We're fukushimaed

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
6 years later.

The radiation level in the containment vessel of reactor 2 at the crippled Fukushima No. 1 power plant has reached a maximum of 530 sieverts per hour, the highest since the triple core meltdown in March 2011, Tokyo Electric Power Co. Holdings Inc. said.Tepco said on Thursday that the blazing radiation reading was taken near the entrance to the space just below the pressure vessel, which contains the reactor core.
The high figure indicates that some of the melted fuel that escaped the pressure vessel is nearby.
At 530 sieverts, a person could die from even brief exposure, highlighting the difficulties ahead as the government and Tepco grope their way toward dismantling all three reactors crippled by the March 2011 disaster.
Tepco also announced that, based on its analysis of images taken by a remote-controlled camera, that there is a 2-meter hole in the metal grating under the pressure vessel in the reactor’s primary containment vessel. It also thinks part of the grating is warped.
The hole could have been caused when the fuel escaped the pressure vessel after the mega-quake and massive tsunami triggered a station blackout that crippled the plant’s ability to cool the reactors.
The searing radiation level, described by some experts as “unimaginable,” far exceeds the previous high of 73 sieverts per hour at the reactor.

nuke the nukes

Hijinx

So what is a sievert?
he SI unit of dose equivalent (the biological effect of ionizing radiation), equal to an effective dose of a joule of energy per kilogram of recipient mass.

So what is a Joule?
he joule (/ˈdʒuːl/), symbol J, is a derived unit of energy in the International System of Units. It is equal to the energy transferred to (or work done on) an object when a force of one newton acts on that object in the direction of its motion through a distance of one metre (1 newton metre or N. · m).

So what is a Newton?
One newton is the force needed to accelerate one kilogram of mass at the rate of one metre per second squared in direction of the applied force.

Now I am sure we all know what this means? It's perfectly clear.

In layman's terms. We are in the deep dookie.

PeoplesElbow

So what is a sievert?

So what is a Joule?

So what is a Newton?

Now I am sure we all know what this means? It's perfectly clear.

In layman's terms. We are in the deep dookie.

It is understandable why you don't know what a Sievert is, you can't see it and don't have anything to relate to it, however you not knowing what a Joule or Newton is demonstrate nothing but ignorance to very common measurements in the SI system (metric).

Joule is analogous to ft-lb, kw-hr, BTU, and a Newton is analogous to a pound.

Hijinx

It is understandable why you don't know what a Sievert is, you can't see it and don't have anything to relate to it, however you not knowing what a Joule or Newton is demonstrate nothing but ignorance to very common measurements in the SI system (metric).

Joule is analogous to ft-lb, kw-hr, BTU, and a Newton is analogous to a pound.

I confess my ignorance of the metric system. I am an old American who came along before our disastrous introduction to metrics.
The only reason I bought metric wrench's is because my jap car uses them.
However as you can see I tried to use google to find out what these measurements were, and to be honest didn't really learn much except.

We are in the deep dookie.

PeoplesElbow

I confess my ignorance of the metric system. I am an old American who came along before our disastrous introduction to metrics.
The only reason I bought metric wrench's is because my jap car uses them.
However as you can see I tried to use google to find out what these measurements were, and to be honest didn't really learn much except.

We are in the deep dookie.

How would you describe a foot or a pound? It is sort of hard to do with words, and most imperial units started out as just some arbitrary value someone pulled out their ass. Imperial units are fine for things like miles, gallons of milk etc, but once you start getting into calculations they become a nightmare.

This trips up more students than the actual material being studied, http://engineering.stackexchange.com/questions/2300/pound-force-lbf-vs-pound-mass-lbm

Last edited:

nutz

WTF is a Sievert

Growing up it was Roentgens ....
in the Military 84-88 that had changed to Grays [I think]

Different types of radiation and different detection methods......Absorbed dose is a measure of the actual energy deposited in an irradiated mass, while the Equivalent dose adds for a biological impact of the radiation type. Effective dose is an aggregation of tissue/organ estimates of the Equivalent dose weighted for the sensitivity of the organs involved, giving an estimate of the impact of absorbed dose on an organism.

A simple conversion is here:
http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/radiation/

Last edited:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
... our disastrous introduction to metrics.

Pffft. Those of us who design, engineer and build actual products have to use the metric system almost exclusively. It's a great system; much more rational and ordered than the old English system that even the English no longer use...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Pffft. Those of us who design, engineer and build actual products have to use the metric system almost exclusively. It's a great system; much more rational and ordered than the old English system that even the English no longer use...

Only American's think things in multiples of 10 is hard to comprehend.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
In Simpson Terms

Attachments

• RadiationGuide1-600x348.jpg
    RadiationGuide1-600x348.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 213

PeoplesElbow

You should have to deal with aircraft mechanics that get something that has metric fasteners, most can't comprehend why something made in Germany has metric fasteners and try to jam a #10 bolt in there until they strip out the threads.

Hijinx

How would you describe a foot or a pound? It is sort of hard to do with words, and most imperial units started out as just some arbitrary value someone pulled out their ass. Imperial units are fine for things like miles, gallons of milk etc, but once you start getting into calculations they become a nightmare.

This trips up more students than the actual material being studied, http://engineering.stackexchange.com/questions/2300/pound-force-lbf-vs-pound-mass-lbm

I don't doubt you. It's just that at 74 I have a problem figuring how many Litres is in a gallon.

nutz

You should have to deal with aircraft mechanics that get something that has metric fasteners, most can't comprehend why something made in Germany has metric fasteners and try to jam a #10 bolt in there until they strip out the threads.

I would bet they have engineers that can't explain the difference in a comprehensible fashion. :razz:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I don't doubt you. It's just that at 74 I have a problem figuring how many Litres is in a gallon.

remembering from my school days ... a liter is close to a quart so roughly speaking 4 l = 1 gal

1L = 0.264172 Gal or 1.05669 Qt

SamSpade

Only American's think things in multiples of 10 is hard to comprehend.

We're just about the only nation on the planet that doesn't use it. Not even the English use the English system.

We're still trying. It's not conversions, it's concepts and what's already deeply embedded in our culture.

For example, is 1.7 meters for a man tall - or short? Did you convert to English to check it out?
If he weighs 80 kg, is he fat for that height.

It's 37 degrees C outside - is that hot?

Gas is 60 cents a liter - is that higher or lower than it was?

How do I follow a recipe when all of the liquids are in milliliters? How many cups is that?
None of my measuring stuff has liters on it. What about tablespoons and teaspoons?

For someone using metric - these judgments are automatic - you know how much a 1.7 meter tall man ought to weigh if he is slim.
You don't have to "convert" to check it out.

THAT is the hurdle, and it's hard.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Not even the English use the English system.

Did you convert to English to check it out?
If he weighs 80 kg, is he fat for that height.

I have a friend on the UK - 8 yrs younger - she still uses 'Stone' weight

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
That's what high torque impact guns were invented for.