Garfield

Quote Originally Posted by terbear1225 View Post
    why? not really a baseball person so I don't see where this would be a bad move.
    An intentional walk is a 'thing' a part of the game. The pitcher has to humble himself and intentionally give in to a hitter. Never mind the reasons but he has to do it and his catcher has to catch it. It's four pitches. Things happen, things go wrong. Minds wander. Frustration has to be controlled. Most often, it does not but it allows tension to build, it allows a breather for all to get closer to the edge of their seat and anticipate whether it was a good move or not based on what happens next.

We play the games for reasons and, sure, some things can go the way of the dinosaur but, to me, this ain't one of them.
    Nepotism begins at home

That makes sense.

Is the purpose of this to speed up games as a convenience to the fans -OR- as a way to squeeze in more advertising space and commercial breaks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gude View Post
    I post stupid #### all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Monello View Post
    There was always the chance that the catcher would miss the pitch.

What would help baseball would be a return to the Sunday doubleheader. If they are worried about losing money, make it a day/night affair and have 2 tickets for that day. This way the season would end sooner instead of having playoff games in late October in places like Detroit, Denver or Cleveland. The game isn't fun played in 40 degree temps late in the year.
    I think it is fun, I remember practicing in the snow form little league clear through highschool ball.
    If what I say offends you then you really don't want to hear what I keep to myself.

Instead of wasting four pitches with a intentional walk the pitcher should just hit the batter with the ball.
    Plus it would add some needed drama to the game.
    Proud to be a cereal comma user.

Members who have read this thread: 41